Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by fly2
Anyone able to add first additional card member for $0?

On Amex's own website it says:
Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards.†
but they're saying they don't have that promotion in their system and it'll cost $175? Went back and forth and they gave me Ameriprise Financial's number and they gave me back Amex's number.
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Did you complete an online Amex Ameriprise application? Start here:

https://www.ameriprise.com/products-.../credit-cards/

The answer to your question is yes, for the first year, AU is free.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Did you complete an online Amex Ameriprise application? Start here
The answer to your question is yes, for the first year, AU is free.
Yes, I already have the card in my possession and called the number on the back of the card. So the rep is wrong?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by fly2

Yes, I already have the card in my possession and called the number on the back of the card. So the rep is wrong?
Yes, the rep is wrong. Same thing happened when my P2 received her card. When she went to add an AU, rep told her it would be $175 charged to her next bill.

Apparently, the AMEX IT system now makes it difficult for the reps to distinguish between the Ameriprise version and the vanilla Plat version. After about 15 minutes of discussion, the rep finally understood that it was the Ameriprise version and that it states in the terms and conditions of the card that AUs are fee free for the first year.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:14 am
foo

Programs: MR, TY, UR
If you have had this card before and cancelled, can you sign up for it again and get a second fee free year? I guess you consider this to be 'churning' for the card benefits alone.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by foo
If you have had this card before and cancelled, can you sign up for it again and get a second fee free year? I guess you consider this to be 'churning' for the card benefits alone.
If you sign up again you'll get your first year free. Not your second year.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by foo
If you have had this card before and cancelled, can you sign up for it again and get a second fee free year?.....
Yes, but take into account the offer terms for OTHER American Express cards:

Welcome Offer not available to applicants who have or have had this card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
Opening/closing/re-applying for Ameriprise Platinum might affect your eligibility for other card bonuses, in particular if you primarily use the card for benefits rather than spending. I am not aware of any evidence that this has happened, only making the narrow point that "opened and closed" are explicitly mentioned in the new terms which are discussed here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html
Robl likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:43 pm
mia

Moderator action

Question about reimbursement of Southwest Airlines giftcards moved to more specific thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...west-only.html
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:59 pm

Is the 5k bonus every 20k spent per calendar year or membership year?
I signed up in February, I'm 5k away from my next 5k bonus - do i have to spend 5k from now till december 31st of do they "roll-over" to 2019?

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:50 pm
mia

Ameriprise Platinum Membership Rewards® points
As an Ameriprise client, 5,000 additional points will be awarded to your Membership Rewards® program account for every $20,000 in Eligible Purchases on the Card. A maximum of 30,000 additional points can be earned in each calendar year. Eligible Purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible Purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional points will be credited to your program account within 8-12 weeks after the billing period in which you achieved $20,000 of Eligible Purchases, provided that your Card Account is not canceled or past due on the bonus crediting date. Eligible purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. Additional points will be awarded only on Platinum Card Accounts obtained through an arrangement between American Express and Ameriprise. Additional point awards will cease upon termination of the arrangement between American Express and Ameriprise. Bonus ID: 0695.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Yes, the rep is wrong. Same thing happened when my P2 received her card. When she went to add an AU, rep told her it would be $175 charged to her next bill.

Apparently, the AMEX IT system now makes it difficult for the reps to distinguish between the Ameriprise version and the vanilla Plat version. After about 15 minutes of discussion, the rep finally understood that it was the Ameriprise version and that it states in the terms and conditions of the card that AUs are fee free for the first year.

The terms on the Ameriprise site state the additional user fee for the first year is $0. The hardcopy cardmember agreement sent with card my partner just received today state the fee is $175. The paper copy did correctly state the $0 introductory annual fee. Has anyone else seen this? He just requested a card for me so hopefully, the terms on the Ameriprise site prevail.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:09 pm
mia

Originally Posted by pokeygirl
.... hardcopy cardmember agreement sent with card my partner just received today state the fee is $175. .....
If you use Search this Thread with the term: $175 you will find plenty of inconsistent information about this from American Express, but as I recall everyone has paid $0 for the first year.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I had this card but cancelled back in October. Do you know if you apply again if you would get the year free again and if they would create a new account or restore the old one after applying? Anyone ever experience this
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid
I had this card but cancelled back in October. Do you know if you apply again if you would get the year free again and if they would create a new account or restore the old one after applying? Anyone ever experience this
You will get it free. It will be a new account.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
The application process was buggy and didn't let me add the AU's (as it did last time). For anyone adding AU recently, were you able to do it online after approval and have it reflected as $0? Or did it require an agent to add?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by pokeygirl
The terms on the Ameriprise site state the additional user fee for the first year is $0. The hardcopy cardmember agreement sent with card my partner just received today state the fee is $175. The paper copy did correctly state the $0 introductory annual fee. Has anyone else seen this? He just requested a card for me so hopefully, the terms on the Ameriprise site prevail.
Any update? Also was this requested online or thru an agent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.