Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Red259
Thinking about doing a purchase of $200 on mpx. It seems like its alright to do $200 is this the case or should I do two purchases of $100? Also, if I select united today when would I be able to switch airlines with amex? Jan?
Yes, January.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:14 pm

Just did chat with Amex for my $202 MPX purchase from 9/15.
He said it may take up to 2 to 4 weeks to receive credit and he can see in their system that credit is in process...so i will get it anytime soon...

Let's hope it comes in a week.
No other question asked.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Originally Posted by myworld
Just did chat with Amex for my $202 MPX purchase from 9/15.
He said it may take up to 2 to 4 weeks to receive credit and he can see in their system that credit is in process...so i will get it anytime soon...

Let's hope it comes in a week.
No other question asked.
I did the HUCA version for live chat and the third rep i chatted with said my 9/15 $200 MPX purchase would be reimbursed in 2-3 business days manually.

The first said it would post in 2-4 weeks. The second said my charge wasn't eligible.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:36 am

Hello Everyone,

I made a $100 purchase through MPX on Sept 29th, was automatically reimbursed on Oct 2nd.

Hopefully the systems are up and running again.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:57 am

Hi,

Can you please elaborate on what did you purchase ? Amazon Gift card or some thing else? I did 2 seat upgrades on 28th Sep and both were credited on 1st Oct. So, thats still working.

I will wait till i complete the legit travel and then plan to utilize the remaining through Amazon GC. Just Hoping this is still working till that time.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Originally Posted by thershope
Hi,

Can you please elaborate on what did you purchase ? Amazon Gift card or some thing else? I did 2 seat upgrades on 28th Sep and both were credited on 1st Oct. So, thats still working.

I will wait till i complete the legit travel and then plan to utilize the remaining through Amazon GC. Just Hoping this is still working till that time.
The answer to your question can be found by going back 2 pages in this thread.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:02 am

Found it. Did not work in IE to find the chat, had to use Chrome.

Last edited by antonius66; Oct 4, 2015 at 9:17 am
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:24 pm

I want to cancel a United Star Alliance flight for 2, which will cost me $200 in fees per person. My understanding is that this counts toward the $200 airline incidentals reimbursement, but I want to be absolutely sure. Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA PP (47% MM), HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Any other updates on gift registry credits? Are they posting properly?

I'm looking to use my $100

Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by hdatontodo
I chatted about two Sept 10 $50 charges (for one time pass) and he said he would issue a manual credit which I should get in a few days. I have an older MPX Amazon charge I didn't ask about.
After chatting about my SPG Amex, I asked about my $100 MPX charge on my Platinum card from Aug 29. He looked and said I had gotten the reimbursement on Oct 3. I said that was for the two $50 United Airlines charges from Sept (Club Passes.) After a while he came back and said he'd process the $100 credit. Very happy here. I think for 2016, I'll see what seems the most automatic and go with that airline as my choice for the new year...and then cancel the Platinum card, unless cancelling sooner and getting a higher prorated fee reduction is better.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
FWIW, it seems like even legitimate charges from late August to late September were not reimbursed unless you talked to AmEx. Now it seems to be back to status quo with legitimate and MPX (and GR?) processing automatically.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by thershope
Hi,

Not sure if you meant me, but I purchased a $100 Amazon GC.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Made 3 GR purchases last week, $75/75/50, all three got reimbursed today automatically.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Made 3 GR purchases last week, $75/75/50, all three got reimbursed today automatically.
GR?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
GR?
Gift Registry (see wiki)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.