Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Network "Gift Chain"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by booyaa
not an expert by any means so not sure which date they go by? received date or mailed date or filed date?
"Furnish Copy B of this form to the recipient by..." would make it seem that it must arrive by then. Regardless, I spoke to my accountant today and he said that this will not get us off the hook; all it potentially translates into is a fine for AmEx.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Ouch. Just got my 1099's. My accountant said that it shouldn't be taxable considering you had to make a purchase to get the gift. We'll see.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DavidAL
...shouldn't be taxable considering you had to make a purchase to get the gift.
You may wish to scroll back to post #1:

Originally Posted by 4aks
*NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR RECEIVE A GIFT. ... For instructions on how to enter without purchase, gift details for each participating retailer and odds of receiving specific gifts, see the Official Rules at giftchain.amexnetwork.com.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:16 pm

Maybe so, but I did purchase items to receive the gifts. I did zero mail in entries. Got 1099's totaling a lot, so they are counting statement credits, etc. I guess it's free money so I can't complain too much, but I'm still not sure about the legalities.

My accountant wasn't 100% sure either, so I'll just let her sort it out. I've put in a call to that department of Am Ex, but just a voicemail. Hopefully I will receive a call back on Monday.

I'm assuming everyone with decent returns has gotten a 1099 also?

Last edited by DavidAL; Nov 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm
Old Feb 4, 2012, 7:08 am

We posted this on slickdeals so I thought I'd repost here in case it helps someone figure this out. We participated in the gift chain with multiple cards and AU's and kept a very detailed spreadsheet. We just got 1099's for any AU's that received over $600 on all accounts COMBINED. I don't think the account number on the 1099 points to a specific Amex account. Here is an example using my son's winnings. He is an AU on 4 totally different accounts. AND the primary is different on all the accounts! Any winnings that came through with his SSN added to his total.

Bus Gold Rew $155
Prem Rew Gold $155
Delta $192
Travelocity $137
TOTAL = $639

1099-MISC = $639
Old Feb 4, 2012, 7:44 pm

My accountant wasn't 100% sure either, so I'll just let her sort it out.
Please update us on her answer, I am very interested because my own cards all I did was purchases, like you.
Originally Posted by swstecker
We just got 1099's for any AU's that received over $600 on all accounts COMBINED. I don't think the account number on the 1099 points to a specific Amex account.
Anyone else experience this? I have spoken to a lot of people and so far no one got a "combined" 1099 (except for your son)...
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Simpleton
Please update us on her answer, I am very interested because my own cards all I did was purchases, like you.

Anyone else experience this? I have spoken to a lot of people and so far no one got a "combined" 1099 (except for your son)...
I'm confused, because the Mrs. and I both got a 1099, and they were for the exact same amount, down to the penny. The odds that both of our cards got exactly equal gifts, is slim to none. The both ended in $4.25.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:35 pm

I'm confused, because the Mrs. and I both got a 1099, and they were for the exact same amount, down to the penny. The odds that both of our cards got exactly equal gifts, is slim to none. The both ended in $4.25.
Assuming that you each did only one card (or at least only one card per email address), why don't you just add up your gifts from your Gift Chain emails? And fyi they evaluate MR at .09cpm, so 250 MR would be $2.25.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:58 pm

Assuming that you each did only one card (or at least only one card per email address), why don't you just add up your gifts from your Gift Chain emails? And fyi they evaluate MR at .09cpm, so 250 MR would be $2.25.
Easier said than done. Combined we had a lot of cards we used.

Last edited by DavidAL; Nov 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:10 pm

Easier said than done. Combined with had close to 20 cards we used.
Haha solid. For each card I did, I used the gmail period trick (simpleton "at" gmail.com for my Plat, s.impleton "at" gmail.com for my Gold, etc, and they all go to same simpleton "at" gmail.com inbox).

Last edited by Simpleton; Feb 6, 2012 at 5:01 pm Reason: Break fake email formatting (Sorry mia!)
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:56 am

Got a call back from Am Ex's tax department. They said they would open a case to look into the awarding of prizes. I told them something doesn't add up that both the Mrs. and I received the EXACT amount of prizes, down to the penny. They said they would snail mail me a copy of the breakdown of all the prizes after they complete their investigation.

I didn't beat them up about whether it was taxable or not, just because in the rules and regs it plainly states I have to pay any taxes due on the prizes. So I think I'm stuck paying the taxes, but maybe I can get the amount reduced.

Anyone else gotten through to the tax department?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:23 pm

Got a call back from Am Ex's tax department. [...]
Anyone else gotten through to the tax department?
Is this the number on the 1099s, or you got connected through AmEx CSR somehow?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:41 pm

Is this the number on the 1099s, or you got connected through AmEx CSR somehow?
It was the number on the 1099. They call me back and said they looked into it and it was off by about $400, but I told them I thought it was off by more than that. They are sending me a full item recap and a new 1099.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:30 pm

It was the number on the 1099. They call me back and said they looked into it and it was off by about $400, but I told them I thought it was off by more than that. They are sending me a full item recap and a new 1099.
Very cool. I noticed that number when it came but for some reason I had a mental block from calling it.

Thanks!

Also, supposedly they won't issue sub-$600 1099s, so if they told you already that they will send you a new one, I'd assume that you are good to file without it.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:42 am

Very cool. I noticed that number when it came but for some reason I had a mental block from calling it.

Thanks!

Also, supposedly they won't issue sub-$600 1099s, so if they told you already that they will send you a new one, I'd assume that you are good to file without it.
I'm still way above the $600 mark. They just had it inflated by $400 more than it should be. I've still gotta file with it, just have to wait for my amended 1099 to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.