Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25-30k MR to Upgrade Business Gold to Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:04 am

Just tried to upgrade online and received an error stating no cards were avilable to upgrade.

Guess they shouldn't post an offer to upgrade on my account if I have no cards which I can upgrade
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:50 am
Used to be Colonelwes

Terpfan101, no targeted email, but we had an offer pop up for 25K to upgrade to Biz Plat on the AMX website everytime we opened our acct, but ignored it. We bit when they called offering 30K.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:40 am

Considering jumping on this offer and have two more questions.

1) How will this affect my ability to get a signup bonus for the biz platinum card in the future? I think it prevents the bonus if you've had the same card in last 12 months or gold/green in last 90 days? Or is it if you've had any of the three in the last 12 months? If the former it'd mean I'd start the clock ticking much later whereas the latter would have no impact.

2) If I upgrade and downgrade at a later point to get a prorated refund of the fee, will I still have the remainder of the first year with the BRG free?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by terpfan101
... I think it prevents the bonus if you've had the same card in last 12 months or gold/green in last 90 days?
Those are the rules for personal cards. For business cards a recent offer stated:

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product or any other Business Gold, Green or Platinum Card® within the last 12 months.
However, there is anecdotal evidence that the Business rule is not always enforced literally. See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...16-2013-a.html
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:45 am

Thanks for clarifying. I just went for the upgrade. Does anyone know how long the new card takes to arrive? IIRC my personal platinum arrived within a few days shipped UPS or FedEx. Also do I need to wait for the card to arrive and activate it before using benefits such as the airline reimbursement and global entry?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:40 am

I just got the 25K upgrade offer for Business Gold to Plat in my email today. Does this initiate a credit check? I just did a round of applications in the last month, so I don't want another hit on my report. Also, seeing reports here of Amex calling later and offering 30, is there any reason to think I could just call Amex directly and ask for a sweeter deal?

If I take Amex up on an upgrade offer, does that require a credit pull, and has anyone had success talking to a rep on the phone and getting any bigger number than the direct targeted mail (in my case, 25K on first purchase for an offer I received today to upgrade BRG to BRP)? I'm tempted by this, having just done a round of applications, but if there's a chance I'll have an offer to apply for 100,000 six months from now, then I'd surely rather hold out for that!

Last edited by mia; Jul 23, 2013 at 3:45 pm Reason: Combine cross-posted questions
Old Jul 23, 2013, 3:48 pm
mia

There is no credit inquiry when you accept an upgrade offer because there is no increased credit exposure. Green, Gold, Platinum all have the same spending ability, only the benefits and fees are different.

You would not be eligible for a new account bonus on a Business Platinum card because you already hold a Gold card.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:06 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Upgraded to Business Platinum on 7/21, made a purchase of AA GC the same day, 25K bonus points posted on 7/25. I got the Business Gold card in May and was not targeted for upgrade.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:38 am

I have an AU in my former Biz Gold card, is it automatically upgraded to Plat after the main card holder (mine) upgraded? TIA
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by kn9ght
I have an AU in my former Biz Gold card, is it automatically upgraded to Plat after the main card holder (mine) upgraded? TIA
Yes despite the T&C saying that they will not be upgraded.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There is no credit inquiry when you accept an upgrade offer because there is no increased credit exposure. Green, Gold, Platinum all have the same spending ability, only the benefits and fees are different.

You would not be eligible for a new account bonus on a Business Platinum card because you already hold a Gold card.
Is there any chance at all of getting more than 25K from the phone agent (even 30)? Doesn't hurt to ask and all that, so I will, but wondering whether to bother with hang-up-call-again if I don't get anywhere the first time. It really is right on the cusp of "worth it" with the fee. Does the annual fee get prorated and my annual cycle continues from when I got the gold card, or does the cycle "start over" so I get a full year of platinum benefits until next July before I likely downgrade?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA++
Hi all,

I did get the same 25k promotion to upgrade to biz platinum from gold in email.

Now, the annual fee is $450. Is this worth the money for the benefits we get?

Next question, if I accept it, then can I cancel it and "downgrade" back to gold later after I get the 25k?

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:35 pm
mia

Originally Posted by ssg10
... the annual fee is $450. Is this worth the money for the benefits we get?
Read here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-benefits.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...edit-card.html
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:58 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by ellaq2008
Upgraded to Business Platinum on 7/21, made a purchase of AA GC the same day, 25K bonus points posted on 7/25. I got the Business Gold card in May and was not targeted for upgrade.
Upgraded on 7/28 and received 25K bonus this morning (7/31). I got the Business Gold in May and not targeted for upgrade.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:16 am

I upgraded to the Biz Platinum card about a month ago and just sent a SM to downgrade back to my BRG card. I was in the first year of BRG card (about 4-5 months in). I assume that downgrading will result in removal of the entire annual fee for Platinum that was charged and NO charge for the BRG since I'm still in the first year. However the reply to my message says the following:

"Sure. Before we proceed with the product change, I wish to inform you of the following: 1. The annual fee for the Basic is $175.00."

Nothing about the fee being waived for the Business Gold card for the first year. So can someone clarify that it will in fact not be charged? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.