Wiki Posts
Search

25-30k MR to Upgrade Business Gold to Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by exsynner
Love the 20% bonus return on rewards redemption.
This benefit is going away. Read here, and confirm with Customer Service before agreeing to upgrade.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ay-points.html
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This benefit is going away. Read here, and confirm with Customer Service before agreeing to upgrade.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ay-points.html
I thought only the business plat was keeping it.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by ayodeji13
I got an email yesterday from AMEX saying that if I upgrade my Business Gold to a Business Plat they'll give me 25k MR points. Is it worth it?

I already have the Personal Plat.

My gut is telling me to upgrade then cancel after a year, esp since I can get the $200 airline credit on the biz plat as well. So i'm effectively paying $250 for 25k MR?

Anyways, let me know what you think.
You get the $200 credit per calendar year. So get $200 credit this year, and $200 next year. Then cancel before your AF is due.

Effective cost is $50 for 25K MR. I'd take that any day of the week for no hard pull - and did as I just took their upgrade offer.

My offer still says 20% rebate on redemptions. I'm keeping a screenshot in case they drop that benny. And if they do that as rumored, I'll demand a refund of my AF...

5. To use Pay with Points, you must charge purchase through American Express Travel to Membership Rewards program-enrolled Card. Points will be debited from Membership Rewards account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on Card account. Minimum redemption 5,000 points. Effective for Pay with Points redemptions for Consumer and Business Platinum Card members and Centurion members will receive 1 bonus point for every 5 points you redeem. To be eligible to earn bonus points, Card account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of bonus points fulfillment. Transactions charged to a Corporate Card are excluded. Bonus points will be credited to your Membership Rewards First account approximately 6–10 weeks after charges appear on your billing statement. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards First® program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-297-1300 for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice. Bonus ID: 4880.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by keirnna
I thought only the business plat was keeping it.
Perhaps, but I "think" I received a change letter pertaining to this benefit when I held a Business Platinum card. I'll scrounge through the drawer.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Used the link, had previously been targeted but the offer disappeared from my account before I had a chance to use it. Decent way to grab some points without a credit pull. Between the typically high spend requirements for business Platinum and the likelihood that my having a biz Gold might preclude bonuses for a biz Plat, I went ahead and upgraded. Trying to eventually get on a rotating personal Plat (just canceled), biz Plat, and MB Plat schedule.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:55 am

I am being offered the 25k upgrade to plat from my business gold. However I also see a 50k offer for the mercedes benz plat. Can I get both bonuses? How about the $200 airline redemption? Can it be done for 2 plat cards in the same year?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by bobby21
I am being offered the 25k upgrade to plat from my business gold. However I also see a 50k offer for the mercedes benz plat. Can I get both bonuses? How about the $200 airline redemption? Can it be done for 2 plat cards in the same year?
Yes. MB Plat is not linked to Biz gold in any way
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Perhaps, but I "think" I received a change letter pertaining to this benefit when I held a Business Platinum card. I'll scrounge through the drawer.
I just received a 25K MR Business Gold to Business Platinum offer by email, and the offer highlighted the 20% points return benefit:

Get 20% points back after you use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points to book flights, hotels, cruises, or vacation packages.
The terms mention the 20% bonus as applying to Business Platinum and Centurion members.

Business Platinum Card members and Centurion members will receive 1 bonus point for every 5 points you redeem.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:26 am
Used to be exsynner

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
I took advantage of the upgrade, and when I click on the following on Amex's website:
As a Business Platinum Card® member, you have access to over 40 benefits to help you focus on what's next for your business. Learn about them now.
I see this as one of the benefits:
20% Travel Bonus4

When you use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points to pay for all or part of your flight, prepaid hotel, vacation or cruise booking on the American Express Travel site, you'll get 20% of the points back as a credit to your account.
Book any airline, anywhere, anytime
No seat restrictions or blackout dates

with this footnote:

420% Travel Bonus
To use Pay with Points, you must charge purchase through American Express Travel to Membership Rewards® program-enrolled Card. Points will be debited from Membership Rewards® account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on Card account. Minimum redemption 5,000 points. For American Express Travel Pay with Points redemptions, Business Platinum Card members and Centurion members will receive 1 bonus point for every 5 points you redeem. To be eligible to earn bonus points, Card account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of bonus points fulfillment. Transactions charged to a Corporate Card are excluded. Bonus points will be credited to your Membership Rewards® account approximately 6-10 weeks after charges appear on your billing statement. See http://membershiprewards.com/terms for Membership Rewards® program terms and conditions. Bonus ID: 4880.

and when I called with general questions about the program, the person I spoke with mentioned this as one of the benefits.
Old May 9, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: AOPA
I upgraded online last night, how long does it take for the platinum card show up online?
Old May 9, 2013, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25
I upgraded online last night, how long does it take for the platinum card show up online?
Next day.
Old May 10, 2013, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by keirnna
Next day.
Thanks, it took them a little over 24 hrs
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
I saw the link to upgrade to Amex Biz Platinum in my account last week saying "Earn 25K now," but it disappeared. Does anyone have it in there account and can share with me? Thanks. PM is fine.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by johnnie198x
I saw the link to upgrade to Amex Biz Platinum in my account last week saying "Earn 25K now," but it disappeared. Does anyone have it in there account and can share with me? Thanks. PM is fine.
https://www262.americanexpress.com/b...lid=A00000DY1V
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
The link says you must be a basic card holder for the bonus. Does it work to give a points bonus to upgrade from Gold?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.