Tricks to become "targeted" by AMEX

Old Mar 27, 14, 10:22 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 113
Originally Posted by ac921ol View Post
I think this link, would help you if you did indeed opt out.

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

^ I realize it says opt out, but read it and you'll see you can opt back in.
I used to get mailed offers every 3 weeks or so until I got Lifelock via US Grandslam. They automatically sign you up for "opt-out" & even though I opted back in over 2 yrs ago, I haven't received anything from AMEX since :-(
et_phonehome is offline  
Old Apr 5, 14, 4:19 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 640
How to get the 100,000 Amex Platinum Business Card

Hi folks, I know that that the current offer for the Amex Platinum Business Card is for 40,000 MR. However, it is pretty easy to get the 100,000MR offer over the phone. I have done it myself successfully, and have had two friends do it similarly and each also successfully, but YMMV nonetheless. Here are the steps that I took:

1. I called 1-800-971-6736, and chose option #1, "Apply for a new card"

The conversation then went like this:

Me: I would like to apply for the Platinum Business Card. However, a few months ago I got an offer that has since expired. I was wondering if I could still apply and get the bonus that was offered to me?

CSR: Let me see what I can do for you. Do you still have the RSVP code?

Me: No, but I remember the offer. It was for 100,000MR after spending at least $10,000 within the first three months

CSR: That should be no problem. As a courtesy I can extend you that same offer whereby you would get 100,000MR after spending $10,000 or more within the first three months.

...

At this juncture I applied, as did my two friends. I would note that my friends had never received the special offer, and that they had previously had the Platinum Biz Card (cancelled 13-14 months ago in their case).

The courtesy offer from the CSR is also not tied somehow to your phone number, as I did a subsequent trial run anonymising (*67-ing) my number and giving a fictitious name.

In other words, I believe anybody should be able to call up and get this offer with relative ease. If you are waiting for an offer, and have had the card previously, I would suggest trying this method as come May 1st or whenever the once-a-lifetime-bonus-rule kicks-in, you may very well be SoL.

Happy application!
ukinny2000 is offline  
Old Apr 6, 14, 1:03 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MSP
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by ukinny2000 View Post
Hi folks, I know that that the current offer for the Amex Platinum Business Card is for 40,000 MR. However, it is pretty easy to get the 100,000MR offer over the phone. I have done it myself successfully, and have had two friends do it similarly and each also successfully, but YMMV nonetheless. Here are the steps that I took:

1. I called 1-800-971-6736, and chose option #1, "Apply for a new card"

The conversation then went like this:

Me: I would like to apply for the Platinum Business Card. However, a few months ago I got an offer that has since expired. I was wondering if I could still apply and get the bonus that was offered to me?

CSR: Let me see what I can do for you. Do you still have the RSVP code?

Me: No, but I remember the offer. It was for 100,000MR after spending at least $10,000 within the first three months

CSR: That should be no problem. As a courtesy I can extend you that same offer whereby you would get 100,000MR after spending $10,000 or more within the first three months.

...

At this juncture I applied, as did my two friends. I would note that my friends had never received the special offer, and that they had previously had the Platinum Biz Card (cancelled 13-14 months ago in their case).

The courtesy offer from the CSR is also not tied somehow to your phone number, as I did a subsequent trial run anonymising (*67-ing) my number and giving a fictitious name.

In other words, I believe anybody should be able to call up and get this offer with relative ease. If you are waiting for an offer, and have had the card previously, I would suggest trying this method as come May 1st or whenever the once-a-lifetime-bonus-rule kicks-in, you may very well be SoL.

Happy application!
I upgraded to Platinum Biz from Gold in October 2013.

If I cancel it now, do you think I will still be eligible for a Platinum Biz after May 2014?
guoguo914 is offline  
Old Apr 6, 14, 3:15 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BOM
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 806
Originally Posted by ukinny2000 View Post
Hi folks, I know that that the current offer for the Amex Platinum Business Card is for 40,000 MR. However, it is pretty easy to get the 100,000MR offer over the phone. I have done it myself successfully, and have had two friends do it similarly and each also successfully, but YMMV nonetheless. Here are the steps that I took:

1. I called 1-800-971-6736, and chose option #1, "Apply for a new card"

The conversation then went like this:

Me: I would like to apply for the Platinum Business Card. However, a few months ago I got an offer that has since expired. I was wondering if I could still apply and get the bonus that was offered to me?

CSR: Let me see what I can do for you. Do you still have the RSVP code?

Me: No, but I remember the offer. It was for 100,000MR after spending at least $10,000 within the first three months

CSR: That should be no problem. As a courtesy I can extend you that same offer whereby you would get 100,000MR after spending $10,000 or more within the first three months.

...

At this juncture I applied, as did my two friends. I would note that my friends had never received the special offer, and that they had previously had the Platinum Biz Card (cancelled 13-14 months ago in their case).

