Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
All I can think of is that while the lounge pass would involve using the full $200 at a go, Amex has that set up as a specifically approved transaction.

The company store must be somehow included as a trove of incidentals; merchant description was ALASKA AIR CO STORE 0293, SPECIALTY RETAIL.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
$99.20 transaction Saturday posted to my account Tuesday. Reimbursement posted today (Friday), AFAICT (pretty sure I looked yesterday and didn't see it), but transaction date of the reimbursement is showing as Wednesday. ^
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
$99.20 transaction Saturday posted to my account Tuesday. Reimbursement posted today (Friday), AFAICT (pretty sure I looked yesterday and didn't see it), but transaction date of the reimbursement is showing as Wednesday. ^
What ticket did you buy? I want to buy one for similar price and then cancel the ticket before the 60 change fee window. All the fare I see are either over 100 or close to 90 but nothing that close to 100.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by darwinwins
What ticket did you buy? I want to buy one for similar price and then cancel the ticket before the 60 change fee window. All the fare I see are either over 100 or close to 90 but nothing that close to 100.
I think it was an intra-state in Washington, like maybe YAK-SEA or EAT-SEA or something.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:15 am

Bought a $78.19 ticket on Alaska on 11/7, had to cancel it with in the 24-hour window as plans changed, got refund on 11/9 by Alaska, and still got AMEX airline reimbursement on 11/13.. Will this be clawed back?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AS
As has been reported, probably not. This is going to be our plan for 2018. Now that we can no longer get reimbursement for GC on AS.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
As has been reported, probably not. This is going to be our plan for 2018. Now that we can no longer get reimbursement for GC on AS.
The other reports seem to suggest that the difference in price from gift cards was credited, but I see 2 credits for the same cancelled flight, one from Alaska and other from AMEX.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
$94 and $96 flights purchased 11/9, still no credit
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Give that a couple of more days - AS is slow about finalizing the transactions out of pending status, and then it takes two or three days after that for the credit to kick in.
jackal likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
Re credits if using AS

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Did a quick search on the $200 airline credit and came up empty, so...

1. Am I correct in assuming that the credit can cover change fees but NOT upgrade fees (such as the $75 AA co-pay for domestic upgrades)?
2. Is it possible to use this credit for purchasing airline gift cards?
3. This seems clear from the discussion here, but just in case this has changed: It is $200 per calendar year, right?

Thanks for any help!
My experience over two years shows inconsistency in what "counts". In 2016 I used the $200 in gift certs ($100, 2 x $50) and they were reimbursed. Tried that in 2017, no soap - phone call to Amex said "no GCs". Then I noticed that various charges (on AmEx card) for small AS costs got reimbursed: TSA fees on mileage tickets, additional fare due to ticket changes. Fares are not fees, but who knows how these get flagged as reimbursable?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:26 pm

Just had some cheap flights successfully reimbursed. I booked two $73.20 flights and a $53.70 flight on 11/13. They were reimbursed yesterday (11/17)!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I changed a ticket from cost $X to $X+$117 on October 23, charged the whole $117 to my Mercedes Platinum Amex, it has not been reimbursed yet. This is a no-brainer, legit use of the benefit within the T&C, right? (ie I don't need to make up some clever story when I call them to give me the credit)
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
Glad it worked out ^

Originally Posted by akdancer
Fares are not fees, but who knows how these get flagged as reimbursable?
I think its due to the amounts being lower, therefore AX assumes they are "fees" based on internal coding.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
Seems so, but they did not reimburse a $25 gift cert, so Amex must get some kind of "category of expense" from AS. Not just small amounts, IMO.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by akdancer
... they did not reimburse a $25 gift cert,...
If I recall correctly this is because Alaska Airlines uses a different merchant account to sell gift certificates. They are not reimbursed because they are not AS transactions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.