Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

When you purchase your Gift Cards, you may wish to do it through one of these links; a portion of the purchase price will be donated to the applicable charity:

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/komen-gift-card

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out

to donate $5/$50 GC to Susan G. Komen for the Cure;

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card to donate to the USO;

or to donate to UNCF:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/american-air...uncf-gift-card

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See post 1115 for first details of this.

Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE. REPORTS OF AMEX NOT ALLOWING CREDIT IF NOT SELECTED PRIOR.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See what is currently post 519 for first details of this.

Post 1126 proves to be current, regarding NJ residents. YMMV, until there are more DP's.

Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by pritomd
Let's say I make a purchase in December that should be qualified for reimbursement. But because of system delays, reimbursement doesn't land until January. Will I still be eligible for $100 credit in 2016 if the purchase was $100 and made in the calendar month of December?
I think it depends on the date that your statement ends on. My statement ends on 12/25 so a purchase in December should be credited. I'm not sure about the credit if your purchase shows up in a statement that ends in January.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:25 pm

Just spoke with AMEX rep via chat.

I just got a PRG and used it to purchase the $100 GC 2 days ago. Noticed my new statement closes on 1/XX/2016 so was a bit leery if I would get my credit for 2015.

Anyhow, he said not to worry it is based of transaction date and I should have no issue receiving the credit for 2015 even if the statement closes in 2016.

Fingers crossed.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Gift cards ... really?

Originally Posted by crazE1
purchased $100 gift card on Dec 04 still waiting on reimbursement. when I messaged AMEX rep said it would show up when statement closed. that wasn't the case before.
Originally Posted by Mohef
Just spoke with AMEX rep via chat.

I just got a PRG and used it to purchase the $100 GC 2 days ago. Noticed my new statement closes on 1/XX/2016 so was a bit leery if I would get my credit for 2015.

Anyhow, he said not to worry it is based of transaction date and I should have no issue receiving the credit for 2015 even if the statement closes in 2016.

Fingers crossed.
In your interactions with Amex, are you saying that you bought AA GCs?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by wesheltonj
purchased $100 gift card on Dec 2, no reimbursement as of Dec 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.
My statement closed on the Dec 8th, NO credit for the gift certificate. Looks like AMEX is now enforcing no gift certificates.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by wesheltonj
My statement closed on the Dec 8th, NO credit for the gift certificate. Looks like AMEX is now enforcing no gift certificates.
Thanks for the data point. Sigh....
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Of course NOT
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:27 am

Still no credit for GC purchased on Dec 1 (previously thought it was the 4th). statement closed on the 9th
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:38 am

Any rhyme or reason, is this dead? Just got the Plat, and looking to choose preferred airline. Would like AA, but would reconsider if this is dead.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
No I just mentioned " airline credit "
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jacobslide
Any rhyme or reason, is this dead? Just got the Plat, and looking to choose preferred airline. Would like AA, but would reconsider if this is dead.

Thoughts?
This is a system-wide backlog. People in other airlines' threads are having the same reimbursement problems, even for legit airline fees, Global Entry, etc (not 'gift cards'). Don't worry about it.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:27 am

Yeah seems to be a system wide backlog that began 12/1
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:07 am

Purchased $100 gift card on 12/5. Statement closed yesterday (12/10). No reimbursement yet...
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by Mohef
THis is good if actually true, hope that rep is right. I'm more worried about this than if GC aren't accepted...I think it's just a backlog like a month or two or three ago...whcih is fine, but my concern is counting for 2015 so I can do 2016 right away again in a few weeks
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Data point (but not positive). Purchased $100 AA GC on Dec 7th, still no credit. Hope it is just backlog related. My statement closes Dec 24th.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:59 pm

bought 2 $100 AA egift cards Dec 8. Statement closed two days later. No credit on the account yet. Also bought $100 on a gold card and no reimbursement yet on that either. Probably backlogged...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.