Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

When you purchase your Gift Cards, you may wish to do it through one of these links; a portion of the purchase price will be donated to the applicable charity:

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/komen-gift-card

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out

to donate $5/$50 GC to Susan G. Komen for the Cure;

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card to donate to the USO;

or to donate to UNCF:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/american-air...uncf-gift-card

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See post 1115 for first details of this.

Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE. REPORTS OF AMEX NOT ALLOWING CREDIT IF NOT SELECTED PRIOR.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See what is currently post 519 for first details of this.

Post 1126 proves to be current, regarding NJ residents. YMMV, until there are more DP's.

Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by AAAnand
My first post and first time getting the virtual GCs! Just bought 4 $50 GCs - will post here once I see the refund - hopefully in a week or two
Got refund on Dec 9 - in 5 days. I'll be chancing 2 $100 GCs after the turn of the year - it looks like some folks have had success with that!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA, Gold Hilton, Gold SPG
I bought 2 GC on Dec 6th. One for $75 and second for $125.
A refund was issued from AMEX on Dec 11 for both ^^
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG G
Bought 2X $100 e-gift cards on 12/8 and received refund 5 days later,the 13th.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by olgsr
Bought 2X $100 e-gift cards on 12/8 and received refund 5 days later,the 13th.
one transaction or two?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG G
Originally Posted by yoyo
one transaction or two?
2 separate ones
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by olgsr
2 separate ones
Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:32 am
tsz

Usually use the credit for United. Got $200 credit from losing access to AA/US clubs. Bought a $100 GC using the KOMEN link in the wiki on 12/11; transaction posted 12/13 and credited 12/15.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:35 am

Bought $100 AA gift card on 12/12, reimbursement date listed online as 12/16, but didn't see it there yesterday. So for me, 12/12 purchase -> 12/17 reimbursement posted.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:01 pm

Update - tried calling rather than chat and was able to get it switched.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, CET Diamond, MGM Gold
No dice yet on reimbursement for 4 x $50 GC's purchased 12/4
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I purchases on 12/9 and have only been reimbursed 4.95 processing free so far. What's recommended at this point?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, CET Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by gohan403
I purchases on 12/9 and have only been reimbursed 4.95 processing free so far. What's recommended at this point?
As others above have advised, wait two weeks. However, a $200 total purchase may be a threshold for non-reimbursement. I only have my own experience to comment on, but I was not reimbursed for 4 x $50 GC's that are going to be given to co-workers and relatives (I ordered them on 12/4). I was reimbursed for the $4.95 S/H, though. So just after the two-week mark I ordered $100 and $95 eGift Cards (two separate orders on the same day, hours apart) and was credited within two days. If you are willing to part with $200, then this may be the way to go.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Yes, I wouldn't try to push through anything that posts as $200 let alone something over that, e.g., $204.95. I think 4 x $50 or 2 x $100 is the way to go, purchased in different on-line sessions so each piece goes through 100% separately. If you do it all at once, it'll still post as one transaction, based on my personal experience earlier this year. I did get reimbursed, but why live life on the edge?

(And, yes, I know: MSing and Churning are ALL about living life on the edge, which maybe explains why I do neither.)
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: platinum card
Hey guys I forgot to do this this year I have $250 in statement credit I think on my platinum card us American Airlines still the best? Have people had success with buying a 200 card or are the 50 $ cards still the best bet wanted to buy them tomorrow. Or if there was a better deal.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by nottooshabby
No dice yet on reimbursement for 4 x $50 GC's purchased 12/4
I would not have purchased them on the same day. Nonetheless be patient.

Originally Posted by bombadilio
Hey guys I forgot to do this this year I have $250 in statement credit I think on my platinum card us American Airlines still the best? Have people had success with buying a 200 card or are the 50 $ cards still the best bet wanted to buy them tomorrow. Or if there was a better deal.
You have a $200 fee credit. Do not buy a $200 gift card. Buy four $50 cards on different days. You have enough days left this year to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.