American express credit report

Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:05 am
Original Poster

American express credit report

I seem to recall obtaining a free credit report through Am Ex last year. This report also contained my FICO score. I logged into my acct but can not locate the link to the free credit report. Does anyone else remember being able to do this or am I mixing this up with another card I may have. If you know of another card that will get me a free report, including the FICO, please post.
Thanks,
Norm
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by normthe
I seem to recall obtaining a free credit report through Am Ex ...
American Express offers a "American Express Credit Secure" monitoring service for $14.99/mo. The 1st month is currently $1 but may have been offered for free when your card was new and shiny or at some other point in the past. After the first month they charge you monthly, if you don't cancel.

If that wasn't it, then it's a different card. (For post completeness, Amex also offer an upgraded product for $24.99 if you want more than 2 reports a month, and other services.)

Log in to your American Express account. At the bottom, look under "Protection Services" -> "Credit Scores and Reports"

Last edited by reft; Jan 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm Reason: update monthly pricing
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:15 pm

It was amex, they offer this once per year, you should have received an email with a link on your anniversary. Its called my credit score and report.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by flying18
It was amex, they offer this once per year, you should have received an email with a link on your anniversary. Its called my credit score and report.
I don't recall ever receiving such a thing. I would be interested in this as I've never wanted to pay to find out my score.

Susan
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:22 am

One of the agencies (TransUnion) is offering a score as part of a preview of their credit monitoring service which can try for free for 7 days.

You can get the score right away on the web, but you have to call them to cancel. Annoying, but it was less painful than I thought to cancel (it took 5 mins) - just make it clear you don't want to buy anything.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:28 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z
One of the agencies (TransUnion) is offering a score
It appears they are offering their proprietary VantageScore rather than your FICO score.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:21 pm

AMEX does a soft pull every month on the day your statement closes. While "Credit Secure" only supplies a crappy PLUS score, AMEX has a FICO every month when they soft pull you. If you can get in touch with the credit department, which honestly can be difficult to do as you can only be transferred to them from the customer service number and they work limited hours, they will tell you your score. I have done this on a few occasions to see how much of a difference FICO and PLUS are.

Give it a shot.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:16 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by PlatDrew
...only be transferred to them from the customer service number and they work limited hours,
This post contains phone numbers believed to provide direct access to the credit department. Perhaps someone could call and report if the information is still valid.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by PlatDrew
While "Credit Secure" only supplies a crappy PLUS score, AMEX has a FICO every month when they soft pull you.
Can someone explain how the PLUS score differs from your actual score? I've been using the PLUS score to monitor my credit so I just wanted to be aware of what differences to expect.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:16 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Palaimo
Can someone explain how the PLUS score differs from your actual score?
PLUS is a proprietary scored calculated by Experian. FICO is a score calculated by all three bureaus using a formula licensed from Fair-Isaac. Most lenders use FICO. If you search online "PLUS vs FICO" you will find hundreds of discussions of the relative merits of FICO, PLUS, Vantage etc.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by SusanDK
I've never wanted to pay to find out my score.
Check out https://www.creditkarma.com/ - it's free because it has some ads. GREAT service, I use it all the time.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by AirD0c
Check out https://www.creditkarma.com/ - it's free because it has some ads. GREAT service, I use it all the time.
I signed up and used creditkarma once ~2 years ago , then got inundated with marketing for crap sent to my home address , it's finally slowed down, except for HSBC sending me 3 applications a month for the GM Card
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by AirD0c
For the vast majority of users, creditkarma is usually within 5% of the average of your 3 FICO scores ^^
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by mia
It appears they are offering their proprietary VantageScore rather than your FICO score.
According to my recent discussion with Cap One's credit department, the credit score you get from any of the credit bureaus or FICO is not necessarily the same as the credit score a credit card company will pull. Apparently the card companies use a score that is weighted based on your income level. The credit bureaus don't know your income level, but that's information you provide when you apply for a credit card.

In my case, the credit score reported for a specific bureau by the credit card company was about 50 points LOWER than the score that the same bureau had sold to me directly. My impression was that a higher income will pull the weighted score lower.

I did end up with the card I had applied for.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ayodeji13
For the vast majority of users, creditkarma is usually within 5% of the average of your 3 FICO scores ^^
I checked my credit score with credit karma before applying for a card and it was about 5-10 points lower than what was quoted on the credit card approval report.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.