Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:05 pm
ckr

Applied late last night and got 10-12 day response from application submission. Called today and was asked to verify my address but was told they couldn't expedite the approval process and should hear back within 7 calendar days.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by ckr
Applied late last night and got 10-12 day response from application submission. Called today and was asked to verify my address but was told they couldn't expedite the approval process and should hear back within 7 calendar days.
Give it time young padawan.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:49 pm

If all the varieties of the plat are considered different (personal, MB, Ameriprise, etc), that would be awesome. I'm on the last few months of my Ameriprise platinum from last year, would love to re-up as I travel through airports with a centurion lounge all the time.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:10 pm

Data point:
March: Canceled personal plat after AF
Sunday, April 19: Applied for Ameriprise Platinum, pending, 10-12 day notice.
Monday, April 20: called recon line, approved. CSR explained they just wanted to verify it was I that was applying to ensure against fraud.
Tuesday, April 21: Received card via overnight courier.
Wednesday, April 22: made 6k purchase
Saturday, April 25: 25,000 points posted today.
Just that quickly!

Last edited by MrMoonlight; Apr 26, 2015 at 9:02 pm
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by MrMoonlight
Data point:
March: Canceled personal plat after AF
Sunday, April 19: Applied for Ameriprise Platinum, pending, 10-12 day notice.
Monday, April 20: called recon line, approved. CSR explained they just wanted to verify it was I that was applying to ensure against fraud.
Tuesday, April 21: Received card via overnight courier.
Wednesday, April 22: made 6k purchase
Saturday, April 25: 25,000 points posted today.
Just that quickly!
My personal platinum is about to incur its annual fee, so I'd like to do the same thing you did. I'm worried that my MR points will be lost, though, as soon as I cancel my personal platinum, since I don't have any other MR accounts.

Will my MR points remain active for a while after my account is closed, or should I first open the Amex Everyday before closing my existing Platinum to ensure my points are retained?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by hoplite67
My personal platinum is about to incur its annual fee, so I'd like to do the same thing you did. I'm worried that my MR points will be lost, though, as soon as I cancel my personal platinum, since I don't have any other MR accounts.

Will my MR points remain active for a while after my account is closed, or should I first open the Amex Everyday before closing my existing Platinum to ensure my points are retained?
Did you google or search? The answer to your question can be found pretty quickly.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...should I first open the Amex Everyday before closing my existing Platinum to ensure my points are retained?
Yes, you must open the Everyday card account first and verify that it is linked to the same Membership Rewards account. This should happen automatically.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by hytekjosh
Did you google or search? The answer to your question can be found pretty quickly.
That wasn't a very helpful response. I wouldn't have asked if I had already found a definitive answer elsewhere.

I did google extensively, and it seems the jury is still out. There are a couple anecdotes out there about folks who have closed a MR account and then been told they have 30 or 90 days to reinstate the points by opening a new MR account. Just curious if anyone here can back that up from personal experience. I'd rather not open an Everyday card to avoid that extra pull if I can.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...There are a couple anecdotes out there about folks who have closed a MR account and then been told they have 30 or 90 days to reinstate the points by opening a new MR account.
This is because they still hold a card issued by American Express, but not a card which participates in Membership Rewards. You can read the terms here to satisfy yourself that this is correct:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...F&mrk=&stoken=

If you voluntarily cancel your enrollment in the program but keep at least one American Express® Card open and in good standing, you'll have up to 30 days from the date of cancellation to use any points in your program account. If you cancel your enrollment in the program and don't keep open any American Express Cards, all points in your program account will be immediately forfeited.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by mia
This is because they still hold a card issued by American Express, but not a card which participates in Membership Rewards. You can read the terms here to satisfy yourself that this is correct:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...F&mrk=&stoken=
Thanks mia! I do have other Amex cards that will remain open. That T&C language is still a bit ambiguous, mainly whether the word "use" means we have 30 days to spend the points down or link a new MR card and make the points live again.

you'll have up to 30 days from the date of cancellation to use any points in your program account
Guess I'll just ask the rep when I call, but I think this does mean I can just open a new MR account to reinstate the points. Thanks for the link!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:56 am

Data point:
Just applied and got 10-12 day pending. Called reconsideration (# listed a few posts back) and was instantly approved after verification of information + free overnight delivery of the new card. I don't know if they can tell that we applied for the ameriprise amex vs. personal amex. I didn't get any questions about ameriprise.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:47 pm
ckr

Originally Posted by ckr
Received call from Amex this morning and was approved. I am not an Ameriprise client.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:36 am

Ameriprise AMEX PLAT a distinct product from AMEX PLAT

Applied for spouse on 4/27 as a first time AMEX Plat cardholder of any type.
Received 10-12 day notification on browser (and on email within 2 hours).
Reconsideration line (offshore) approved after confirming cardholder and additional cardholder identity (no additional questions).
Spouse is an Ameriprise client, but not relevant to approval.

Also applied same day for AMEX Gold Skymiles to take advantage of combined pulls. Received similar (14 day) hold messages.
Called reconsideration line using application number (not SSN) (didn't want first card approval to muddy this approval decision). Onshore approved the AMEX Gold SM. Asked CSR to overnight the Ameriprise AMEX Plat, who didn't have access to the record (already relinquished to Ameriprise). AMEX systems, upon approval of cards "serviced" by third parties (Ameriprise, in this case) transfers control of the approval record to Ameriprise for processing for approx 72 hours, during which AMEX systems CANNOT modify the record (including the shipping method).

Agent confirmed the fact that Ameriprise "services" this account makes it a distinct product from AMEX Platinum. While a data point only (not conclusive), this agent was extremely competent and detailed in her understanding of Ameriprise card servicing which adds to my confidence in the distinctness of Ameriprise AMEX Plat from internally-serviced AMEX Plat.

Of course won't know conclusively until minimum spend reached/statement closes.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by fauxblogger
Applied for spouse on 4/27 as a first time AMEX Plat cardholder of any type.
Received 10-12 day notification on browser (and on email within 2 hours).
Reconsideration line (offshore) approved after confirming cardholder and additional cardholder identity (no additional questions).
Spouse is an Ameriprise client, but not relevant to approval.

Also applied same day for AMEX Gold Skymiles to take advantage of combined pulls. Received similar (14 day) hold messages.
Called reconsideration line using application number (not SSN) (didn't want first card approval to muddy this approval decision). Onshore approved the AMEX Gold SM. Asked CSR to overnight the Ameriprise AMEX Plat, who didn't have access to the record (already relinquished to Ameriprise). AMEX systems, upon approval of cards "serviced" by third parties (Ameriprise, in this case) transfers control of the approval record to Ameriprise for processing for approx 72 hours, during which AMEX systems CANNOT modify the record (including the shipping method).

Agent confirmed the fact that Ameriprise "services" this account makes it a distinct product from AMEX Platinum. While a data point only (not conclusive), this agent was extremely competent and detailed in her understanding of Ameriprise card servicing which adds to my confidence in the distinctness of Ameriprise AMEX Plat from internally-serviced AMEX Plat.

Of course won't know conclusively until minimum spend reached/statement closes.
Great data points!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA DL
I just got approved without being a Ameriprise client. This is my 2nd Amex charge card approval in 2 weeks. (PRG was the other)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.