Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

When you purchase your Gift Cards, you may wish to do it through one of these links; a portion of the purchase price will be donated to the applicable charity:

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/komen-gift-card

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out

to donate $5/$50 GC to Susan G. Komen for the Cure;

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card to donate to the USO;

or to donate to UNCF:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/american-air...uncf-gift-card

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See post 1115 for first details of this.

Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE. REPORTS OF AMEX NOT ALLOWING CREDIT IF NOT SELECTED PRIOR.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See what is currently post 519 for first details of this.

Post 1126 proves to be current, regarding NJ residents. YMMV, until there are more DP's.

Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
AA reimbursement of NJ residents

Can anyone confirm any recent experiences of being able to buy AA cards as a NJ resident? Last related post was 1155 and did not see any one successful in buying. Thank you

Last edited by frmnj; Apr 19, 2014 at 6:12 pm
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:50 pm

Forgot to update this. I chatted with a CSR a second time and they posted the credit manually. Probably wouldn't have gotten it had I not done so.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: Kettle Class
After multiple contacts using the "Leave us a Message" feature of the website, my reimbursement still has not posted, nearly 4 weeks after I purchased the AA GC.

Finally found someone on Online Chat who said that as a "one time exception" they would manually push the credit through within 2-3 days.

I would recommend folks to follow up immediately with Cardmember Services if the credit does not post within 72 hours.

Originally Posted by progapanda
ditto, $100 GC purchased on 3/27, but still no reimbursement.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: AA(xPLT now GLD), UA, DL, HH(GLD), MR(GLD), HY(DIS), and others...
UPDATE: I bought a $200 gc that posted on 4/16. There has not been a credit yet. I am wondering whether it is time to call about this and, if so, what the conversation is with the Amex rep since gift cards are not officially allowable "fees".

What have people who have gotten the credit said to agents to get it applied?

Eric
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:57 am

I was reimbursed for $500 worth but the last $200 has not posted and its been a week now..
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by echoch
UPDATE: I bought a $200 gc that posted on 4/16. There has not been a credit yet. I am wondering whether it is time to call about this and, if so, what the conversation is with the Amex rep since gift cards are not officially allowable "fees".

What have people who have gotten the credit said to agents to get it applied?

Eric
If you call manually, (I had to twice, once because I didn't know you had to wait 14 days for a manual credit), they WILL ask you what the charge was for. They are not supposed to apply the credit for gift cards, so you will have to equivocate. "Miscellaneous Fees" is hard to argue with because that's what the charge says on your statement. If they press you for detail (they didn't with me), change fee is a good answer, now that change fees are $200. And you can still sleep at night, because if I'm not mistaken, you have the option to use that gift card to pay for a future change fee!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I bought a $200 gift card against a proactively-offered $200 lounge-loss credit last Monday. According to AmEx.com, I got the credit by the following Thursday (listed as AMEX SPECIAL OFFER - CREDIT FOR AA/USAIR). However, I didn't notice the credit until this Thursday, so it may have actually taken longer to post.

Regardless, I got the credit without calling.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA(xPLT now GLD), UA, DL, HH(GLD), MR(GLD), HY(DIS), and others...
Online Chat may not be the best place to go....

After multiple contacts using the "Leave us a Message" feature of the website, my reimbursement still has not posted, nearly 4 weeks after I purchased the AA GC.

Finally found someone on Online Chat who said that as a "one time exception" they would manually push the credit through within 2-3 days.

I would recommend folks to follow up immediately with Cardmember Services if the credit does not post within 72 hours.

I tried the online chat and worked with a very friendly representative who wrote that I needed to call the Platinum customer care line to get this taken care of. He confirmed that the credit was on the account but he said that his group was not able to handle these types of transactions.

So, I just called the Plat line and spoke to another friendly representative who checked and confirmed the purchase and the credit offer, but said it would be taken care of at the end of my billing cycle (which she said was this weekend). She said "don't worry", it will be taken care of.

I will keep watching for it.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by kingarthur
... And you can still sleep at night, because if I'm not mistaken, you have the option to use that gift card to pay for a future change fee!
Can you really use these GC for change fee? I thought these are good only for tickets not tax and fees.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Bought a $100 AA E-gift card on 4/23. Got my $100 reimbursement posted on 4/26.

I chatted once about it and the chat rep said that it would be done by the end of the billing cycle and was surprised to see automatically done after 3 days automatically based on the reports here.

4/23
AMERICAN AIRLINES E TKT
AMERICAN AIRLINES-CCS
7645 E 63RD ST, SUITE 600
TULSA
OK
UNITED STATES
Additional Information:
AMERICAN AIRLINES
Reference:
Category: Travel - Airline
Flight Details
Passenger Name:
Date of Departure: 04/23
Ticket Number: 0010651039848
Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)

Apr26

AMEX Special Offer - Credit for AA/USAir
-$100.00
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:49 am

I purchased 3 x $100 virtual gift certs on 4/19/14. I haven't been reimbursed yet so I called a CSR today. I first asked if they had AA listed as my designated airline. The CSR said yes. She also said I still had the $300 credit toward AA incidentals. $200 was for the annual credit, $100 was for the one time credit for AA lounges. I asked her if I was going to be reimbursed for the charges on 4/19. She asked what the charges were for. I told her it was designated as a misc charges. I was trying to be vague. She said if the charge was going to be reimbursed it would have happened within 48hrs of the purchase. She asked again what the charge was for. I told her for a virtual certificate. She didn't know what that was. She asked if I could look up the charge to see exactly what it was for. She was not pushing this through.I told her it was a virtual gift certificate. She said "oh, yeah, uh they're not gonna reimburse a GC". I said(lying)I thought I could use the credit for anything but an airline ticket? She then told me the things I could use the credit for. I asked her if I was going to be credited for the charge. She said no. I said "ok, thanks for your time..." she then interrupted me and said "wait, let me talk to a supervisor to see if we can credit you. I said ok. She put me on hold for a minute and came back and said "ok, you'll be credited within 72 hours". I thanked her and then we talked about the lounge program a little. So, it seems I will get reimbursed but it was a little more difficult than I thought it would be.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:13 pm

I called about my $200 credit that I was advised I had from the email way back, just to verify it was there; and then I asked when it expired, and was told at the end of the year. Though the agent didn't seem to be as knowledgable about it, and I also asked her about the Global Entry benefit and she really didn't know and had to look it up. She was very nice though.

I also have another Plat card that I'm account manager on, and for this card I received an email that only mentioned the regular $200 credit that we get every year (not this extra $100/$500 for the AA-related lounge passes). So I had her look at it to see if it was there on his card, and mentioned something that we had never received any email for that card; but that a lot of people were saying they got $100 and didn't receive a letter; and sure enough she looked and said that $100 had been added.

So I thanked her. And was happy to see I can get $100 more for the AA lounge fiasco (when I wasn't expecting to get anything).

However, I am looking forward to the free airport internet benefit for Plat cards that is supposed to be coming.... though I haven't heard any more about it recently.

Though now not exactly sure what to do about using the $200 & $100 credits since I have always bought $100 AA virtual gift cards... I really hate to have to go fetch the money by calling. What to do?

Last edited by lbotez; Apr 30, 2014 at 2:19 pm
Old May 1, 2014, 8:34 pm

So I want to make sure I'm understanding this right. People that are having to call to have their credits manually applied are those who got the additional credit for the loss of lounge access? The yearly $200 credit for incidentals can still be used for GC purchases without having to call AMEX.

Is this correct?
Old May 2, 2014, 6:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by edwin444pr
...People that are having to call to have their credits manually applied are those who got the additional credit for the loss of lounge access?
There is no correlation. Both credits were applied automatically to Ms mia's account last week.
Old May 2, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
YMMV, but after about 6 weeks of following up via chat and online message, Amex has declined to reimburse an AA GC I purchased to use the additional $100 credit I was offered on AA/US in lieu of the loss of Admirals Club lounge access benefit.

Amex asked me to explain what kind of charge it was after I requested they look into why the credit had not posted automatically. They then found the "misc." charge to be ineligible. Previously, another representative I spoke to had promised me that as a "one-time exception", the credit would be posted within 2-3 business hours. The next representative I chatted with found no record of that promise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.