Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:50 pm

I had this card for a bit over two years. The benefits are not identical to a regular American Express Platinum. I forget which but out of the three - return protection, extended warranty, purchase protection - one is not available. I think extended warranty is there it was one of the other two. There were some other subtle differences I can't remember. I got this card with no annual fee the first year and 50,000 bonus sign up. Then I matched to a 100,000 bonus ID and they still gave me the 50,000 so I walked away with 150,000 points. Transferred them to Delta when they had the mileage transfer bonus, cashed out in Amex gift cards worth $2250, and got Delta Medallion status. Great deal.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Your application will be processed as soon as possible, and we will notify you of the decision by mail within 10-12 business days.
Thank you for applying!
Argh.... Really?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by fL1Pm0d3
You can come find me in the RDU and beat me up if you get FR'd and lose this card.
Deal.

Though I was truthful on my application, and my relationship with AX goes back to the mid 80's, so far no FRs. If they trigger one, I don't expect problems.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
Argh.... Really?
Oh. I had that happen two years ago when I applied for the DL Platinum. A few minutes later I got two emails, once said to call some number to verify some information, and the second one (which arrived moments after the first) congratulated me on the approval.

I still called the number, and the agent said "it happens sometimes, we're all good on this end".
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Oh. I had that happen two years ago when I applied for the DL Platinum. A few minutes later I got two emails, once said to call some number to verify some information, and the second one (which arrived moments after the first) congratulated me on the approval.

I still called the number, and the agent said "it happens sometimes, we're all good on this end".
I guess I'll be keeping a look out. ^
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I get that, but why couldn't they send the initial card via overnight courier? Even the USPS offers that service (and they deliver on Sundays).
They decided it was better to save a couple dollars on shipping. Funny since Citi has been overnighting the Executive card automatically.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:36 pm

I guess I'll be keeping a look out. ^
There's also an online tool you can use to check on the app status, google "amex application status". It asks you to enter your SSN and your phone number.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:55 pm

There's also an online tool you can use to check on the app status, google "amex application status". It asks you to enter your SSN and your phone number.

Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:51 pm

The card came in today, I activated it, looks fine.

The problem is that when I go to add additional card members (wife and kids) I am told that the fee will be $175 for up to three cards.

Have any of you with this card gone through this? Did you get charged and had to fight it, or did they waive it automatically?

Last edited by fliesdelta; Mar 5, 2014 at 8:27 pm Reason: fixed minor typo
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:14 pm

The card came in today, I activated it, looks fine.

The problem is that when I go to add additional card members (wife and kids) I am told that the fee will be $175 for up to three cards.

Have any of you with this card gone through this? Did you get charge and had to fight it, or did they waive it automatically?
I had the same question... It said $0 on the initial application...
Ask via the Live Chat.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:22 pm

I had the same question... It said $0 on the initial application...
Ask via the Live Chat.
I did, and they "have to look into it". I was told that the department that can answer that question is closed for the day, so the agent promised to call me tomorrow with the answer.

I'll post the results. For now, I'll hold off on adding cards.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:46 am

I did, and they "have to look into it". I was told that the department that can answer that question is closed for the day, so the agent promised to call me tomorrow with the answer.

I'll post the results. For now, I'll hold off on adding cards.
Let me know!
Got the email today saying my card shipped yesterday. Was hoping to receive it today lol.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:55 pm

Let me know!
Got the email today saying my card shipped yesterday. Was hoping to receive it today lol.
OK, they got back to me, and the additional card members are indeed $0 for the first year. I added my family members, the cards should be here in a few days.

The card is chip & sign, btw.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:58 pm

OK, they got back to me, and the additional card members are indeed $0 for the first year. I added my family members, the cards should be here in a few days.

Great to hear. Will sign up a few family members to take advantage of some of the perks. Global Entry etc etc. ^

Possibly tomorrow for the card.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:04 pm

There is no chip in the card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.