Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Seeking expert advice on timing issues for our renewal:....
This is really a retention question. If you look at this thread you will see that fee waivers or significant credits are rare, and offers of points (with a spending requirement) are common. Assuming they will not waive the $550 fee would you cancel?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...on-offers.html
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mia
This is really a retention question. If you look at this thread you will see that fee waivers or significant credits are rare, and offers of points (with a spending requirement) are common. Assuming they will not waive the $550 fee would you cancel?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...on-offers.html
Thanks. Il keep it for myself but not for my wife. Any suggestions of timing re her Plat vs. Gold?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:47 am

Seeking expert advice on timing issues for our renewal:

September will make it one-year that I have had the Plat, and my wife has been an AU. I'm probably going to renew for myself as the FHR and IAP benefits have promise, and we have enjoyed Centurion lounge access. Since most of the benefits are attainable through one of us having the card, I'm going to cancel her Plat and change it to a no-fee Gold card.

I'm going to try to see if Amex will extend the card free for me for another year, and at the same time switch AU to Gold. Should I just go ahead and do this before any billing occurs, or wait until the cards are billed.

Many thanks for your insights.
Why not cancel your card and have your wife sign up and put you as an AU? SAVE the AF and get all the benefits.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Robl
Why not cancel your card and have your wife sign up and put you as an AU? SAVE the AF and get all the benefits.
Thanks for your suggestion. I would not do that because it is a solution that has a one-year lifespan.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:09 am

Thanks for your suggestion. I would not do that because it is a solution that has a one-year lifespan.
Annual fees occur annually. Every credit card choice has a one-year lifespan. Next year, when faced with the same decision, your wife's spouse (aka you) can use the same solution that was suggested.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
This is one of those rare times that it pays to talk to a human being.
Originally Posted by gbryan84
I recently got the Ameriprise card and a week later added authorized users. The website said it would charge $175, but I wasn't and did everything online.
I saw the fee when I was online as well. I ended up calling and at first was quoted $175, but then I stated it was an ameriprise version. They put me on a short hold and then gave me the additional card for free.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:42 am

Do we know as of late whether opening the Ameriprise plat without a new account bonus prevents one from obtaining such a bonus on a different type of Platinum card later?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
This does seem like the best AMEX Plat card, just for the $550+ fee being waived for the first year. It does have the normal benefits, so while you may not be getting points, you are saving cash!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Here is a data point...On my third attempt to get some relief on my second renewal (third year of use) of the
card, I was offered $300 off the $550 yearly fee for a spend of $4K in next 3 months. think that was a fair offer
since I value the card to be worth $250 per year or so.
Original offers were 1. No, you pay $550 or 2. Fee waived for 55K MR points
I rejected both and third call led to a mutually acceptable offer :-)
Robl and 747FC like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Wow, that's fantastic
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
How many authorized users are you allowed to add for the first year? According to the terms:
Additional Platinum Cards: $0 introductory fee for the first year; then $175 for up to three Additional Platinum Cards and $175 for each Additional Platinum Card after the first three, $0 for any Additional Gold cards. Foreign Transaction Fee: None.
, it sounds like you can add as many as you want?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by pregabalin
How many authorized users are you allowed to add for the first year? According to the terms:
Additional Platinum Cards: $0 introductory fee for the first year; then $175 for up to three Additional Platinum Cards and $175 for each Additional Platinum Card after the first three, $0 for any Additional Gold cards. Foreign Transaction Fee: None.
, it sounds like you can add as many as you want?
First year should be up to 3 for free. Haven't tried doing more than 3.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:19 pm

Thinking of canceling my Amex platinum before renewal fee to get this card. Does this card come with Centaurion lounge access and priority pass?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by baydude
.... Does this card come with Centaurion lounge access and priority pass?
Yes
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by baydude
Thinking of canceling my Amex platinum before renewal fee to get this card. Does this card come with Centaurion lounge access and priority pass?
Basically it's the same exact thing as the regular plat ex the sign up bonus

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.