Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by dreamspeed
Wow, i've gotten credit cards quickly in the past before but I applied for this card last Friday and got it today (Monday).

I was able to add an AU as part of the app and I don't remember seeing anything about whether or not there is a 175 fee.
In the actual paper credit card agreement i received with the the card i see that it indicates authorized users are 175 dollars?

Does that mean I need to pay?
AU free first year
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:04 am

For AU cards (platinum) for this ameriprise platinum card,

am i right that each AU will receive the following benefits
- $100 global entry
- priority pass/centurion/delta skyclub lounge access
- spg gold
- hilton gold

but will not receive the below benefits
- $200 airline credit
- $15 x 11 and $20 uber credit
- $50 x 2 saks credit

did i summarize it right? or miss anything?

can you request the priority pass card for AU via online or amex chat, or does this still require call-in?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
did i summarize it right? or miss anything?
The benefits are the same as regular plat AUs, just no fee for the first year. Your summary is correct.

Originally Posted by gnomey
can you request the priority pass card for AU via online or amex chat, or does this still require call-in?
Either chat or call in works.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
The benefits are the same as regular plat AUs, just no fee for the first year. Your summary is correct.

Either chat or call in works.
thank you!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:26 am

Looks like the First Year AF free has going away. Very Sad Day!

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...replaced_with/
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:45 am

Wow big bummer was about to sign up again as it had been some years since I last used
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Is it just me or someone else thinks that ending this was long time overdue? Crowded lounges, free credits, people opening and closing up account to keep plat for free? Come on, you gotta pay something upfront to play this game.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Application here:
https://online.americanexpress.com/d...details#/cshop

Offer now the same as standard card: 60,000 for $5,000 in 3 months. $550 annual fee, $175/year for three supplementary Platinum cards.

This is still better than the standard card due to this feature:

Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by mia
Application here:
https://online.americanexpress.com/d...details#/cshop

Offer now the same as standard card: 60,000 for $5,000 in 3 months. $550 annual fee, $175/year for three supplementary Platinum cards.

This is still better than the standard card due to this feature:
Unless they have changed/fixed, that $20k must be met each year (unknown if calendar year or membership/renewal). I.e. if you spend $19,999 by December 31st and $1 on Jan 1st you will not get the 5,000 points. When I signed up the language was not clear and they did not issue me points that I believed I earned. I pressed them, escalated, and eventually as a good will gesture they awarded the points. I don't know if they have changed the language or how points are awarded since then. They were citing the "per year" at the end of the sentence but to me that was just a cap as to how many points could be earned in a given year not how spending was tracked/accumulated.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Essentially the spend counter resets to zero on January 1 of each year?

As an Ameriprise client, 5,000 additional points will be awarded to your Membership Rewards® program account for every $20,000 in Eligible Purchases on the Card. A maximum of 30,000 additional points can be earned in each calendar year. Eligible Purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible Purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional points will be credited to your program account within 8-12 weeks after the billing period in which you achieved $20,000 of Eligible Purchases, provided that your Card Account is not canceled or past due on the bonus crediting date. Eligible purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. Additional points will be awarded only on Platinum Card Accounts obtained through an arrangement between American Express and Ameriprise. Additional point awards will cease upon termination of the arrangement between American Express and Ameriprise. Bonus ID: 0695.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Javier1704
Is it just me or someone else thinks that ending this was long time overdue? Crowded lounges, free credits, people opening and closing up account to keep plat for free? Come on, you gotta pay something upfront to play this game.
Oh, it's clearly overdue... and that's coming from someone who has the card.

It's not going to move the needle on crowded lounges though. Everyone I've personally introduced to this card, including myself, would pay for it anyway (and have in the past) if not for the free option. As far as churners are concerned, this is a positive change--a new opportunity for more MR signup bonus points--if they haven't had this card in the past. So I think you'll actually see an influx of new applicants now.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by mysterym
Wow big bummer was about to sign up again as it had been some years since I last used
I just learned about the opportunity within the last week and planned to apply sometime in the next few days. Oh well. It sounded too good to last, and it was.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Javier1704
I’ve been talking about it for at least a year. It was being severely abused by the “churner” and “travel hacker” crowds. Even if it doesn’t make a noticeable difference in Centurion lounges, I’m glad Amex finally changed it. I was starting to feel like a sucker for paying my Plat AF.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by LWT3
I just learned about the opportunity within the last week and planned to apply sometime in the next few days. Oh well. It sounded too good to last, and it was.
lasted 6-8 years IIRC
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mysterym
lasted 6-8 years IIRC
Yes, but the loophole, such as it was, only became widely known a couple years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.