Tricks to become "targeted" by AMEX

Old Apr 10, 14, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
I followed your instructions carefully and was told they couldn't do anything without the code. The agent did give me address and said I could write to them and ask them to extend the offer again.

I have an excellent credit rating but they never went far enough to check into that.

[QUOTE=ukinny2000;22655300]Hi folks, I know that that the current offer for the Amex Platinum Business Card is for 40,000 MR. However, it is pretty easy to get the 100,000MR offer over the phone. I have done it myself successfully, and have had two friends do it similarly and each also successfully, but YMMV nonetheless. Here are the steps that I took:
Old Apr 10, 14, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by workandski View Post
I followed your instructions carefully and was told they couldn't do anything without the code. The agent did give me address and said I could write to them and ask them to extend the offer again.

I have an excellent credit rating but they never went far enough to check into that.
Sorry to hear it. Others have had success since I posted this. Did you try to HUCA? A previous poster got the desired result after calling a second time
Old Apr 10, 14, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=workandski;22685024]I followed your instructions carefully and was told they couldn't do anything without the code. The agent did give me address and said I could write to them and ask them to extend the offer again.

Originally Posted by ukinny2000 View Post
Hi folks, I know that that the current offer for the Amex Platinum Business Card is for 40,000 MR. However, it is pretty easy to get the 100,000MR offer over the phone. I have done it myself successfully, and have had two friends do it similarly and each also successfully, but YMMV nonetheless. Here are the steps that I took:
Try again! It took 2 calls for me, it might take 3. I just did it a few days ago, depends on the agent obviously......
Old Apr 10, 14, 6:49 pm

Programs: US/AA, UA, AS, BA, IHG, HGP
Can confirm this works for Business Plat. Can also confirm it doesn't work for personal (though I only tried 3x before calling it quits personal side).
Old Apr 10, 14, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by TMKTakot View Post
Can confirm this works for Business Plat. Can also confirm it doesn't work for personal (though I only tried 3x before calling it quits personal side).
Thanks for the data point, shame it doesn't work for personal.
Old Apr 11, 14, 2:03 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
This worked for me, took 2 calls.

The key is saying it is an expired offer, not a current offer that you lost or else they will try to look up your address.

I told him I got a 50k targeted to my Amex Account (Which I did), but then remembered an older offer I got a few months ago for 100k. He found it very quickly.
Old Apr 11, 14, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn View Post

The key is saying it is an expired offer, not a current offer that you lost or else they will try to look up your address.

I told him I got a 50k targeted to my Amex Account (Which I did), but then remembered an older offer I got a few months ago for 100k. He found it very quickly.
Once per lifetime is on the specific card, or each specific bonus offer? Hopefully, its once per specific bonus offer.
Old Apr 11, 14, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
I got closer to getting the card with the 100k bonus this time but they denied it when they learned I have a Amex gold business card. It sounds like there is not a single set of rules that are followed.
Old Apr 11, 14, 6:07 pm

I got closer to getting the card with the 100k bonus this time but they denied it when they learned I have a Amex gold business card. It sounds like there is not a single set of rules that are followed.
I should have stated more clearly in my original posting that you can't have had this card or any other Amex Business card in the last 12 months. I apologise.
Old Apr 11, 14, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Amex should have this all laid out in terms and conditions so its clear to the card applicant.
Old Apr 13, 14, 8:55 pm
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn View Post

Did you get confirmation in writing of your 100k bonus? For example does it say that in the terms and conditions mailed with the card?

The reason I am asking is I am in a somewhat unique situation and don't know what to do:

a. I have never had an AMEX card and according to the special offers page on AMEX.com, a prescreened offer for the Plat Personal has been sent to me. I have not received it(or if I received it and accidentally threw it away which I doubt) so I don't have an RSVP code or the number of points offered as a bonus.

b. My sister received an invite for the 100k MR PLat Personal and is willing to let me use the RSVP code.

What should I do? Apply using her code(since my credit history was good enough for an offer anyway), or call AMEX and tell them I lost my own code?
Old Apr 14, 14, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, Amex, SPG, Hilton
ukinny2000 - thanks for the tip... just worked for me!
Old Apr 14, 14, 9:22 pm

I was able to get the 100,000 Business Platinum offer by calling on Saturday. The agent made it sound like it was something he could offer if your original targeted offer was no longer available. Thanks ukinny2000!
Old Apr 15, 14, 12:06 pm

I've been trying to get targeted for the 100k bonus offer on the Platinum personal card for some time now. I know there are ways to apply for business CC w/o having a business, but is it a different experience doing it over the phone with the CSR vs online? I'm a bit weary to try this, especially since it's a targeted off towards businesses.

Update: Approved after call to recon line.

Last edited by mikedo; Apr 16, 14 at 3:32 pm
Old Apr 15, 14, 12:17 pm

Thanks OP. I was able to apply over phone but am waiting on them to process my application. Hoping it gets approved, but they were able to offer the 100K MR / $10K spend in 3 months as a courtesy. Call took about 25 minutes as rep let me know all features of card as well as having to read the disclosures.

Update: Was approved today. Found out by e-mail.

Last edited by newbynewbynew; Apr 16, 14 at 2:20 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: