Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

When you purchase your Gift Cards, you may wish to do it through one of these links; a portion of the purchase price will be donated to the applicable charity:

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/komen-gift-card

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out

to donate $5/$50 GC to Susan G. Komen for the Cure;

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card to donate to the USO;

or to donate to UNCF:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/american-air...uncf-gift-card

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See post 1115 for first details of this.

Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE. REPORTS OF AMEX NOT ALLOWING CREDIT IF NOT SELECTED PRIOR.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See what is currently post 519 for first details of this.

Post 1126 proves to be current, regarding NJ residents. YMMV, until there are more DP's.

Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ddallas
Just don't order $200 on one order, you might not get reimbursed. Make two orders of $100. Search this thread for previous posts about AA gift cards and you will see others reports about this. Since gift cards are something that is on the list of charges that are officially not reimbursed, you want to keep the amount of the order below the threshold of a human looking at it. Seems like $100 will fly under the radar for just about anything billed by your selected airline.
Sorry, I have spent about $110 of my credit with AA and had anticipated using all of it by now, but apparently checking luggage to St Lucia is free, and I had planned on using all of my credit then since I got married and honeymoon down there. Just need to get $100 gift card and will be fine. But I don't fly AA often so I was thinking of selling the gift card online...
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
AAward ticket phone fees

Booked 4 AA awards over the phone. The four $25 fees showed up as one $100 line item but were reimbursed

Also booked 2 other AA tickets and paid mostly with GCs, with about $20 left over per ticket. Charged it to the Amex Plat to see if it would get reimbursed, but no dice yet.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLAT, Starwood PLT, Hilton Silver
I'm trying AA GC's in $50 increments. Got 1 and will see if they reimburse. How soon after a statement date should I expect to see a credit if they do it?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLAT, Starwood PLT, Hilton Silver
I'm going to end up having 8 $50 AA certificates because I accidentally bought 4 for $200 before I setup AA as my preferred airline with the Platinum Card. So now I'm getting another 4 for $200 haha. I know I'll end up using them eventually so it's not a big as deal as they don't expire (I looked everywhere but saw nothing about an expiration in the T&C) and you can actually use up to 8 GC's per Itinierary so that works out perfect for me.

You coud always buy a round of drinks for the entire plane like someone did earlier in this thread
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I've used my 4 AA GCs, and I see no downside.
Me either. Easy to buy online versions. They never expire. I had no problem using mine. Easy to use, like typing in a credit card number, and you can use up to 8 on one ticket so no problem if you get the smaller denominations like 4 $50.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Amex Plat
There doesnt seem to be any consistency with reimbursements for my AA bookings:
09/11/2011 AA AIR TICKET SALE 4DALLAS TX 5.00
09/14/2011 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -5.00
10/17/2011 AA AIR TICKET SALE 4DALLAS TX 120.70
10/17/2011 AA MISC SALE/ TAX/ FDALLAS TX 25.00
10/19/2011 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -25.00

All charges were for award tickets. The September charges were reimbursed, whereas the award booking in Oct (taxes + phone booking fee) were only reimbursed for the phone booking fees. Very odd.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by carwag25
There doesnt seem to be any consistency with reimbursements for my AA bookings:
09/11/2011 AA AIR TICKET SALE 4DALLAS TX 5.00
09/14/2011 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -5.00

All charges were for award tickets. The September charges were reimbursed, whereas the award booking in Oct (taxes + phone booking fee) were only reimbursed for the phone booking fees. Very odd.
Seems perfectly consistent to me; all sales < $100 were re-imbursed while "Ticket Sales" over $100 weren't. It has been noted here on several occastions that charges less than $100 tend to get re-imbursed, regardless of whether they're catagorized as ticket sales or something else.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I bought two AA GCs for $100 each and was reimbursed both times within three to four days.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: RC Gold, Hilton DIA, AA Gold, iPrefer, Hyatt Plat
AA GC still working...

I bought a $50 GC from AA's site on 10/21. Reimbursed 10/24. Just more data. Going to do that again today.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by redtop43
When I booked an award ticket last spring, I found that award ticket fees were not covered. However, it seems like over-the-phone ticketing fees ARE covered. I am booking a couple more award tix, and will probably have to do it on the phone. Does anyone know if these are reimbursed?
What airline? I booked AA awards this summer and got reimbursed for four $25 phone fees. Showed up as one $100 line item. Not sure the phone fees are officially covered, but they were still reimbursed.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:53 pm

Odd data point, but useful perhaps.

Bought three gift cards for myself and emailed them to myself using the Amex (once a week). Each time I was reimbursed by Amex, but the funny thing is after a couple days AA would cancel the gift card (probably cuz they suspected they were fraudelent) and issued me refunds. So in essence got $200 statement credit from Amex like that.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by mangoMan
What airline? I booked AA awards this summer and got reimbursed for four $25 phone fees. Showed up as one $100 line item. Not sure the phone fees are officially covered, but they were still reimbursed.
It was on DL.

I complained and Amex said they didn't reimburse award ticket fees - I didn't press the issue because at the same time they made a different mistake in my favor, and I kind of figured it all worked out even.

FWIW I was talking about taxes and such on an award trip, not fees that DL keeps.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by mia
See post 577 for a good summary of the obstacles.
Thanks Mia, very helpful, as always.

I had elected AA as my $200 credit airline for 2011 because of a couple of trips on this airline but was thinking of electing DL for 2012 and beyond because it is my primary airline most of the time. This whole thing with DL and gift certificates is making me seriously reconsider... Especially if, like said 4 posts above, AA ends up cancelling the certificates and I get to keep the cash (in the form of a credit card statement credit)...
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:40 pm

Can you buy the AA gift cards at Costco and still get credit from the Platinum $200 allowance?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by FlyEverywhere
Can you buy the AA gift cards at Costco and still get credit from the Platinum $200 allowance?
No, because it shows you purchased it from Costco, not AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.