Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:58 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
....read all the T&C docs but they all assume that they are essentially the only protection/plan in place other than manufacturer's stuff.
See this paragraph:

If the item is also covered by a purchased service contract, the Extended Warranty Period begins at the end of the purchased service contract and extends the original manufacturers warranty for a period of time equal to the warranty, up to two (2) additional years.
https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...ev%2007-18.pdf
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mia
Thank you! For whatever reason I had somehow pulled down a different (more abbreviated) version of the T&Cs.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Just FYI, for your washer/dryer a ie. BestBuy/Lowes extended warranty service contract is valid but specifically for computers and computer components any purchased extended service contract must be provided and administered by the original manufacturer.

So for example any computer/computer component purchase that includes a ie SquareSpace or retailer extended service contracts (non manufacturer) are not extended by AMEX.

Exclusions/Purchases NOT covered:
additional service contract or extended warranty coverage for a computer, computer component or part that You buy which already comes with an original United States of America, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands manufacturer’s and/or retailer’s warranty, unless such coverage is provided and administered by the original manufacturer;

In comparison I've read the Citi T&C's for cards that still have extended warranty coverage and there is no exclusionary clause on computers/components so I have to assume if you're gonna buy a third party service contract for your computer/component not affiliated with the manufacturer then don't use your AMEX - buy it with Citi instead (on Citi Cards that still have the benefit)
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL AA Hilton Hyatt
I recently purchased iPad pro with my gold card and I understand that you get one year of extended warranty after the first year. Also I believe it also adds one year if you purchase 2 year of apple care upfront. (2+1)

Does this also work the same way if you do the apple care subscription plan? For example if you subscribe for 16 months, would it add one year after that?
Old Oct 24, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Has anyone had any luck with American Express honoring extended warranty past the 1 year? I bought a dryer 2 years and 2 weeks ago that just stopped working. AMEX extended warranty would have lapsed on 10/7...
Old Oct 24, 2020, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by jags86
Has anyone had any luck with American Express honoring extended warranty past the 1 year? I bought a dryer 2 years and 2 weeks ago that just stopped working. AMEX extended warranty would have lapsed on 10/7...
i would say no...

dryers are usually easily fix-able fyi
Old Feb 19, 2022, 2:31 pm

Anyone have any experience or knowledge if Amex platinum warranty extension would cover a sofa? Terms seem to indicate no reason to exclude but I'm curious.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
Anyone have any experience or knowledge if Amex platinum warranty extension would cover a sofa? Terms seem to indicate no reason to exclude but I'm curious.
if terms have no exclusions then sounds like you have your answer! file a claim and see what happens!
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by antonius66
Are you sure - sofa's are under extended warranty?
I thought it applied to electronics only/
Someone clarify this? What else is covered other than electronics? Is this Amex platinum only?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by sciconf
Are you sure - sofa's are under extended warranty?
I thought it applied to electronics only/
Someone clarify this? What else is covered other than electronics? Is this Amex platinum only?
Read the terms.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:17 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Is this Amex platinum only?
No, and while there are exclusions it has never been been an electronics-only benefit. Start here to find your card(s): https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...nty-terms.html
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No, and while there are exclusions it has never been been an electronics-only benefit. Start here to find your card(s): https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...nty-terms.html
Thanks @mia - it helps.

I just randomly picked a Hilton card It just talks about "Extended Warranty" for 1 additional yr (no mare than 5yr total). Then checked for Amex platinum - it has the same wordings too.
Furniture might come with 5yr warranty - so extended warranty does not work.

Whereas Citi Costo. is only for the Electrinics and Appliances:
https://www.retailmenot.com/blog/cos...-warranty.html
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:54 pm
mia

Thanks @mia
Whereas Citi Costo. is only for the Electrinics and Appliances:
https://www.retailmenot.com/blog/cos...-warranty.html
The articles appears to describe the warranty that Costco offers on Electronics and Appliances, regardless of method of payment. Nothing to do with the Extended Warranty feature of the Costco VISA card issued by Citi.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:32 pm

Recent experiences with extended warranty claims?

Has anyone had a recent experience with an extended warranty claim ? I filed a claim last month (related to my cell phone, purchased with my Platinum Card) and a day later received a letter acknowledging the claim and asking for documentation (which was only the purchase invoice), which I promptly provided. I called later that week to ask about how long the claim should take to process and was told that they are very busy right now, so while claims are usually resolved within 10 days, I should expected to hear within 30 days. Since I still didn't hear anything else, I called again at 31 days, at which point the representative I spoke to acknowledged that it had indeed been more than 30 days since they received the requested documentation and promised to have an answer for me this week.

If anyone else has filed an extended warranty claim recently, have you had a similar experience with how long it has taken?
Old Apr 14, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by jsandler111
Has anyone had a recent experience with an extended warranty claim ? I filed a claim last month (related to my cell phone, purchased with my Platinum Card) and a day later received a letter acknowledging the claim and asking for documentation (which was only the purchase invoice), which I promptly provided. I called later that week to ask about how long the claim should take to process and was told that they are very busy right now, so while claims are usually resolved within 10 days, I should expected to hear within 30 days. Since I still didn't hear anything else, I called again at 31 days, at which point the representative I spoke to acknowledged that it had indeed been more than 30 days since they received the requested documentation and promised to have an answer for me this week.

If anyone else has filed an extended warranty claim recently, have you had a similar experience with how long it has taken?
I filed a claim about 6 months ago for an airpod pro. It took about 15 days from the filing date to receive the claim payment (credit to my Amex account). The day after filing, I received a request to provide an itemized store receipt, which I provided that same day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.