Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by genotonda
Looking for an AMEX card just to have access to the americanexpress.com ...
American Express issues numerous free cards. I am curious what you believe you will gain by having access to the website.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mia
American Express issues numerous free cards. I am curious what you believe you will gain by having access to the website.
What I am wanting to gain access to is the 3 month free trial of the $99 overnight shipping program for AGC. You need to log into an americanexpress.com account in order to have the ability to take advantage of that offer.

I figured that if I was going to get an AMEX card I mind as well get one with some decent perks as long as the AF is waived.

That's why I am trying to determine if getting 50k Delta to just hang on to and cash in when a saver level award fits my need (I fly primarily WN, followed by AA), or if the 25k offer for this card is the better bargain.

I am not familiar with the best redemption methods for AMEX points.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I am wanting to gain access to is the 3 month free trial of the $99 overnight shipping program for AGC. You need to log into an americanexpress.com account in order to have the ability to take advantage of that offer.

I figured that if I was going to get an AMEX card I mind as well get one with some decent perks as long as the AF is waived.

That's why I am trying to determine if getting 50k Delta to just hang on to and cash in when a saver level award fits my need (I fly primarily WN, followed by AA), or if the 25k offer for this card is the better bargain.

I am not familiar with the best redemption methods for AMEX points.
Membership reward points can be transferred to BA which is oneworld partner. Since you fly AA you may be already familiar with BA award which can be truly high value for short haul one segment flight on either AA or US. If you could use Avios for the short haul then 25K MR pts worth a lot more than 50K DL miles.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:38 pm

...That's why I am trying to determine if getting 50k Delta to just hang on to and cash in when a saver level award fits my need (I fly primarily WN, followed by AA), or if the 25k offer for this card is the better bargain.
I'd get the Ameriprise. You can make WN your airline of choice and get $400 to spend on WN, along with the 25k MR points that can transfer to at least 25K Avios. AMEX has had bonuses on the MR to AVIOS transfers in the past of 30%, 40% and I think once 50%. I also see you have DFW listed as one of your locations and there are many direct flights out of DFW that are good deals with AVIOS on AA.

WN resource: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-only-17.html

Avios resource:http://travelisfree.com/2013/06/18/best-use-ba-avios/
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:38 pm

ddallas -Wow great info you provided for genotonda! Thanks for being so helpful.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:05 am

Ameriprise Amex Platinum fee free for one year, now with 25,000 point signup bonus

Anyone who had a Mercedes-Benz plat before get this bonus?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by bobby21
Anyone who had a Mercedes-Benz plat before get this bonus?
Post #147
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:34 am

Ameriprise Amex Platinum fee free for one year, now with 25,000 point signup bonus

Applied. Called new accounts and rep verified name address etc. then said it has to go to another group for approval and will take 3 days. Is there any other recon number to call?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by bobby21
Applied. Called new accounts and rep verified name address etc. then said it has to go to another group for approval and will take 3 days. Is there any other recon number to call?
I was told the same thing and the application showed as approved on the application status webpage the next morning. I quickly met spend after I received the card and the 25k bonus points posted after the first statement cut. I have previously held the regular Platinum, business Platinum, and MB Platinum. I think this card may count as a different product from the regular Platinum card because it says Ameriprise on the back of it. I have also received my $200 airline credit for this calendar year.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: UR(ink bold; Freedom), Skymiles Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold)
Originally Posted by ddallas
I'd get the Ameriprise. You can make WN your airline of choice and get $400 to spend on WN, along with the 25k MR points that can transfer to at least 25K Avios. AMEX has had bonuses on the MR to AVIOS transfers in the past of 30%, 40% and I think once 50%. I also see you have DFW listed as one of your locations and there are many direct flights out of DFW that are good deals with AVIOS on AA.

WN resource: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-only-17.html

Avios resource:http://travelisfree.com/2013/06/18/best-use-ba-avios/

This is going to sound like a total noob question, but I haven't been able to figure it out for the life of me. What airline is WN?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:18 pm

WN is Southwest.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Another data point of pending, and immediate approval after call. Tone of CSR changed dramatically too after discovery of what card I had applied for.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Instant approval with 3 AUs. Not an Ameripriser. Never had a Plat. This is da bomb! Can't wait to lounge in LGA on my "$768 for A3 *G" mileage run next month!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:18 pm

Ameriprise AMEX Platinum, wife additional member, unpaid. Can she get lounge, global?

I signed up for the Ameriprise AMEX Platinum with first year fee waived in March, and got a card for my wife as well when I signed up. There was no additional fee for the extra card.

Will she be able to use that card to get into Delta Lounges, and to get the Global Entry reimbursement?

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MaputoBound
Will she be able to use that card to get into Delta Lounges, and to get the Global Entry reimbursement?
Yes. Supplementary cardholders receive all of the benefits of the product. (Note that the $200 annual airline fee reimbursement benefit is shared, it is $200 per account, not per card.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.