The courtesy offer from the CSR is also not tied somehow to your phone number, as I did a subsequent trial run anonymising (*67-ing) my number and giving a fictitious name.

In other words, I believe anybody should be able to call up and get this offer with relative ease. If you are waiting for an offer, and have had the card previously, I would suggest trying this method as come May 1st or whenever the once-a-lifetime-bonus-rule kicks-in, you may very well be SoL.

Happy application!
FYI, *67 doesn't work when calling an 800 number. They have full access to your phone number.
LoneTree is offline  
Old Apr 6, 14, 7:23 am
  #35  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,038
Good tip, ukinny2000.
Thx

My past experience w fr for wife and half fr for self (both passed and have since gotten new amex ccs w decent cl) is that frs are likely when you spend huge and pay off rapidly to repeat again and again in a short period.

But as I said, since fr-dum, we have had no problems with getting new Amex cards.

We have both never really had mr cards--i had gotten the 100k plat once and used it and done.

I think you get mr card offers when you are or have been a mr card holder of more than just one card. We have not so we have not.
Marathon Man is offline  
Old Apr 6, 14, 10:29 am
  #36  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
Great offer for US Plat Biz. As a former Canadian Plat Biz member I received a measly 40K bonus points.
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Apr 7, 14, 4:06 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Astraveln
Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by ukinny2000 View Post
Hi folks, I know that that the current offer for the Amex Platinum Business Card is for 40,000 MR. However, it is pretty easy to get the 100,000MR offer over the phone. I have done it myself successfully, and have had two friends do it similarly and each also successfully, but YMMV nonetheless. Here are the steps that I took:

1. I called 1-800-971-6736, and chose option #1, "Apply for a new card"

The conversation then went like this:


The courtesy offer from the CSR is also not tied somehow to your phone number, as I did a subsequent trial run anonymising (*67-ing) my number and giving a fictitious name.

!
Called, CSR asked for the invitation code, I said I didn't have it but it was 100k,,,,10k spend etc... Said he couldn't do it without code. I said fine, will look for old mail and call again....as he wouldn't move. Fail

Call back 1 minute later, CSR asked for invitation code.....advised that I don't have it anymore. but said 100k for 10k spend etc. She said I don't see it but as a courtesy.......she would extend the offer. Success.

thanks for the insight.
shawntobi is offline  
Old Apr 7, 14, 5:24 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 478
Tricks to become "targeted" by AMEX

did you guys have a gold card in the last 12 months? I have a targeted offer but cancelled my last gold card in may 2013.
bobby21 is offline  
Old Apr 7, 14, 5:49 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 11
I can confirm that this strategy works! I called in with the same story and was offered the 100k deal as a courtesy. I had in fact gotten mail offers in the past, but did not have any of them in my possession and the CSR could not find any under my information. She granted the offer. My call dropped halfway through the application and called back, got a different CSR. They also offered the 100k deal. I joked that I also had a 150k offer. They said they only have two offers they can apply right now, the current 40k and the targeted/requested 100k.

Been trying to get this for months! Thanks OP!
osumartz is offline  
Old Apr 7, 14, 7:58 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 640
Originally Posted by bobby21 View Post
did you guys have a gold card in the last 12 months? I have a targeted offer but cancelled my last gold card in may 2013.
No. I had an Amex Platinum Biz that I cancelled early in 2013. I was waiting for the 12 months to be up before applying... .
ukinny2000 is offline  
Old Apr 7, 14, 8:01 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 526
Thanks ukinny2000, just got this offer using your method.
Doctor of Credit is offline  
Old Apr 7, 14, 8:36 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: Delta
Posts: 2
Personal Platinum 1K?

I have a business platinum but would like to switch to a personal before 5/1. Is there any evidence of the call in with a lost code working for a personal platinum100K?
h11299 is offline  
Old Apr 7, 14, 8:44 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 640
Originally Posted by h11299 View Post
I have a business platinum but would like to switch to a personal before 5/1. Is there any evidence of the call in with a lost code working for a personal platinum100K?
None afaik, but absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Whilst the number I provided is for the business cards, you might want to try them anyway. If you're not at the right number they might give you the right number, or transfer you. Remember: if you never ask, the answer is always, "no!"
ukinny2000 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 14, 2:36 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,492
I used this method today to get the 100K offer.

I had older RSVP codes but preferred not to use them . They gave me what they termed the Good Will promotion, and I had a choice of either biz associated to my name to use in case that matters to anyone

Many Thanks to the OP
PETERPNYC is offline  
Old Apr 8, 14, 7:18 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 526
Originally Posted by h11299 View Post
I have a business platinum but would like to switch to a personal before 5/1. Is there any evidence of the call in with a lost code working for a personal platinum100K?
Give it a go and let us know how it goes.
Doctor of Credit is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: