Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Booked an award travel, upgraded the seat to economy plus and with the close in booking fee, the total came out to be around $190 (split into 3 charges). Cancelled within 24 hours. This was on Sept. 28. Got the amex credit for all 3 charges on Oct. 1st.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:56 am

GR $25 charge on 10/1; credited this morning on 10/5 without any chat necessary.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, United, AAdvantage
bought 100$ amazon GC using MPX on 10/1. It was reimbursed today automatically. Will be taking remaining 100$ GC now.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:50 am

Bought $200 Amazon GC using MPX, transaction posted 10/1. I see $200 credit for airline fee posted on 10/4.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:05 am

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only.

I bought an amazon gift card through mpx for 100 on Oct 1 and got reimbursed the $100 on Oct 5
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
My $150 GR purchase from 29 Aug had not yet reimbursed; since it's been over five weeks I decided to chat. Rep said no credit was pending but he'd put a manual one through. I tried to inquire if there had been some delay recently, but he didn't say much; just 'it sometimes takes up to six weeks'.

FWIW I think Amex has to know about these GR reimbursements, and allows it. It makes good business sense... I spend $XXX,XXX/year on a card that I otherwise wouldn't have. With the fees they charge merchants, I have to think that's profitable for them.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:51 pm

MPX reimbursement

Purchased a $50 Amazon GC on 9/15 and 10/1 and both were reimbursed today
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Why are people buying GR or MPX instead of just getting cold hard credit for free? (by purchasing an award ticket, upgrading the seat, getting charged a close-in fee, and then canceling)?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:31 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by zubkha23
Why are people buying GR or MPX instead of just getting cold hard credit for free? (by purchasing an award ticket, upgrading the seat, getting charged a close-in fee, and then canceling)?
Never really understood how the award trick works….but it sounds a lot more complicated and shadier. For me, and a lot of other people, UA or Amazon credit is as good as cash.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
wow so the mpx amazon gc works again for reinbursement? I did mine in sept and no reinbursement yet
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by happyvoid
wow so the mpx amazon gc works again for reinbursement? I did mine in sept and no reinbursement yet
Post 362
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
did you purchase it from the mpx app thry android phone? I purchase a $75 amazon gc today via the app using my amex card and selected united as my airline of choice. Hopefully i get reinbursed
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by SeoxyS
Never really understood how the award trick works….but it sounds a lot more complicated and shadier. For me, and a lot of other people, UA or Amazon credit is as good as cash.
Yeah, I think the GR trick, at least, is more in the spirit of the program. Amex is reimbursing you for money spent on United, which means UA is getting the business and Amex is getting the fees. Yes, you're effectively getting money for a ticket rather than just incidentals, but the costs and revenue for the airline and Amex are essentially the same.

With the award trick, both UA and Amex have non-zero costs for processing the transaction, and then more non-zero costs for handling the refund. But since you're getting cash back, they both see zero revenue for those non-zero costs.

I realize it's a bit the pot calling the kettle black, because they're both outside the terms of the program, but to me one hurts UA and Amex a lot more than the other. And I value UA credit as much as cash, b/c I know I'll use it.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:46 am

As a datapoint, MPX charge October 2 for $100 on PRG. Reimbursed as airline credit October 5. Great stuff!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:01 am

MPX charge on Oct 2nd $50 and $100, reimbursed Oct 6th

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.