Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 3:39 pm

Data point, used my PRG credit for a MPX purchase of an Amazon GC worth $100 on 12/4, reimbursed today.

As a follow up, does this work on all MPX purchases? Or just for Amazon GC's?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by breadbedman
Data point, used my PRG credit for a MPX purchase of an Amazon GC worth $100 on 12/4, reimbursed today.

Pretty sure that any MPX purchase would work. I got reimbursed for a Banana Republic purchase through MPX when I wasn't even trying.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by breadbedman

It worked for me on Nordstrom on my first purchase of $50. However the remaining $50 on amazon on 12/4 on my PRG has still not been reimbursed.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by knn9413a
It worked for me on Nordstrom on my first purchase of $50. However the remaining $50 on amazon on 12/4 on my PRG has still not been reimbursed.
Was it in-store at Nordstrom? Or from their website?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by manacit
I've got $200 to Amazon that posted 12/4 and still haven't been reimbursed. It sounds like they were behind until today, so we'll see what happens on Monday!

Pretty annoying that these delays keep happening, but as long as I get the $200...

Reimbursed 12/14! From the MPX app.

Last edited by manacit; Dec 15, 2015 at 9:02 am
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by manacit
Reimbursed 12/14! From the MPX app.
Nice! Thanks for the datapoint.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by urbana_red
I purchased $200 in Amazon Gift Cards from MPX app on 12/4. Showed up in my statement as:

MPX*AMAZON.COM 1-800-421-4655 TX

No reimbursement to-date. Fingers crossed this one goes through!
Update: Reimbursed $200 today with statement credit ^
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:16 am

No reimbursement yet

Bought $100 MPX-Amazon on 12/5 but no reimbursements till now. Should I wait or call in for an update? It was with a biz amex platinum.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by somy
Bought $100 MPX-Amazon on 12/5 but no reimbursements till now. Should I wait or call in for an update? It was with a biz amex platinum.
It appears that in Dec it might take 10 days for the reimbursement to be issued. So I would suggest waiting a few more days.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by alexyczhu
It appears that in Dec it might take 10 days for the reimbursement to be issued. So I would suggest waiting a few more days.
Thanks. I guess I can wait a little more.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:51 am

Is there a suggested wait time AFTER selecting UA as your designated airline before attempting to make a purchase?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by N3xt
Is there a suggested wait time AFTER selecting UA as your designated airline before attempting to make a purchase?
N3xt, 24 hours seems to be the general consensus, though there is no particular evidence that this is necessary.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:33 am

Got $200 reimbursement today, purchased/posted on 12/5, it's coming don't worry guys
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
So, stupid me, I mistakenly purchased the $200 Amazon GC through MPX before I added United as my preferred airline. When I realized my mistake, I added United about 2 days after.

I figured I'd just call Amex and ask one of the agents to credit the purchase manually. I've talked to two different agents so far, and as of now, I'm 0 for 2.

First agent asked me what the charge was for, and I just straight up told him it was for a gift card. Strike one.

Second agent asked me what it was for so I told him it was to purchase United miles. Strike two.

I'm going to try secure message next and see what happens. Anyway, lesson learned, don't forget to specify your airline before the purchase.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by 9volt
So, stupid me, I mistakenly purchased the $200 Amazon GC through MPX before I added United as my preferred airline. When I realized my mistake, I added United about 2 days after.

I figured I'd just call Amex and ask one of the agents to credit the purchase manually. I've talked to two different agents so far, and as of now, I'm 0 for 2.

First agent asked me what the charge was for, and I just straight up told him it was for a gift card. Strike one.

Second agent asked me what it was for so I told him it was to purchase United miles. Strike two.

I'm going to try secure message next and see what happens. Anyway, lesson learned, don't forget to specify your airline before the purchase.
Please don't call AMEX to reimburse your purchase which is explictly excluded from the T's and C's and which would have been reimbursed anyway if you had done it properly... ¬_¬

An extra Amazon gift card is as good as cash... just cut your "losses" (which aren't really losses) and do it again properly instead of trying to get AMEX to help you and risking closing the loophole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.