Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I think I got the most ridiculous credit...

I bought 6 one-way tickets (SFO-LAS) from Continental in one single locator (for a Bachelor's trip). I got reimbursed for the entire $200 all at once (from the ticket purchase).
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:10 pm

Any luck using this for continental miles + $ upgrades to business elite?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Has anyone gotten the $200 credit to work toward a United Red carpet lounge membership? I'd like to do this to supplement my lack of *A lounges provided for free by the card.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: continental, united premier, hyatt diamond, marriott silver, priority club platinum amb,hilton gold
Anyone try buying CO Gift certs in small amounts like $25 and get refunded?
Old May 2, 2011, 4:00 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
CO gift certificates worked at the $25 level.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:46 am

Just purchased extra leg room seats on a CO flight for myself and fianc. We'll see if I get credited for both, though the total was over $200...
Old May 10, 2011, 1:32 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

As I previously posted, $25 CO gift card works. The subsequent $175 one didn't. The breakpoint must be somewhere in between.
Old May 13, 2011, 7:05 am

Bought some extra legroom seating for wife and I on CO (as I have no status with them). 2 charges of $109 each, total of $218. Got the credit for $109 and $91. Thanks amex!
Old May 15, 2011, 2:31 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Recap on CO gift cards.

$25 worked
$99 worked
$175 didn't work.
Old May 21, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Needed to change a ticket on CO, and at the time I wasn't enrolled with an airline, so I figured I'd give it a shot and went ahead and signed myself up for CO/UA. I called in and managed to change my ticket an hour later (hold times athough at least they called me back). The change fee of $142 (100 euros) posted separately from the increased fare, and it was completely credited back within 2 days ^.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:23 pm

Another data point, I used my credit to buy extra legroom seating for my parents on CO. Ended up cancelling that award trip and the fee was refunded by CO. However, Amex didn't take back the credit they gave me.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:17 pm

United Economy+ upsell (purchased separately from ticket), under $100. Auto-credited a day or so after it posted. ^

(I mostly did it to see if it would work. I get E+ for free anyway, this was on an award ticket for somebody else, not traveling with me.)

-David
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Any luck using this for continental miles + $ upgrades to business elite?
Answering myself, also gleaning similar posts to the thread, that CO upsell fees will not be credited.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:54 am

CO e-certificate.

Got reimbursed for $50 gift cards (4 of them) within 3 days. Hope that helps for anyone.

Cheers,
Old Jun 19, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, National Executive, SPG Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Signed up Continental when the program started, and didn't think much of it. Paid for 2 upgrades for both legs of the RT from EWR-TPA last week ($69 for upgrade to exit row and $89 for upgrade to business). Reconciled my credit card charges today, and saw credits for both. Good stuff!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.