Bonus awarded based on "gross" vs "net" spending.

Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Bonus awarded based on "gross" vs "net" spending.

I have the Premier Rewards Gold, which gives a 15K point bonus for $30K annual spend.

I got my bonus last night, even though my YTD spend is just a hair under $29K.

I guess they trust that I won't ratchet down my charges so much that in the last 2 1/2 months of the year, I charge less than $1000. I wonder what would happen if I did. (Which could happen, since I might start using a different card.)
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you received your card in 2010 this may simply be a difference in the way American Express treated some transactions made in December.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
I have the Premier Rewards Gold, which gives a 15K point bonus for $30K annual spend.

I guess they trust that I won't ratchet down my charges so much that in the last 2 1/2 months of the year, I charge less than $1000. I wonder what would happen if I did. (Which could happen, since I might start using a different card.)
People have reported getting the bonus after their total spend (not discounting returns, etc) reached 30k. YMMV.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I will be spending five days in Prague in December, and the thread title made me think that I would get a bonus for using my Amex there.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
If you received your card in 2010 this may simply be a difference in the way American Express treated some transactions made in December.
I did get my card in 2010, so maybe you're right.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:30 pm
mia

...maybe you're right.
These types of inconsistencies annoy me, even if in my favor. I do not have this card, but we have others with threshold bonuses based on the calendar or account anniversary year. It's frustrating that the card issuers don't provide a running total on each statement. I keep my own records, but as the deadline approaches I ask the issuer to verify. Chase is helpful, Bank of America doesn't even understand the question .
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by mia
These types of inconsistencies annoy me, even if in my favor. I do not have this card, but we have others with threshold bonuses based on the calendar or account anniversary year. It's frustrating that the card issuers don't provide a running total on each statement. I keep my own records, but as the deadline approaches I ask the issuer to verify. Chase is helpful, Bank of America doesn't even understand the question .
Every statement I get for my SPG amex tells me how far I am to meeting the spend for SPG gold. Same company, but Amex doesn't do it on the PRG card, although I can easily go on line and check the spend to date -- I just hope that's the same number they use for deciding whether the spending requirement is met. I wonder whether it's a matter of them not wanting to highlight this benefit? Probably not -- they love when people spend money on the card, right?

Last edited by lkar; Oct 20, 2011 at 2:58 pm
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Are you sure that your total spend on the card isn't over $30k before returns, refunds and statement credits?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:01 pm

Why complain? Take the money (points) and run!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: Nada :(
Originally Posted by diljs
Why complain? Take the money (points) and run!
Best attitude in thread
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlad1101
Are you sure that your total spend on the card isn't over $30k before returns, refunds and statement credits?
So does that mean that if I buy $30K worth of refundable plane tickets, then return them, I would get another 15K points bonus?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:31 pm

Interesting item for the Bus Gold MR Card

I signed up for the one day (which ended up being like a week) 75K bus gold MR card. I was watching my charges and knew I was getting pretty close to the $10K spend threshold. Well, today, I logged into my account and saw that the 75K had posted. I checked my spending and it still showed less than $10K in spending, and that's when I realized that while I was still under for net spending, I had several things credited back over the last few months and I was over the $10k in total spending. We are only talking about $300 here, but some good food for thought on how Amex does their bonus posting and the spend requirements.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:43 pm
mia

Moderator action

I have added Mrgolfer21's report to a thread started last Autumn about this phenomenon. Title updated now that it applies to more than one type of card.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I have added Mrgolfer21's report to a thread started last Autumn about this phenomenon. Title updated now that it applies to more than one type of card.
Thank you...tried searching, but hard to find exactly what was going on.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold

I would be careful and watch those points . There have been reports that Amex has sent out notices about mistakenly awarding customers the 15k bonus, even though they were close to the actual $30k threshold but never reached the goal, it was pretty much a mistake!

I say transfer, transfer! LOL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.