Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Global Entry reimbursement

Anyone has applied the Global Entry to use this benefit?

If so, how long the credit shows up on the card after you pay the $100 application fee?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Anyone has applied the Global Entry to use this benefit?

If so, how long the credit shows up on the card after you pay the $100 application fee?
About 2-3 days after the Global Entry fee posts to the account.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
About 2-3 days after the Global Entry fee posts to the account.
Thanks for info. I saw our fee incurred on Wednesday night posted on Friday with Wed's date. So hopefully the credits would show up early next week.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Can we change the names of the additional card holders few months later i.e. get the Amex Plat now with 3 free additional cards but change the additional card holders few months later for no fee (still keeping only 3)?

thanks
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Applied on 8/25, called new accounts and told would be processed in 24 hours. Still pending as of 8/29, called again and processed/approved on the spot. Told me some apps got left out by accident...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:33 pm

Minumum Spend question

During my application ,I also added my spouse as an additional card holder.
1)If my spouse spends 3k in 3 months is this counted towards minimum spend limit.
2) As my spouse is a homemaker will spending with her card increase her credit score.

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by pbs_flyertalk
During my application ,I also added my spouse as an additional card holder.
1)If my spouse spends 3k in 3 months is this counted towards minimum spend limit.
2) As my spouse is a homemaker will spending with her card increase her credit score.

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks
Wow, 5 years registered and first post?! Welcome i guess

Spousal spending will count toward the 3k. As an authorized user (and not a joint user), i don't think your wife will see much impact to her credit score.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by teammjs
Wow, 5 years registered and first post?! Welcome i guess

Spousal spending will count toward the 3k. As an authorized user (and not a joint user), i don't think your wife will see much impact to her credit score.
I didn't have any questions for 5 years since I never added an authorized user.

Thanks for your response, this helps.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:05 am

I've been an American Express member since 2011. I just received my Ameriprise Platinum Card (non-Ameriprise member) and the member since date said 2014.

Did this happen to anyone else?

For what it's worth, they're sending me a replacement card and it's not too big of a deal.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Wyfind
I've been an American Express member since 2011. I just received my Ameriprise Platinum Card (non-Ameriprise member) and the member since date said 2014.

For what it's worth, they're sending me a replacement card and it's not too big of a deal.
I don't understand the problem. I been an Amex member since 2009 and I got this card, it says 2014. I haven't been a Platinum member since 2009 (since its the other card) so why should yours say 2011? Am I missing something?

Last edited by possib1edoc; Aug 30, 2014 at 8:26 am
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by possib1edoc
I don't understand the problem. I been an Amex member since 2009 and I got this card, it says 2014. I haven't been a Platinum member since 2009 (since its the other card) so why should yours say 2011? Am I missing something?
American Express backdates all your cards to the first card's opening date referring to when you first became a member of American Express.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:10 pm

American Express backdates all your cards to the first card's opening date referring to when you first became a member of American Express.
FWIW, this does not hold true for AUs. AUs' "memberships" are dated as of the date of the application, and are likewise not backdated on the credit reports. Both she and I have been members since 1995. If she were to apply for an AMEX card today and I were an AU, her card would say "Member Since 1995" while mine would indicate "Member Since 2014."

That's why now, unless I anticipate regular use of my wife's Amex cards, I will not get a card on her account as an AU. I don't want to unnecessarily skew my AAoA.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...

Physical card will have the date for which the card was applied for MSD but your credit report will have a backdate for the account number. i.e (Your first AX card is from 8/2012 and that card has MSD as 12, You app on 8/2014, card is printed with MSD 14 but when the card is report to TU,EX,EQ, it will show that you have had the card since 2012). It really should not matter what the physical card says, as long as you see the MSD on AX website as the correct one-you are good.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbs_flyertalk
I didn't have any questions for 5 years since I never added an authorized user.

Thanks for your response, this helps.
FYI, AMEX does not call it Authorized user. AMEX calls it Additional User.

Authorized user has a different meaning in AMEX world.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrMoonlight
FWIW, this does not hold true for AUs. AUs' "memberships" are dated as of the date of the application, and are likewise not backdated on the credit reports. Both she and I have been members since 1995. If she were to apply for an AMEX card today and I were an AU, her card would say "Member Since 1995" while mine would indicate "Member Since 2014."

That's why now, unless I anticipate regular use of my wife's Amex cards, I will not get a card on her account as an AU. I don't want to unnecessarily skew my AAoA.
I believe AU accounts are no longer used in the calculation of one's own credit score - that loophole has been plugged a few years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.