Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by joe_miami
I’ve been talking about it for at least a year. It was being severely abused by the “churner” and “travel hacker” crowds. Even if it doesn’t make a noticeable difference in Centurion lounges, I’m glad Amex finally changed it. I was starting to feel like a sucker for paying my Plat AF.
I'm a full supporter that we all should pay something upfront to play in this game. Too many people doing this without "risking" anything will eventually brings attention for regulation and stuff. $550 annual fee (even if you get waaaaay more than that after) is a big deterrent.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/rewards...ck-11546365926

https://www.wsj.com/articles/shopper...hem-1537867801

Last edited by Javier1704; Feb 6, 2019 at 9:48 am Reason: Fixing post.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:56 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mysterym
lasted 6-8 years IIRC
This thread starts in 2007 with discussion of Ameriprise ending their relationship with American Express. That's when they launched a MasterCard with free Priority Pass, which was discussed here:

MasterCard World Elite - Ameriprise

...but the American Express cards didn't disappear, and by 2009 (around post 15) you can see the first offer with a fee waiver rather than a bonus. There was briefly a period with -both- a fee waiver and a modest bonus.

Fee waiver in lieu of a bonus could be sustainable if they didn't allow repetitions.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by mia
This thread starts in 2007 with discussion of Ameriprise ending their relationship with American Express. That's when they launched a MasterCard with free Priority Pass, which was discussed here:

MasterCard World Elite - Ameriprise

...but the American Express cards didn't disappear, and by 2009 (around post 15) you can see the first offer with a fee waiver rather than a bonus. There was briefly a period with -both- a fee waiver and a modest bonus.

Fee waiver in lieu of a bonus could be sustainable if they didn't allow repetitions.
i meant to say its been widely known for 6-8 years. i know hundreds of people that go it back in 2012 after someone sent out an email to an office of traveling consultants and by then people were telling their friends, family, etc

I'd have to look for my old posts but I was able to milk $3k out of the card just from sign up bonus conversion to travelers checks/cash IIRC along with not only first annual fee waived but got the second year, and then 50% off year three, finally nothing in year 4 so I dropped the card
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by mia
Mia, how much of the fee waiver (if any) do you think was financed by Ameriprise? My opinion is that this was a good deal for Amex: new signups, no MR welcome bonuses, and a portion of the first year's AF paid by Ameriprise. I think it's Ameriprise that finally pulled the plug, not Amex.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:54 am

I also noticed that the application for the Ameriprise Amex Gold no longer comes up and the card is not showing up in the Ameriprise website either. I believe that was the only downgrade option available for the Ameriprise Platinum in the past so I wonder if they will let current Ameriprise Platinum holders downgrade to the regular Gold or if there's just no downgrade path and you need to just close the account if you don't want to pay the fee.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Looks like the First Year AF free has going away. Very Sad Day!

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...replaced_with/
Agreed, a very sad day for some of us.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:37 am

I imagine it'd still be around if they actually checked if you had an Ameriprise relationship. Sadly when my cards are up for renewal it will probably be the end of my Centurion Lounge visits.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Javier1704
I'm a full supporter that we all should pay something upfront to play in this game. Too many people doing this without "risking" anything will eventually brings attention for regulation and stuff. $550 annual fee (even if you get waaaaay more than that after) is a big deterrent.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/rewards...ck-11546365926

https://www.wsj.com/articles/shopper...hem-1537867801
I will still hack/churn the hell out of this card in December each year. Open, get the airline credits in both Dec/Jan, plus lounge access + $100 Saks credit + Uber credits. And then close after the AF posts for the AF refund.

AMEX can pound sand.
jeremyandbindi, hi55us and pcoll like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kapooncha
I will still hack/churn the hell out of this card in December each year. Open, get the airline credits in both Dec/Jan, plus lounge access + $100 Saks credit + Uber credits. And then close after the AF posts for the AF refund.

AMEX can pound sand.
Grifters are gonna grift.
kapooncha likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:27 pm

Will wait for 75-100k min-spend bonus...can you referral yourself to this card from the Biz Gold?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Willbur
I imagine it'd still be around if they actually checked if you had an Ameriprise relationship.
I doubt it would still be around. My bet is that the only way this would still be around or come back is if Amex and Ameriprise came to a new agreement whereby Ameriprise puts money on the table for Amex and Amex sees money come more directly its way. And even then I have my doubts that an Ameriprise Amex card would be back to being almost an exact ditto copy of the regular Amex Platinum and almost an exact ditto copy of the same benefits.

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Yes, but the loophole, such as it was, only became widely known a couple years ago.
What loophole? The ability to get this card (repeatedly at that) for no annual fee the first year has been known about for many years.

Amex is now more desperate for fee revenue than before and so eliminating fee waivers and raising fees is the order of the day. Amex is also on overdrive toward increasing revenue from other fees/charges beside just annual fees.

I am not one to cry about others lawfully getting a better deal than myself just because Im not willing or able to jump thru the same hoops to get the same result, so it didnt bother me that I paid annual fees for Amex Plat cards while the Ameriprise version was fee waived in ways. The big issue is that this is part and parcel of what I mentioned in my prior paragraph in this post. How will that be good for anyone beside Amex (and its shareholders)? It wont be for most.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 8, 2019 at 1:52 am
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Does anyone who currently has card been able to add additional users for free since fee change? I have had the card since July 2018 and tried to add my wife as additional user for free but they are telling me $175 fee for 3 users. I told the rep that no charge for Amerprise but she stated all information she has is that there is fee.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Does anyone who currently has card been able to add additional users for free since fee change? I have had the card since July 2018 and tried to add my wife as additional user for free but they are telling me $175 fee for 3 users. I told the rep that no charge for Amerprise but she stated all information she has is that there is fee.
The reps used to say that there was a fee for the additional user cards even when there wasnt a fee to be charged. Whether or not that has changed for those within the accounts first membership year is not known to me, but cant you put in for the cards and then have them cancelled if/when the additional user card fee shows up and then get the fee cancelled along with the cards? I thought there was a window of time where card fees could be rescinded on the basis of cancelling the cards/account.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS
Called to cancel card today. AF posted Feb 8. Was told I would be charged back for Airline Fee for Canceling card at one year. And, now, just seeing that the No Fee for first year is gone, rethinking approach. Perhaps card without AU in the future .
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by pcoll
Called to cancel card today. AF posted Feb 8. Was told I would be charged back for Airline Fee for Canceling card at one year. And, now, just seeing that the No Fee for first year is gone, rethinking approach. Perhaps card without AU in the future .
Huh? I hope you argued that vociferously. The airline fee is by calendar year - AMEX's rules, not ours.

Hopefully, you just got an ill-informed CSR on the phone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.