Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who notices what the Centurion card is?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Agree with the others - about 9 times out of 10 I see them sort of wave the card back and forth and say "this thing is heavy" - and that' is it.
If you want the same effect of people commenting "this is heavy" for us mere mortals, then you can get the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. It's mostly metal as well, and quite heavy. When I was in New Zealand and used it whereever AMEX was not accepted, at least 50% of the time they would comment on the weight. One shop even passed it around to a couple of employees so they could feel it. LOL
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
No, Amex never issue two physical cards with exactly the same number. Not necessary either. All your supplementaries appear on your main card's statement.
By contrast, my metal JPM Palladium card has the same number as the plastic Palladium card I asked for - and the CID is the same as well (although I was told the CID would be different).
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by kudoslauncher
Several times. The key is to call your concierge before the window opens up. They will notate it and take care of it when the window to make reservations actually opens up. I have never not gotten a reservation for when I wanted following this method.
Another question, can my friend who has the card make the res for me, a non-centurion holder? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by jimikim
Another question, can my friend who has the card make the res for me, a non-centurion holder? Thanks in advance.
Even if that will not work, he can always put you as the other person in the room, and then you can just show up and check in. I have done this before, but possibly YMMV.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Simpleton
Even if that will not work, he can always put you as the other person in the room, and then you can just show up and check in. I have done this before, but possibly YMMV.
Ah good idea. thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Three posts discussing the concierge service have been moved to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-done-you.html
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt DMD
Originally Posted by yngdiego
If you want the same effect of people commenting "this is heavy" for us mere mortals, then you can get the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. It's mostly metal as well, and quite heavy. When I was in New Zealand and used it whereever AMEX was not accepted, at least 50% of the time they would comment on the weight. One shop even passed it around to a couple of employees so they could feel it. LOL
I have had the Saphhire card for less than two months and already had three merchants assume it is a Centurion like card because of its weight! On the other hand, my name on the front of the card is already starting to rub off!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:55 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
We get few comments. mainly about the heft, as others do, but I do have 1 great story.

New Year's Eve, shopping in Yokohama, we walked out of a store and I was just putting card back in the wallet. There were a bunch of young people marketing for Amex at a kiosk - about 6 of them. Surprisingly, as I am not Japanese and obviously a tourist, they asked if I was interested in a card. I replied I had enough already, flipping my wallet open.

The sight of the black card had them in schisms. They all wanted to touch it and one of the girls asked if I was a president or a rock star. If I had been alone, I could have had a lucky NYE, I think.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
In the "Could be worth doing" Department:

Create a properly sized fake Centurion card using one of the currently available images.

When accosted in the airport to sign up, flash your [fake] card. Optional: Ask why they did not properly greet you, bow down, prostrate themselves, etc.

(if you actually have a Cent Card, then you can do the same thing, except with your real card)
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by reft
In the "Could be worth doing" Department:

Create a properly sized fake Centurion card using one of the currently available images.

When accosted in the airport to sign up, flash your [fake] card. Optional: Ask why they did not properly greet you, bow down, prostrate themselves, etc.

(if you actually have a Cent Card, then you can do the same thing, except with your real card)
Hey people already offer a service on ebay... Where they encode your card number onto a fake Cent...

And people try to sell dead / expired Cent on ebay, too. Crazy!
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:26 am

So maybe you could get the card and then lose one every month. Sell them on eBay and cover half the annual fee that way?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
So maybe you could get the card and then lose one every month. Sell them on eBay and cover half the annual fee that way?
I think AMEX would catch on
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Tell them you are frequently traveling to Colombia and don't wish to get kidnapped. They will cut you a green (linked to your Cent account, same prefix as your Cent, same points/benefits as if you were using your Cent).
Terrible example. I am a Colombian Centurion cardmember and live there, and you DON'T get kidnapped in Colombia for having or showing a Centurion, or for being wealthy. There is no kidnapping in Colombia nowadays... It's important to be informed about such inaccurate stereotypes.

It is true though, that the card is not particularly recognized in certain countries, but does not necessarily have anything to do with the economic or social development of that country. It only has to do with the strength Amex representation that country has.

In France Amex representation is weak and is not widely accepted. Due to this fact you do not see many people that recognize it. As somebody said, Amsterdam is another example. (even though a bouncer saw it and joked at the fact I could get everyone drinks with one of those).

In DF ,Mexico or Buenos Aires, Argentina you can see how top end merchants do recognize the card in hotels, car rentals, certain restaurants, etc.

Wanna test the recognition of a black amex in any country? Go to the particular google page of a specific country and write "american express centurion" card (write card in that country's language). You will easily see that depending on the country there will be no results of citizens commenting on the card or writing about it (Colombian example). Whereas you type the name of the card in google.co.uk, google.com, google.com.mx, and you will see a lot of activity around the card from citizens of the country. The list of common searches will also tell you information. Nobody searches for "american express centurion colombia", while there are a lot of different combinations of people searching for "american express centurion us".

Just some thoughts. Enjoy your Centurions to impress yourself and the ones you love, not to show off with a waiter or a clerk.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:49 pm

I'd like to weigh in on this, but from the perspective of the guy on the other side of the counter.

I rent cars for a living, and have probably swiped dozens, if not a hundred centurion cards. I've known what they were from day one. I assure you most people recognize them, it's just not appropriate to mention.

It would be like if you opened your wallet, and somebody leaned over and was like HOLY .... YOU HAVE A TON OF MONEY IN THERE WHY DO YOU HAVE SO MUCH MONEY?!?!?!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: StarAlliance (Aeroplan)
Wow 59 posts and only a couple of people mentioned some of the benefits of the Centurion.

Speaking of "High End Credit Cards", does anyone have : 'Royale' MasterCard from Dubai ? It has a diamond embedded in it.

Last edited by InsaneTravel; Mar 27, 2012 at 8:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.