Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Any updates on this for AS yet?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Perferred Plus
Assuming the GC route is truly dead...

Does anyone know other ways to take advantage of the reimbursement and end up with funds in your AS wallet? For instance, if I purchase extra bags for an upcoming flight then show up with less bags and ask for a refund at the airport, can they refund to your online wallet -- or only back to the CC?

Open to creative solutions here, as an incidental fee refund doesn't provide much utility to those of us with status.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS
It is official, at least for me. Received statement and it has Alaskagiftcert posted as charge and balance due for full amount.
We also have status and using this benefit is going to be very limited. Not sure it is worth the annual fee.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
Can't really fault them for finally closing their loophole, but its still disappointing; I got the card in the recent 100K point promo, but would have spent more time considering the Citi card instead.

Does anyone have any creative ideas about how elites can use the credit besides Board Room membership and buying a few gallons of inflight booze when in economy?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
I see a couple of reports of auto-reimbursements for GC purchases in the last couple of days on the AA thread. Anybody here who's already selected AS and hasn't yet used their $200 want to test the waters?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Wifey tested the waters about 2 weeks ago. No sign of credit posted yet. We'll see - fingers crossed.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:53 pm

I haven't been reimbursed for any of my charges on AS: including gift certificate as well as on board purchase of food (which should reimburse without a problem).

Double checked and my Platinum Amex card indeed has AS selected as the airline of choice.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
What dates are your charges?
So far only charges after 9/28 or so are getting automatically reimbursed.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:07 pm

Just tested the waters with a $100 GC purchase. Will report back when/if the reimbursement posts.

EDIT: Looks like the pending transaction category is "Category: Travel - Airline". Fingers crossed it posts that way and not as GC or cash equivalent.

Last edited by bherman; Oct 7, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS
Gary Leff (viewfromthewing) is reporting today that GC purchases SEEM to be getting reimbursed again.
If you purchased during "dead month" Aug 31 - Sept 31, DO NOT CALL and try to get credit retroactively. They will not do it, avoid sending up alarm bells??
I see AA getting through but, no reports of Alaska. It seems to be a coding thing. AA records as misc purchase. Alaska clearing posts as Gift certificate.
again, anyone want to try??
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:21 am

Had several miscellaneous charges related to award travel on 9/9. Chatted today and rep volunteered to post manually. No problem.
Bought 2 $50 GCs today. Concerned that AmEx is showing a $100 charge, instead of 2@$50. We'll see what happens. I will wait four weeks then chat as necessary.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by bherman
Just tested the waters with a $100 GC purchase. Will report back when/if the reimbursement posts.

EDIT: Looks like the pending transaction category is "Category: Travel - Airline". Fingers crossed it posts that way and not as GC or cash equivalent.
Update: Looks like the transaction posted as "ALASKA AIR GIFT CERTSEATTLE WA". The category is still "Travel - Airline" and the description is "AIRLINE FBO". I think FBO stands for "Fixed based operator" (based on a quick google search).

Given it's called out as a gift certificate in the transaction line, I'm not holding out a ton of hope. But if any credit posts, I'll be sure to let you all know!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
"ALASKA AIR GIFT CERTSEATTLE WA"

This is also what posted for me. Bought a $25 GC on Wednesday night to test it. No credit yet.

Edit: $25 posted Oct 10!

Last edited by DCA-SEA; Oct 12, 2015 at 10:28 pm Reason: good news
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:06 pm

GOOD NEWS!!!

Purchased one $100.00 gift certificate on 09/18/15.
Purchased one $100.00 gift certificate on 09/20/15.
Coded as ALASKA AIR GIFT CERTSEATTLE WA

Billing statement on 10/09/15 shows two separate Airline Fee Reimbursements for $100.00 each.

Looks like were back in business.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rodeojones
GOOD NEWS!!!

Purchased one $100.00 gift certificate on 09/18/15.
Purchased one $100.00 gift certificate on 09/20/15.
Coded as ALASKA AIR GIFT CERTSEATTLE WA

Billing statement on 10/09/15 shows two separate Airline Fee Reimbursements for $100.00 each.

Looks like were back in business.
+1

Just received my monthly statement; credits all over the place including tax I had to pay on an award ticket I booked, inflight purchases and a gift certificate.

Edit: Break down of what I paid for and how it was reimbursed: http://singleflyer.com/2015/10/10/am...reimbursement/

Last edited by Single_Flyer; Oct 10, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.