Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
@joe_miami : If this is what you think is an attestation to which one falsely swears, you need to rethink your position:

. Your ability to have this Card product is contingent on a relationship between you and Ameriprise Financial, Inc. If no relationship exists, or if your relationship with Ameriprise Financial ends, American Express has the right to cancel your Card account or transfer your account to another American Express Card product th.at will have different features and benefits. ...

Then you are sadly mistaken.

The key entry here is noted in red, the impact of which is to acknowledge that Amex reserves the right to not only offer a card where no relationship exists, but also reserves the right to cancel or change a card offering.

There is no attestation certifying that there is a current relationship with Ameriprise, and certainly no attestation that a statement is made under penalty of law.
We're going in circles here. I was asked how people are "abusing" Amex with the Ameriprise. Applying for an Ameriprise card as a non-Ameriprise customer when the terms specifically require an existing Ameriprise account is, definitionally, abusive. Best case, such people are unintentionally wasting Amex's time; worst case, they're intentionally taking advantage of a loophole — and in a growing number of cases, they're doing so every 12 months.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by joe_miami
We're going in circles here. I was asked how people are "abusing" Amex with the Ameriprise. Applying for an Ameriprise card as a non-Ameriprise customer when the terms specifically require an existing Ameriprise account is, definitionally, abusive. Best case, such people are unintentionally wasting Amex's time; worst case, they're intentionally taking advantage of a loophole — and in a growing number of cases, they're doing so every 12 months.
Actually, we are going around in circles because you alleged fraud, and then pointed to your quoted statement as proof. There can be no finding of fraud with your “evidence,” and quite the contrary.

Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:24 am
Suspended

Actually, we are going around in circles because you alleged fraud, and then pointed to your quoted statement as proof. There can be no finding of fraud with your “evidence,” and quite the contrary.

LOL. Anyone who knowingly applies for an Ameriprise Platinum card without an Ameriprise account is committing fraud on Amex. There's no two ways about it. The terms are part of the application.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:36 am

LOL. Anyone who knowingly applies for an Ameriprise Platinum card without an Ameriprise account is committing fraud on Amex. There's no two ways about it. The terms are part of the application.
case closed.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Physician, heal thyself. I quoted the exact terms from the Ameriprise card above. Try to keep up.

Submitting an application for credit requires an attestation to agreement to all terms of the credit being offered. This isn't hard.
To which specific application line item filled in by customers applying for this card are you referring when you are talking about making a false statement on an application for credit?

It seems you can’t answer that question. But that aside, when do you anticipate your first federal felony prosecution for someone applying for and having been issued an Ameriprise Amex Platinum card after such applicant manually keyed in accurate field info in the application form fields? I anticipate to never see it happen.

Last edited by mia; Jul 16, 2018 at 6:18 am Reason: Remove inflamatory language.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:32 am

hate when people post false information....

Last edited by mia; Jul 16, 2018 at 6:20 am Reason: Remove quotation of remove post, and inflammatory language.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mysterym

hate when people post false information....
There was no false information. When one applies for credit, one agrees to the listed terms. Not sure why people are pretending otherwise.

Last edited by mia; Jul 16, 2018 at 6:20 am Reason: Clean quotation
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
..., when do you anticipate your first federal felony prosecution for someone applying for and having been issued an Ameriprise Amex Platinum card after such applicant manually keyed in accurate field info in the application form fields? I anticipate to never see it happen.[/LEFT]
LOL. I said, right upfront, that it was highly unlikely anyone would ever face charges for anything like this. That doesn't change the fact that knowingly applying for a card when one isn't in compliance with the stated terms/requirements would be an example of "abuse," which was what started this discussion.

Last edited by mia; Jul 16, 2018 at 6:21 am Reason: Clean quotation
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

One post has been removed, several have been edited. Write about American Express products, policies and practices, not about other posters. Make your point once, repetition doesn't strengthen an argument. The use of inflammatory language to provoke another poster is explicitly prohibited. The purpose of Flyertalk threads is to exchanges ideas and information , but not to persuade others to concede defeat.

If you find a poster intolerable, learn to use the Ignore List -and- then let it go. Silence itself is the most effective way to silence a troublesome poster.

Last edited by mia; Jul 16, 2018 at 6:29 am
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:21 pm

Just an update. SO it seems like they have now added the 60,000 sign up bonus to my account. BUT this was an exception because the CS person admitted that they told me separately the deal was targeted and it was registered in their computer that they said it. HOWEVER, for the most part if you had an Ameriprise and then sign up for this you will not get the bonus. I would say, if you did sign up with the regular Plat after getting Ameriprise to at least try and open a case, but don't be surprised if you don't win
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
I just got my Ameriprise card. I decided I want to add an authorized user for free. How do I go about doing that? On the Amex site it is showing $175/card. If I just go through that link will the fee get waived, or should I call the 800 number on the card to confirm the cost?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by fujiteam
I just got my Ameriprise card. I decided I want to add an authorized user for free. How do I go about doing that? On the Amex site it is showing $175/card. If I just go through that link will the fee get waived, or should I call the 800 number on the card to confirm the cost?
This is one of those rare times that it pays to talk to a human being.
fujiteam likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA and HH
Originally Posted by fujiteam
I recently got the Ameriprise card and a week later added authorized users. The website said it would charge $175, but I wasn't and did everything online.
hi55us likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:28 pm

Free First Year up in September: Planning on Changing AU to Gold.

Seeking expert advice on timing issues for our renewal:

September will make it one-year that I have had the Plat, and my wife has been an AU. I'm probably going to renew for myself as the FHR and IAP benefits have promise, and we have enjoyed Centurion lounge access. Since most of the benefits are attainable through one of us having the card, I'm going to cancel her Plat and change it to a no-fee Gold card.

I'm going to try to see if Amex will extend the card free for me for another year, and at the same time switch AU to Gold. Should I just go ahead and do this before any billing occurs, or wait until the cards are billed.

Many thanks for your insights.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:52 pm
Suspended

I'm going to try to see if Amex will extend the card free for me for another year, ...
Not going to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.