FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Using MR points for Southwest Air tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1288440-using-mr-points-southwest-air-tickets.html)

4aks Dec 6, 2011 8:27 pm

Using MR points for Southwest Air tickets

I wasn't aware of this , but a friend called AMEX today and a rep told him on the phone that if he used an AMEX card to purchase a Southwest Air ticket , when it appears on his statement , the system will then allow him to apply MR points towards it at a 1:1 ratio.

Does not work towards other Southwest fees (I currently have a $5 Southwest Air fee on my statement, can't use pay with points towards it)

Steve M Dec 6, 2011 8:51 pm

Perhaps believable if the 1:1 ratio is points-to-pennies. If it's points-to-dollars, then it's almost certainly 100:1, if it exists at all. No way that you can redeem MR points at anywhere close to $1 each.

mlad1101 Dec 6, 2011 9:06 pm

I believe he's referring to pay with points, you can do it with any airline ticket booked thru Amex. You get 1 cent per point or 1.25 cents per point if you have a Platinum/Centurion card.

1 cent per point isn't great redemption value.

4aks Dec 6, 2011 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101 (Post 17580322)
I believe he's referring to pay with points, you can do it with any airline ticket booked thru Amex. You get 1 cent per point or 1.25 cents per point if you have a Platinum/Centurion card.

1 cent per point isn't great redemption value.

Isn't great value , but I was surprised , being most statement credit uses of points will only value them at 0.7 cents

And Southwest flights can't be booked through AMEX travel , so this is sort of a work-around - valuable when considering how much cheaper it is to fly IAD-DEN with 2 bags on Southwest vs the other airlines

mia Dec 7, 2011 8:36 am

Originally Posted by 4aks (Post 17580493)
... most statement credit uses of points will only value them at 0.7 cents...

Pay with Points is $0.01 for Green and Gold accounts, $0.0125 for Platinum and Centurion because American Express refunds 20% of the points.

mlad1101 Dec 7, 2011 11:05 am

Originally Posted by 4aks (Post 17580493)
Isn't great value , but I was surprised , being most statement credit uses of points will only value them at 0.7 cents

And Southwest flights can't be booked through AMEX travel , so this is sort of a work-around - valuable when considering how much cheaper it is to fly IAD-DEN with 2 bags on Southwest vs the other airlines

7. Are any airlines unavailable on the American Express Travel site?

To use Pay with Points to book with Southwest Airlines, please call Membership RewardsŪ Land & Sea at 1-800-268-3205 and select option #2. If you are looking for any other airline and it is not shown in your search results on the website, please call American Express Travel at 1-800-297-2977.
https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...00d0faad94RCRD

sargenet Dec 7, 2011 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17582598)
Pay with Points is $0.01 for Green and Gold accounts, $0.0125 for Platinum and Centurion because American Express refunds 20% of the points.

Is this only for airfare? Because when I tried to book other travel...like hotels and a cruise, I wasn't getting $. 01... I was getting $.0075.

After I applied and started to use my MR points I was very disappointed! Switched over from SPG Am Ex and remember reading that I could use my MR points and transfer them to SPG and to other airlines.

Imagine my surprise when I realized I could only get 333 SPG points per 1000...and also to find out United/Continental were going away!

I need to burn through 66K MR points before I cancel in a few months. I plan to go back to my SPG card instead. I would love to be able to buy my Southwest tickets for this June now and apply my MR points but only if I get $ .01...

mia Dec 8, 2011 7:38 am

Originally Posted by sargenet (Post 17586439)
Is this only for airfare?

Green/Gold Pay with Points is generally $0.01 for airfare, less for other types of travel. ( don't know why, because lodging should be more profitable for the agency.) Some posters have reported targeted promotions which temporarily improved the return. Typically this is presented as a "discount" in the number of points per dollar.

Palaimo Dec 9, 2011 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by sargenet (Post 17586439)
Imagine my surprise when I realized I could only get 333 SPG points per 1000...and also to find out United/Continental were going away!

I made the same mistake. Signed up for PRG and thought I could convert the bonus points to SPG points (at a reasonable rate at least) - if it weren't for the 2X points on gas/groceries I wouldn't keep the card.

I'm gonna pay for the second year when the fee comes due, but I don't know if it will last must past 2 years.

sargenet Dec 10, 2011 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Palaimo (Post 17597855)
I made the same mistake. Signed up for PRG and thought I could convert the bonus points to SPG points (at a reasonable rate at least) - if it weren't for the 2X points on gas/groceries I wouldn't keep the card.

I'm gonna pay for the second year when the fee comes due, but I don't know if it will last must past 2 years.

I wasn't planning on using this for gas...as I get 5% on my Pen Fed. But what upsets me is that they told me I would not get 2% on my commissary purchases as they were not including it as "grocery stores".

My husband has a Hilton Am Ex and on that card they do give the extra points and consider commissaries as grocery stores. But not the gold card. So now all I can get is 1 pt. I was surprised that they include it as a grocery store on a Hilton Am Ex...but not a Gold Am Ex.

So back to SPG Am Ex I go nect spring. I will apply closer to my 1 year on this card in hopes I might be able to get a sign up bonus again on SPG....

mia Dec 10, 2011 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by sargenet (Post 17600527)
....they told me I would not get 2% on my commissary purchases as they were not including it as "grocery stores".

Did you make a test purchase or only ask?

sargenet Dec 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17602354)
Did you make a test purchase or only ask?

I made a purchase and when I called in to question why I only got 1 pt they said commissaries were not included. I said it was on my husband's Hilton as a bonus catergory. The rep confirmed it in the terms and conditions.