Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

What are the points accelerated? (USA personal Platinum)

Old Oct 19, 11, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

hi, all:
I am looking at my MR earning breakdown today and saw some items marked as points accelerated. Does anyone know what exactly that means? I know for sure that is not the points awarded in bonus categories like airfares, because I was even awarded the accelerated points on a card that I have not used in a while.
Old Oct 20, 11, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by longmanzz View Post
hi, all:
I am looking at my MR earning breakdown today and saw some items marked as points accelerated. Does anyone know what exactly that means? I know for sure that is not the points awarded in bonus categories like airfares, because I was even awarded the accelerated points on a card that I have not used in a while.
Sounds strange in the case you describe. I've had an agent use that term when I asked for points pending to be made available immediately. Kind of like an advance, but the points were already due to me in the next cycle.

They also have "accelerated" rewards programs, which give bonus points on every purchase...but I think these are always specific "accelerated" branded cards.
Old Apr 26, 19, 6:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Several reports (yours truly included) of AMEX Platinum card MR points posting early this month. MR points earned in April posted upon April statement closing (so not the normal one month lag) and are annotated as "Platinum card points accelerated". Didn't request it, no other cards posted early. Odd.
Old Apr 26, 19, 7:03 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Note that the thread to which you replied was started in 2011.

There were some additional reports in August 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post30049898

I'd like to think that faster posting is a feature that American Express would introduce for Platinum Cardholders, but it wouldn't take them a decade to work it out.
Old Apr 26, 19, 7:05 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Note that the thread to which you replied was started in 2011.

There were some additional reports in August 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post30049898

I'd like to think that faster posting is a feature that American Express would introduce for Platinum Cardholders, but it wouldn't take them a decade to work it out.
I noticed that. That's the thread I found from Google search, lol.
Old Apr 27, 19, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Platinum Card Points Accelerated [USA]

Looking at my MR points statement I noticed a line item "Points Accelerated". When clicking the expand icon (+) it notes the points are for my April 2019 statement. Anyone else see this? Seems AMEX may be getting with the times and posting points as closing (like Chase).

Old Apr 27, 19, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
Looking at my MR points statement I noticed a line item "Points Accelerated". When clicking the expand icon (+) it notes the points are for my April 2019 statement. Anyone else see this? Seems AMEX may be getting with the times and posting points as closing (like Chase).

I have exactly the same... I was wonder about this as well...
Old Apr 27, 19, 4:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Not for my Platinum card. ETA: I haven't paid my bill yet since it's not due for another week. Not sure if that matters.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Apr 27, 19 at 10:58 pm
Old Apr 27, 19, 9:41 pm
ckr

Originally Posted by hawata View Post
I have exactly the same... I was wonder about this as well...
Same for both our primary and authorized user cards. Both posted today (4/27).
Old Apr 28, 19, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by ckr View Post
Same for both our primary and authorized user cards. Both posted today (4/27).
same thing happened to me. paid my bill thursday of last week, it posted friday and points were accelerated yesterday (saturday). paid my gold card at the same time and those points weren't accelerated.
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:04 pm

Same for me on my April Statement for my Platinum (Posted 4/26), Google brought me here also

May be a new thing for Platinum cards.
Old Apr 30, 19, 9:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Where on the website do you go to see those points? I went to the MR summary but the design is completely different for me.
Old Apr 30, 19, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Where on the website do you go to see those points? I went to the MR summary but the design is completely different for me.
Go to MR Summary/Home then from the drop down near the top select “Points Summary” and you will see the page we are all looking at. You can press the + next to each points entry for more details. This is a great page to go to for points details.
Old Apr 30, 19, 10:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Originally Posted by StudioGeek View Post

Go to MR Summary/Home then from the drop down near the top select “Points Summary” and you will see the page we are all looking at. You can press the + next to each points entry for more details. This is a great page to go to for points details.
I literally have a completely different design.
But I don't think it matters, in my case, I don't have those accelerated points.
Also, I auto pay every month a couple of days before the end of the period so all my points are still pending.

Old May 1, 19, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I also got the "points accelerated" on my Plat card. Means they posted eight days earlier than normal (April 23 rather than May 1)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: