Tricks to become "targeted" by AMEX

Old Nov 13, 14, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
What was the offer? In my case they said the offer had "expired" but they could offer something else... and it was the same thing!

The offer was 15K MQM, 45K RDM, and 50% off AF. I received this offer three times this year in writing (by US Mail), and also online via the website where you enter in your DL FF number and the offer appears. I finally decide to go ahead and do it, but just a day later it was sorry Charlie.

Thinking about it, I supposed the difference is that I asked for the offer they gave me the previous day a few minutes AFTER I had signed up and was approved for a higher level card without nearly as enticing of an offer. I applied online, having no idea that I would be approved and issued a card within mere seconds. I simply had no experience whatsover with the process.

It appears that the folks who report receiving an AmEx incentive merely by asking for it, all seem to have done so prior to signing up... not a few minutes afterward, while bewildered in a "what just happened?" self debriefing.

Frankly, I was confused about the whole process, and couldn't keep all the different types of miles bonuses and cards straight, so I kept using the comparison tool online. I also had no idea that the incentives differed so dramatically between what was sent to me and what was viewable in their online card comparison page.

I remain quite bitter about it actually. I take responsibility for the error, but I don't have any love for American Express's marketing. Funny how the CEO of American Express waxes on philosophically in front of the graduate classes of the nation's leading business schools about the importance of customers having an "emotional" connection with AmEx. I'm fairly certain he wasn't referring to the emotions I have now.
Old Nov 14, 14, 6:50 pm

100k MR for personal Plat?

There is a lot of talk about the 100k MR sign-up bonus for business platinum, but I really want the personal one. I could use 100k pts right now as I have a particular award in mind with a travel partner.

Does anyone have any tips about getting targeted for that one?

I currently have a PRG card which I've had for a month. First month was $1800 spend. Another couple of hundred and I will get the 25k sign-up bonus. No relationship with Amex before that. Long credit history though; excellent credit, very good relationship with Chase. Applied for a new Chase CC recently; was auto-approved with a $30k limit; I now have 3 Chase CCs; the other two cards have about $30k total limit between them. Never had a missed or late payment in a month; pay all balances in full by due date on all cards. Also $22k with Comenity (VX CC) and about $10-15k spread out over other cards. So a little under $100k total credit not counting the PRG, with low utilization percentage -- the most I have ever spent in a month on CCs is about $10k total)

I have read on some blogs that to be targeted, it's best to have excellent credit, decent spend on other cards, and be an Amex customer, but not too good of a customer (if they already have almost all your business, why would they give you a big bonus to try to get more). I'm not sure how true this is, but it does seem logical. I seem to kind of fit these criteria, although maybe my total monthly spend is a bit low.
Old Nov 14, 14, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I have read on some blogs that to be targeted, it's best to have excellent credit, decent spend on other cards, and be an Amex customer, but not too good of a customer (if they already have almost all your business, why would they give you a big bonus to try to get more). I'm not sure how true this is, but it does seem logical. I seem to kind of fit these criteria, although maybe my total monthly spend is a bit low.
This theory should be testable. People who fit the criteria except total monthly spend was a bit low, and then started doing serious MS but only on other bank's cards, should have seen Amex targeted offers suddenly start pouring in (since as far as credit reports show, total monthly spend went up!). Did that happen?

(Of course, the monthly credit used totals on other cards should not all be exact multiples of $505.95 in case Amex is looking for those numbers. )
Old Nov 14, 14, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
This theory should be testable. People who fit the criteria except total monthly spend was a bit low, and then started doing serious MS but only on other bank's cards, should have seen Amex targeted offers suddenly start pouring in (since as far as credit reports show, total monthly spend went up!).
Just like there are forums on flying, and on flying points... there are forums entirely dedicated to credit cards. Intuit has a blog called Mint something or other, and one of the resident authors this summer counted one of the credit bureaus as one of his former employers.

What he said was interesting... when spending on credit cards sharply rises, that can be temporarily interpreted as an indicator of reduced available income. The sudden increase of debt encumbrance might have a negative effect, until a few on time and in full payment cycles prove otherwise.

THEN the offers may come.
Old Nov 15, 14, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, SPG/MR Gold, HH Gold
It's more complicated than that. I have a friend who has stellar credit, but only has a car loan and a very very low limit Visa card product. This person has a stack of 100k personal Amex plat offers on their desk. So it's a mystery. They have no Amex product and never had.
Old Nov 17, 14, 3:56 am

To all getting the 100k business platinum "targeted" offer by calling in:

what is the fee? $450 due first month?

Edit: I have a targeted BRG offer of 75k MR with a first year waived annual fee...want to know if the platinum call in deal carries the same fee waiver. If so will do the platinum, if not will probably do the gold.

Last edited by kingdeuceoff; Nov 17, 14 at 4:02 am
Old Nov 17, 14, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by kingdeuceoff View Post
To all getting the 100k business platinum "targeted" offer by calling in:

what is the fee? $450 due first month?

Edit: I have a targeted BRG offer of 75k MR with a first year waived annual fee...want to know if the platinum call in deal carries the same fee waiver. If so will do the platinum, if not will probably do the gold.
The $450 annual fee for the platinum card is NOT waived in the first year.
Old Nov 24, 14, 10:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
The process mentioned above, calling in for the business plat and saying you misplaced your offer, is still live. Did it tonight for 100k MR after $10k in 3 months. They wouldn't waive the annual fee.

Neil
Old Dec 8, 14, 9:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Gold, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Data point: called today and received the 100K MR points offer on Plat Biz card
Old Dec 10, 14, 3:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product or any other Business Gold, Green or Platinum Card® account within the last 12 months

How about co-branded cards like Costco? Do they usually count?
Old Dec 10, 14, 8:23 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by happyvoid View Post
Do they usually count?
Not in this example. You cannot apply if you have had a Business Green, Gold or Platinum charge card within the past 12 months. The co-branded credit cards are unrelated.
Old Dec 14, 14, 1:35 pm

100k trick still alive and well.

Rep could not find my offer but did find a 'similar' offer. Note, that on my existing Business Reward Gold card there was an offer showing 30k to upgrade, but this was a new application for the 100k.
Old Dec 15, 14, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Worked great this morning!
Old Dec 15, 14, 2:58 pm

Business Premier Gold / Platinum

Question answered. Since I just opened a Business Gold, have to wait 12 months before trying for the Business Platinum.

Last edited by sosamo; Dec 15, 14 at 5:10 pm
Old Dec 20, 14, 11:38 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Amex Plat 100k Personal Call In?

Has anyone been successful calling in and getting a 100k Personal Platinum offer? Saw a roommate get the offer expiring Nov 30 but wasn't sure if this was similar to the Biz Amex set up.

(Search returned multiple DB errors so apologies if this is a duplicate)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: