Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

When you purchase your Gift Cards, you may wish to do it through one of these links; a portion of the purchase price will be donated to the applicable charity:

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/komen-gift-card

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out

to donate $5/$50 GC to Susan G. Komen for the Cure;

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card to donate to the USO;

or to donate to UNCF:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/american-air...uncf-gift-card

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See post 1115 for first details of this.

Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE. REPORTS OF AMEX NOT ALLOWING CREDIT IF NOT SELECTED PRIOR.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See what is currently post 519 for first details of this.

Post 1126 proves to be current, regarding NJ residents. YMMV, until there are more DP's.

Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by poortripplanner
$200 on Dec. 27th, still no credit
$200 in 1 transaction or spread across multiple?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: US CP, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
For those who got reimbursed for purchases made after January 1st, what were the descriptions on your online activities?

Bought $100 on January 5th using KOMEN link. Charge posted now with this description

MISC. CHARGE ORDER (MCO)/PREPAID TICKET AUTH.

This is different from the description last August which read:

MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)

I wonder if AA has changed the billing description since the beginning of the year. Might not see an automatic reimbursement based on the new description.

So if those who have gotten reimbursements for 2015 transactions could post the description(s) shown on their online activities, would be a great service to the community.

TIA.
Note: used "KOMEN" link. Bought both on same day, immediately right after the other one (only seconds apart).

Screenshot of my transactions (the blanked out areas are just a bunch of numbers and personal info):

Last edited by jamesnine; Jan 7, 2015 at 5:12 pm
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Thx for posting the above. My $200 purchase from Jan. 3 is identical to this, and hasn't been reimbursed yet. Gives me hope...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:07 pm

Used the komen link. Purchased 2 x $100 cert on 1/4 . Credit posted 1/6.

Last edited by cyberUAL; Jan 7, 2015 at 10:27 pm Reason: .
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:09 pm

Sounds like no one has had luck so far with a single $200?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by nrdk
Sounds like no one has had luck so far with a single $200?
Single $200 charge on Jan. 3. Still no credit.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:05 am

Purchased 2 x $100 on 1/5. Credits posted 1/7.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:54 am

I did a single $200 on Dec 16. Waited till Dec31 before calling and talking with a csr. She ended up honoring the charge. I got the reimbursement later that day.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
2 $100 GCs purchased 1/5, credits posted 1/8
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you everyone who posted the details, especially the screen shot from jamesnine, that looked exactly the same as ours.

Credit posted today for the 1/5 purchase of $100 using KOMEN link.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
$50 GC purchased on 1/5 and got reimbursement on 1/7. And, for those that are worried about how the purchase is being coded, GC coded as "Document Type: MISC. CHARGE ORDER (MCO)/PREPAID TICKET AUTH." and doing business as "AMERICAN AIRLINES E TKT".
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
$50 GC purchased on 1/5 and got reimbursement on 1/7. And, for those that are worried about how the purchase is being coded, GC coded as "Document Type: MISC. CHARGE ORDER (MCO)/PREPAID TICKET AUTH." and doing business as "AMERICAN AIRLINES E TKT".
Thanks,
I placed 2 $100.00 gift cards which showed up as one $200.00 charge on 1/2/15. No reimbursement as of today, but it is coded as yours. In the years past I always received reimbursement in 48 hours.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, BA, HH
Document Type: MISC. CHARGE ORDER (MCO)/PREPAID TICKET AUTH.

posted on 01/05 and credit on 01/07
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
My goodness, we should ban all these dramatic posts from everyone, including from me!

So I bought a $100 GC on 1/1, and was reimbursed 1/3; and then another $100 GC on 1/5, and was reimbursed 1/7. No drama, no muss, no fuss.

Don't buy a $200 GC. I wouldn't even buy 2 $100 cards in the same on-line session or even on the same day (which is what I did last August). I sure wouldn't buy a physical gift card either. All of those things might work out ok -- especially with a manual override -- but why take chances when the "no drama" path is so clear and so easy?

So we're done with all the drama here, right?

Oh, and one small reminder that most people won't need: remember that the $200 works on a calendar year, not a membership year basis, i.e., you can effectively get $400 back in your first membership year by straddling New Years with your GC purchases.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Originally Posted by elkhornne
Thanks,
I placed 2 $100.00 gift cards which showed up as one $200.00 charge on 1/2/15. No reimbursement as of today, but it is coded as yours. In the years past I always received reimbursement in 48 hours.
So, last year, my 200$ purchase (bought a single 200$ GC) coded just as I described but was never auto-reimbursed; had to call in and have CSR manually reimburse (CSR had no issue doing this). If it doesn't come in 4 weeks, call in! Many FT's are getting so worried that they didn't receive auto-reimbursement. If it doesn't come within 4 weeks, call up CSR and have them manually reimburse and tell them that the purchase was for baggage fees. If you don't want to call, use the online chat and they can do it there too! This happened to me last year and CSR had no issues at all doing this and, in fact, he never asked what the purchase was for at all. I just came out an told him that it was baggage fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.