Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mysterym
pretty sure there is a minimum credit score for the platinum card and its in the 700s
I'm not sure the underwriting criteria for Green, Gold or Platinum is any different? They're all charge cards with the full amount due in full every month. They can control your max spending on any of them, and they'd probably have you on the card with the higher annual fee, right?

Just a guess on my part, of course.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I'm not sure the underwriting criteria for Green, Gold or Platinum is any different? They're all charge cards with the full amount due in full every month. They can control your max spending on any of them, and they'd probably have you on the card with the higher annual fee, right?

Just a guess on my part, of course.
if you google, there are stories that it is different. platinum is typically only issued to those with 700+
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mysterym
if you google, there are stories that it is different. platinum is typically only issued to those with 700+
I did google, and found testimonials by people with scores in the mid 600's that got it, that's why I was thinking that the underwriting criteria is the same.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I did google, and found testimonials by people with scores in the mid 600's that got it, that's why I was thinking that the underwriting criteria is the same.
I also saw a couple testimonials of people getting approved with mid-600s. Generally with a caveat that they had a history with Amex on other cards.

I get popup offers for platinum and it has that circled in red "special offer" when I look at other cards in my online login. I think the logic is probably sound that they want the high AF, since I already have the premier rewards gold I'm hoping that the underwriting is similar for Platinum. Though I'm concerned that choosing the Ameriprise version may hurt my chances since AF is waived.

Does anyone know if the underwriting process is different for the Ameriprise flavor of Plat vs. the standard personal platinum?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The waived annual fee is in lieu of a new account points bonus, this should not influence American Express' decision making process.
MadisonTrav89 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:52 pm

Anyone have a data point on canceling & reapplying for the card within a month of each other (or so)?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by MadisonTrav89
Data Point: Applied 10/12/17, got "in Progress" called number in new accounts 24 hours later (10/13/2017), was told (fairly quickly) to wait an additional 24-48 hours. Called again today 10/18/2017, longer conversation going on hold multiple times, and was given an application ID/confirmation #, and was told that they want an additional 24-48 again. Fingers crossed, seems like an awfully long denial process.

I was approved for the PRG just about a month ago (fewer than 30 days). I also have had the everyday for two years, so hoping it's an approval. According to Amex, I'm at a ~680 credit score, so not a slam dunk credit wise.

I'll call again on Monday after work and will update then.
UPDATE: (10/23/2017) Called again this morning...was told that I'd have to wait another 24-48 hours. I thought: "oh great, I'm in application purgatory"

BUT: got an Experian hard pull alert about an hour or two after with Amex as the bank. Checked my status online and it shows approved. I haven't gotten any emails, but it seems like the card is in the mail.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS
any recent DP regarding this product? Thinking of applying and hoping it is still a viable option.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
any recent DP regarding this product? Thinking of applying and hoping it is still a viable option.
My partner is on his second one. I'm a little wary (we don't two at the same time anyway) because I've never received a regular platinum new account bonus. He's already had the 100k (and in fact, before that he received some sort of opening bonus on this card, like 20k) so there's no worry there.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by trouble747
My partner is on his second one. I'm a little wary (we don't two at the same time anyway) because I've never received a regular platinum new account bonus. He's already had the 100k (and in fact, before that he received some sort of opening bonus on this card, like 20k) so there's no worry there.
I got ameriprise last year, then regular platinum in December and got 60k MR, couldn't pull the 100k and wanted the triple dip.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:56 am

Question Regarding Ameriprise Platinum Card

I am hoping y’all can help me out with my question that I can’t find an answer to. I currently have a Amex premier rewards gold and CSR. I have always loved the platinum but really didn’t see any benifits to it other then the Delta sky club access. I live in Atlanta and Delta is all I fly so I know the Platinum Card would be ideal for me. I use the CSR and Freedom Unlimited as a everyday cards because of the points. With this being said I have 10 more months with the annual fee waived for my PRG.( I stopped using this card even though I have already accumalated 100k points because I realized that I was getting better point redemption even flying Delta when I booked through the Chase Ultimaye Reward Portal than through Amex Travel or even transferring to my Skymiles account once I paid the transfer fee and taxes and fees through Delta. With all this being said (not trying to start up the CSR verse Amex Plat Debate Dead Horse) would it be possible to upgrade this PRG that I applied for through regular Amex to the Ameriprise Platinum Card. I just found out this morning that the Ameriprise Platinum has the fee waived for the first year as well. It would be great to be able to try out the Platinum for the remainder of my first year to see if the Sky Club access is worth the lower points per dollar for me. I know it’s probably not possible but figured y’all would know.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:15 am
mia

Originally Posted by Colecoop56
... possible to upgrade this PRG that I applied for through regular Amex to the Ameriprise Platinum Card...
No, you will need to apply if you want the Ameriprise version.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by mia
No, you will need to apply if you want the Ameriprise version.
Thats what I figured but thought it was worth a try.

On a side not I just found out about the Amex IAP program? Does anyone know if the discount on first class international redemptions/purchases brings the price closer to the 1.50 redemption with the CSR chase ultimate reward portal? When checking the same flights comparing Amex travel vs ultimate rewards the ultimate rewards was always 20k points cheaper. Would change things if the IAP program made it equal.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:46 am
mia

... closer to the 1.50 redemption with the CSR chase ultimate reward portal?...]
Business Platinum (only) has a feature which nets $0.0154 per point and offers discounts from published fares on some flights, but it works differently than Chase's portal. Discussion is here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...35-refund.html
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I am hoping y’all can help me out with my question that I can’t find an answer to. I currently have a Amex premier rewards gold and CSR. I have always loved the platinum but really didn’t see any benifits to it other then the Delta sky club access. I live in Atlanta and Delta is all I fly so I know the Platinum Card would be ideal for me. I use the CSR and Freedom Unlimited as a everyday cards because of the points. With this being said I have 10 more months with the annual fee waived for my PRG.( I stopped using this card even though I have already accumalated 100k points because I realized that I was getting better point redemption even flying Delta when I booked through the Chase Ultimaye Reward Portal than through Amex Travel or even transferring to my Skymiles account once I paid the transfer fee and taxes and fees through Delta. With all this being said (not trying to start up the CSR verse Amex Plat Debate Dead Horse) would it be possible to upgrade this PRG that I applied for through regular Amex to the Ameriprise Platinum Card. I just found out this morning that the Ameriprise Platinum has the fee waived for the first year as well. It would be great to be able to try out the Platinum for the remainder of my first year to see if the Sky Club access is worth the lower points per dollar for me. I know it’s probably not possible but figured y’all would know.
I would just apply for the Ameriprise Platinum.

A lot of people carry both the Platinum and PRG cards, with the PRG for the 2x categories and putting airfare on the Platinum for 5x points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.