Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 14, 17, 10:51 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.


Link to buy gift certicates


According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem.

To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)



Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jan 12, 18, 2:51 am
  #661
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by lyniguez View Post
not sure if this will work but booking SEA to YVR in May/June one way is 99.23 total

It needs to be under $99 or else it will round up.
Mike Andersen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 18, 10:32 am
  #662
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YVR to SEA
Posts: 2,129
Lax SFO one ways are 48.xx each. Book for 4 separate passengers and they should all post individually
crimsona is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 18, 3:37 pm
  #663
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 22
finally was able to find 3 flights for 69, 69, 64 and total came out to under $200.

the actual flight amounts came out to 68.05, 68.05, 63.30 for a total of 199.40.
lyniguez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 18, 3:08 pm
  #664
2018 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 130
Upgraded seats for 2 on a RT flight. Two separate charges for $58 on Amex PRG. Posted 1/9, a $58 and a $42 credit on 1/12.
beastieb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 18, 6:03 am
  #665
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
I called in and now AMEX claims to have manually put my credit for the Dec 31 charge but said it would take 48 hours for it to show up. I will believe it when I see it. Still waiting and terrible delay.
Mike Andersen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 18, 10:05 pm
  #666
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Unbelievably terrible I called in today and they said the manual reimbursement was denied so I have to have the do a manual resubmit again.

Each time I have to explain it again from scratch to a non supervisor agent, even though they claimed to have written notes and it takes ten minutes or more because every agent is confused.

Now it can take 5 calendar days - supposedly the credit was approved by the supervisor on the phone I spoke to live.



Last time I will ever buy anything on January 1 again from AMEX.

Last edited by Mike Andersen; Jan 14, 18 at 10:11 pm
Mike Andersen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 18, 4:51 am
  #667
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Programs: SPG Gold
Posts: 21
Just to clarify, is it critical to wait 24 hours before canceling the ticket and transferring the funds to the wallet? Or can we immediately cancel the ticket after the purchase and move the funds over to the wallet?

If itís not being refunded to credit card does it matter?
FlyerGuy10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 18, 2:27 pm
  #668
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
Date points for Platinum American Express. Gold 75k member:

Jan 4 $1.35 tax
Jan 4 $41.30 tix
Jan 9 Airline reimbursement for both

Jan 8 $96.30 one way tix
Jan 12 Airline reimbursement

I plan to call and cancel the tix and ask the tix to be deposited to my wallet. Seems like it is working so far so I plan on doing for the AmEx Gold $100 as well. It's unclear whether cancelling online will allow for the auto deposit to the wallet so I figure it's easier to call.
seattlefreqflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 18, 2:37 pm
  #669
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: HNL
Programs: AS MVP, HA Plat
Posts: 523
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy10 View Post
Just to clarify, is it critical to wait 24 hours before canceling the ticket and transferring the funds to the wallet? Or can we immediately cancel the ticket after the purchase and move the funds over to the wallet?

If it’s not being refunded to credit card does it matter?
I haven't seen the option to cancel and deposit to the wallet until after the 24-hour refund period has expired, but I haven't looked very hard. It's easy enough to wait out the refund period and cancel the second morning after the day of purchase.

Last edited by WrightHI; Jan 15, 18 at 2:43 pm Reason: clarity
WrightHI is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 18, 6:22 pm
  #670
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 5
I was actually thinking about booking one of those Alaska airfare deals at $59 (including taxes and fees) for a quick weekend get away. So I won't be cancelling the booking. Round trip so $59 x 2.

Dumb question:
I have a PRG, so only $100 of credit. If I do two separate bookings at $59 each, will the first booking get fully reimbursed and the second booking get $41 of reimbursement, where I pay the rest of the $18 out of pocket?
churnbie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 18, 10:49 pm
  #671
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 133
Originally Posted by churnbie View Post
I was actually thinking about booking one of those Alaska airfare deals at $59 (including taxes and fees) for a quick weekend get away. So I won't be cancelling the booking. Round trip so $59 x 2.

Dumb question:
I have a PRG, so only $100 of credit. If I do two separate bookings at $59 each, will the first booking get fully reimbursed and the second booking get $41 of reimbursement, where I pay the rest of the $18 out of pocket?
Yes. Assuming, of course, that the ineligible expense type is allowed. Cheers.
jeepie is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 18, 3:39 am
  #672
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by WrightHI View Post
I haven't seen the option to cancel and deposit to the wallet until after the 24-hour refund period has expired, but I haven't looked very hard. It's easy enough to wait out the refund period and cancel the second morning after the day of purchase.
As I understand it, within 24 hours of booking you are allowed to cancel an Alaska Air flight without penalty, so the payment is automatically refunded to the card used to pay for it. After 24 hours but less than 60 days before the booking, you can cancel and are given three options for the refund, one of which is to deposit the money to your Alaska Air "wallet". Such funds need to be used within a year of the original booking date. You don't see these options until you begin the cancellation process.
Drolmala is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 18, 3:51 pm
  #673
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by lyniguez View Post
finally was able to find 3 flights for 69, 69, 64 and total came out to under $200.

the actual flight amounts came out to 68.05, 68.05, 63.30 for a total of 199.40.
reimbursements for all 3 came through yesterday
lyniguez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 18, 12:05 pm
  #674
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by seattlefreqflyer View Post
Date points for Platinum American Express. Gold 75k member:

Jan 4 $1.35 tax
Jan 4 $41.30 tix
Jan 9 Airline reimbursement for both

Jan 8 $96.30 one way tix
Jan 12 Airline reimbursement

I plan to call and cancel the tix and ask the tix to be deposited to my wallet. Seems like it is working so far so I plan on doing for the AmEx Gold $100 as well. It's unclear whether cancelling online will allow for the auto deposit to the wallet so I figure it's easier to call.
I received reimbursements for additional flights and was able to cancel online easily. This seems to work! Not as great as the gift cards since those didn't expire and the wallet needs to be used in 1 year, but definitely a usable work around. Thanks to whoever figured this out!
seattlefreqflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 18, 3:58 pm
  #675
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 80
Apologies in advance as I am trying to grasp the concept of so many things here and could use some help. Just approved for the Amex Aspire card that includes $250 airline fee reimbursement. I am also an Alaska Signature Visa Cardholder who has a buy one get one voucher that I was about to book with my Aspire (7xBonus pts) for a one way from OGG to DAL that will cost $457 including the companion fare. If I set up AS as my airline of choice with Amex how would I be able to work this to my advantage for this flight using the method mentioned that seems to be working? I am new to AS so I have no idea how my wallet works, but if I was to book a few flights under $99 and cancel them 24 hours later how do I have all of those funds credited to my wallet if they are all not booked under my name? Please help I am so lost here but would like to have as much of the $250 credit on my Amex go towards this $457 flight I am about to book.

Also follow up question regarding my wallet. If I book a few flights and then cancel them and elect for a credit certificate, am I allowed to deposit those certificates into my husband's "my wallet" or do they have to go into my wallet since I booked the flights?

Last edited by Jenn0625; Jan 19, 18 at 4:19 pm
Jenn0625 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 am.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright © 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.