Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Amex Extended Warranty

You know, I heard about this Amex benefit years ago but figured you had to register your purchases and that it probably was more trouble than it was worth. But my brother told me just how much he's used this benefit so I thought I would give it a try.

Last Month, my Apple iPad lost the sound. It was about 6 months past the warranty expiration and Apple said it would be a flat rate of $369 for them to exchange it with a new or reconditioned iPad. I asked them for a "written repair estimate" as Amex requested. I also had to fax to Amex a copy of the original receipt, a copy of the statement showing the charge and a copy of the warranty. I faxed it all to Amex and within a day or two received an approval letter from Amex. They reimbursed me the $369.00 and applied it to my Amex card balance. Rather than get it fixed, I used the money to help pay for an upgrade to the iPad 2.

About two weeks ago, I began having trouble with my iPhone 4. I went to Apple and requested a repair estimate to send to Amex. To exchange the phone for a new or reconditioned phone, it will cost me $144.00. I filled out an online claim form for Amex last Friday and was expecting Amex to tell me to fax them the repair estimate and receipt form my iPhone like the last time. But without doing any of that, I received a letter from Amex today telling me the claim had been approved! Not only that, but rather than pay me the $149.00 for the repair, they are issuing me a credit for $210.00, the full price with taxes that I originally paid for the phone! Tomorrow, I will have Apple swap it out for a new or reconditioned iPhone 4 and then sell it on eBay. I don't need it anymore as I just bought the iPhone 4s.

So anytime you buy an electronic device, it pays to use your Amex card. It's a great card benefit that most people probably never even think of using. Between my two devices in which I submitted claims, Amex paid me a total of $579.00, enough to pay my annual fee for years!!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:09 am

Can you elaborate on which card you used to purchase these items?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:16 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
The fine print does say that it only covers devices with a US warranty, though (if you have a US-issued card, at least). Good for iDevices and other things with global warranties, not so good for my Sharp smartphone with a Japan-only warranty. That one seems to only be covered by the 90-day purchase protection.

Also, data point: I asked and my Costco AmEx is covered. I imagine that other low-level cards would also be covered.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jstn
Can you elaborate on which card you used to purchase these items?
I used the Starwood Amex card. But I believe it's a benefit for all Amex card holders. Also, in my original post, I forgot to mention that Amex doubles the manufacturer's warranty. Both my iPhone and iPad had one year warranties and went bad after one year but before the end of the second year.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Neal
I used the Starwood Amex card. But I believe it's a benefit for all Amex card holders. Also, in my original post, I forgot to mention that Amex doubles the manufacturer's warranty. Both my iPhone and iPad had one year warranties and went bad after one year but before the end of the second year.
I believe they double it only up to one additional year. For example, if manufacturer's warranty is 2 years, you get a total of 3 years (rather than 4).
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
How does this compare to Visa signatures extended warranty, which allows you to extend warranties by 2-3+ years...
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Appliances they replace?

I am going to buy a new washer/dryer this week and am thinking of using my Am Ex for both the Hilton Points and for the extended warranty (I can get SAC if I use HD, Lowes or best buys financing or 5% off at Lowes using their card but am thinking the combonation of Hilton points and the extra year warrany will more than make up for discount).

It appears that a washer/dryer warranty would be extended for a year but I noticed in the fine print that if Am Ex decides to replace the item instead of repairing it you are responsible for returning the item to Am Ex. Does this also apply to appliances????? To drop ship an appliance to Am Ex would be very costly.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I am going to buy a new washer/dryer this week and am thinking of using my Am Ex for both the Hilton Points and for the extended warranty (I can get SAC if I use HD, Lowes or best buys financing or 5% off at Lowes using their card but am thinking the combonation of Hilton points and the extra year warrany will more than make up for discount).

It appears that a washer/dryer warranty would be extended for a year but I noticed in the fine print that if Am Ex decides to replace the item instead of repairing it you are responsible for returning the item to Am Ex. Does this also apply to appliances????? To drop ship an appliance to Am Ex would be very costly.
FYi... Discover is offering 10% at home depot through shop discover website. Not sure about warranty with discover
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
You know, I heard about this Amex benefit years ago but figured you had to register your purchases and that it probably was more trouble than it was worth. But my brother told me just how much he's used this benefit so I thought I would give it a try.

Last Month, my Apple iPad lost the sound. It was about 6 months past the warranty expiration and Apple said it would be a flat rate of $369 for them to exchange it with a new or reconditioned iPad. I asked them for a "written repair estimate" as Amex requested. I also had to fax to Amex a copy of the original receipt, a copy of the statement showing the charge and a copy of the warranty. I faxed it all to Amex and within a day or two received an approval letter from Amex. They reimbursed me the $369.00 and applied it to my Amex card balance. Rather than get it fixed, I used the money to help pay for an upgrade to the iPad 2.

About two weeks ago, I began having trouble with my iPhone 4. I went to Apple and requested a repair estimate to send to Amex. To exchange the phone for a new or reconditioned phone, it will cost me $144.00. I filled out an online claim form for Amex last Friday and was expecting Amex to tell me to fax them the repair estimate and receipt form my iPhone like the last time. But without doing any of that, I received a letter from Amex today telling me the claim had been approved! Not only that, but rather than pay me the $149.00 for the repair, they are issuing me a credit for $210.00, the full price with taxes that I originally paid for the phone! Tomorrow, I will have Apple swap it out for a new or reconditioned iPhone 4 and then sell it on eBay. I don't need it anymore as I just bought the iPhone 4s.

So anytime you buy an electronic device, it pays to use your Amex card. It's a great card benefit that most people probably never even think of using. Between my two devices in which I submitted claims, Amex paid me a total of $579.00, enough to pay my annual fee for years!!
the moral of the story...Apple makes things that break frequently...
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh

They will probably let an on-site repair (IE: Sears) take place.

AMEX is very good with this program. Unless they suspect fraud, or something with high resale value to make it worth their time, they rather just issue statement credit and not hear about it again. Consumer electronics are disposable anymore.

Last edited by johndoe123; Nov 23, 2011 at 9:54 pm
Old Nov 25, 2011, 4:35 pm

What are the dollar amount caps on this? And, would AMEX extend an already extended warranty?

I recently bought a MacbookPro and bought "apple care" which extends the coverage to 3 years. Would AMEX cover this "high ticket" item, and would they extend it beyond the 3 years?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Palaimo
What are the dollar amount caps on this? And, would AMEX extend an already extended warranty?

I recently bought a MacbookPro and bought "apple care" which extends the coverage to 3 years. Would AMEX cover this "high ticket" item, and would they extend it beyond the 3 years?
Dollar cap depends on the card. I know the platinum goes to some ridiculously high value. It at least has three zeros after the value, maybe more. Look at your T&C. I'm sure you could repair it for that though.

Manufacturer's coverage is primary, but they should add a year, up to 5 years (so, you have a 4 year warranty).

more info: https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...0037b3ad94RCRD
Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:22 am

The Amex forum might have been your better bet with this question:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...stion-usa.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ct-trades.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-problems.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ty-laptop.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-extended.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...anty-work.html
Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
just a note of caution, I believe your card has to be open and active. I have had a claim on a visa not get paid because I closed the account. I always focus my warranty purchases on cards that are keepers so I don't have to worry about losing coverage if I close an account
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:37 am
In memoriam

IME, Amex only requires that you have an open Amex account, not necessarily the same account on which the charge for the item was made.

Visa and MC are not so agreeable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.