Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:46 am

when was the last time you had Pt card?

I had a straight Pt card 2 years ago and currently have MB Pt which is honestly on its last legs and will be cancelled. i'd love to jump on this deal too.

Originally Posted by vmsea
Applied. 10-12 days notice.

call reconsideration. got a super perky/friendly agent.

approved. confirmed 25K bonus (even though i've gotten amex plat bonus before), and no annual fee.

not a Amerprise client.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA DL
Applied last night and got 10-12 days notice. About 2 hours later, I got an email from Amex that they got my application. Hopefully this takes only about 1-2 days.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:35 pm

Are people just lazy to call reconsideration? lol
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by MikailSJ
Are people just lazy to call reconsideration? lol
unless you get blatantly declined i almost think it's safer not to call - that way they can't probe you on being ameriprise member directly. unless that's not an issue for you.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA DL
Originally Posted by Iridium7777
unless you get blatantly declined i almost think it's safer not to call - that way they can't probe you on being ameriprise member directly. unless that's not an issue for you.
That was my reasoning. I do not want to put myself in that situation if I don't have to. However, I will call reconsideration if I do get declined.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:12 pm

applied late last night and was approved today. however in the approval email they said they were glad to see me join American Express "again"... I hope that is in reference to my old PRG card that I canceled last year.

anybody else receive similar verbiage?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:17 pm

Doesn't the decline affect your credit score, even with reconsideration?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:27 pm

Is this a good deal for this card? Does it exclude you from the normal (non-ameriprise) platinum card sign up bonus if you've never had one?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
I called: 1-877-399-3083

I last got the regular Platinum card in 2012, cancelled Apr 2013.

Agent did not ask if i was a Amerprise client or not.. in fact didn't even mention Amerprise.
kept saying how valuable a customer i am.. (really? hahaha) super happy/upbeat.

"can you confirm i get some kind of mileage bonus"?
-Absolutely, you get 25000 miles after $3000 spend in 3 month.

"great, can you also confirm there's no annual fee for the first year, then the fee is $450 a year?"
-Yes.. that is correct

"thank you, bye!"
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
since u got platinum card before won't u be denied the bonus
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by happyvoid
This depends on whether the Ameriprise Platinum is considered to be the same product as the standard personal Platinum card. We have at least one report that it is, but not enough to be conclusive.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by mia
This depends on whether the Ameriprise Platinum is considered to be the same product as the standard personal Platinum card. We have at least one report that it is, but not enough to be conclusive.

I guess proof will be in the pudding.. the agent says i'll get it.. but we'll see once i hit spend.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: Delta Plat IHG Dia, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Global Entry, TSA ✓
Originally Posted by happyvoid
It depends,
If you had Ameriprise Amex Platinum before: Supervisor @ Amex told me I won't get annual fee waived & won't get sign-up bonus too

If you had Personal Amex Platinum before: CSA told me that since it's considered as "different" product you will receive sign-up offer & annual fee waived.

confirm it with Amex before applying though
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:25 am

i think amex considers the Ameriprise, the regular Pt and MB Pt all different products -- that's the only way this would work.

When I signed up for MB Pt I was still holding regular Pt and was able to get the signup bonus. So this may be the last shot for everyone to get a non-business Pt card that still offers some sort of bonus.

Originally Posted by vmsea
I called: 1-877-399-3083

I last got the regular Platinum card in 2012, cancelled Apr 2013.

Agent did not ask if i was a Amerprise client or not.. in fact didn't even mention Amerprise.
kept saying how valuable a customer i am.. (really? hahaha) super happy/upbeat.

"can you confirm i get some kind of mileage bonus"?
-Absolutely, you get 25000 miles after $3000 spend in 3 month.

"great, can you also confirm there's no annual fee for the first year, then the fee is $450 a year?"
-Yes.. that is correct

"thank you, bye!"
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS
Just submitted online app. Received reply that I would hear back in 10-12 days.
Hope to expedite card for travel next month. Will,post results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.