Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Iridium7777
anyone know how long the $0 for additional card member is good for in the "first year"?

i still have my Pt card but thinking about canceling in the next 6 month. would like my wife to jump on this deal but can she add me to her card for $0 in 6-7 month from now or does it have to be at the same time she gets her card?

if it can be initiated 6 months from now this is a great deal.
FYI, received the card about a month ago. Called today to add 2 additional card holders but had to call 3x to get rep to acknowledge no additional annual fee for up to 3 card holders for the additional year.

If you are thinking about adding additional card holders, you may want to do so at the application page rather than wait to save yourself some hassle.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:56 pm

Thinking about applying this one, but also feel tempted for the 100K from Business Platinum card.

I guess this would the choices between points or annual fees?!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by 54austin
Just saw the 25k sign-up bonus in my account after meeting the min spend. I am *not* an Ameriprise customer. Also, I had a Plat Mercedes Benz card a few years ago (account closed in Sep 2013). Just one data point, but still should be encouraging.
Excellent news, hope it holds true for me as well. Had a MB Plat until sometime last year (may have also been Sept when I canceled) and just got approved for the Ameriprise offer.

Any idea if the waived AF counts as a bonus? That is, if I get denied the 25k MR because I had the MB Plat, does anyone have any idea if I would also get denied the waived annual fee? The MRs are effectively incidental -- I want that $0 AF!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tnpatterson
Excellent news, hope it holds true for me as well. Had a MB Plat until sometime last year (may have also been Sept when I canceled) and just got approved for the Ameriprise offer.

Any idea if the waived AF counts as a bonus? That is, if I get denied the 25k MR because I had the MB Plat, does anyone have any idea if I would also get denied the waived annual fee? The MRs are effectively incidental -- I want that $0 AF!
I can't imagine the waived annual fee counts as a bonus. Isn't it in the T&C?

I added my partner as an additional cardholder and confirmed on the phone that there would be no fee for the first year, so I assume that's the case for me, the primary cardholder, too.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:06 pm

I added my partner as an additional cardholder and confirmed on the phone that there would be no fee for the first year, so I assume that's the case for me, the primary cardholder, too.
It is in the Terms and Conditions. First year free.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Folks, dont you at least give a quick glance on the T&Cs when you do your online application?

Some banks would not even let you pass that screen if you either do not click open the T&C window, or do not move that arrow down to the end of the window...

AND, the PRINTED T&Cs also is enclosed in the material that are sent to you together with the cards... Right there there are all the different fees are listed...

Originally Posted by ddallas
It is in the Terms and Conditions. First year free.
Exactly.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Folks, dont you at least give a quick glance on the T&Cs when you do your online application?

Some banks would not even let you pass that screen if you either do not click open the T&C window, or do not move that arrow down to the end of the window...

AND, the PRINTED T&Cs also is enclosed in the material that are sent to you together with the cards... Right there there are all the different fees are listed...

Exactly.
Yes, I did read the T&Cs actually, but given how often there is a gap between what the T&Cs say vs the actual reality when it comes to credit cards/banks, I thought it worth putting the question to the group.

I appreciate everyone's feedback nonetheless.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I did read the T&Cs actually, but given how often there is a gap between what the T&Cs say vs the actual reality when it comes to credit cards/banks, I thought it worth putting the question to the group.

I appreciate everyone's feedback nonetheless.

They cannot charge you the AF if it is said in the T&Cs that 1st year is waived.

Nowhere in the T&Cs mentioned the waived AF is considered a bonus. I believe there is not a single card from any bank that would treat the waiver of AF as a bonus which in general has some conditions - be it on first purchase or on a spend requirement.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:57 pm

About how many days after approval does it take to receive your card? Are they sending them by US mail or UPS or? I applied Thursday evening and received an e mail Saturday evening of approval. I am going to be out of town for a week or two soon so I don’t want anyone leaving the card on my doorstep or sending it back. Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by crzn
About how many days after approval does it take to receive your card? Are they sending them by US mail or UPS or? I applied Thursday evening and received an e mail Saturday evening of approval. I am going to be out of town for a week or two soon so I don’t want anyone leaving the card on my doorstep or sending it back. Thanks
Regular US mail. For me, about 7 days.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:48 pm

Thanks! ddallas
I'll put a hold on my mail if its not here before I leave.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:37 am

Data point:
August 2: Applied for Ameriprise Platinum
August 5: Approved
August 9: Received card
August 10: Purchased $200.00 United Gift Registry
August 13: $200.00 airline fee credit posted
August 13: Reached $3,000 minimum spend
August 15: 25K MR points posted
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
Originally Posted by MrMoonlight
Data point:
August 2: Applied for Ameriprise Platinum
August 5: Approved
August 9: Received card
August 10: Purchased $200.00 United Gift Registry
August 13: $200.00 airline fee credit posted
August 13: Reached $3,000 minimum spend
August 15: 25K MR points posted
have you had personal plat or Benz plat before? if so, how long ago since you closed?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by explorer84
have you had personal plat or Benz plat before? if so, how long ago since you closed?
Actually, FWIW, I neglected to mention that the DP was for my wife. This was her first Amex platinum card of any kind.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Looking for an AMEX card just to have access to the americanexpress.com site/portal. Am looking at this one and the Delta 50k miles card. Any suggestions?

I will not keep either after the AF. I know Skymiles have (in some opinions) a low value due to the crappy award redemption.

What are some of the best ways to maximize the 25k that this offer provides? I do likte the GE fee reimbursement as I was looking at getting TSA Precheck anyways.

Thanks for any input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.