Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX MR refusing to honor matched bonus IDs (even those already notated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:19 am

Programs: All of em...
Data point:
Received 100k points on Biz Gold card for 6608 today, and expedited as well.

Got the card in July or Aug, SM'd the bonus w/confirmation, thought I hit the spend the last week of Aug but not all of it posted, messaged in for the 100k to be expedited on Aug 29/30, but they said it wasn't all posted yet but to message back when it all posts and they'll post my 100k immediately.
It all posts Sept 8th and I message in for the 100k and they give me the "we're not showing this offer works for you, please call us".

I call, get turned down by 2 csr's.

Fire off another message, points posted this morning by a friendly CSR.

Phone reps are encouraging SM's for the points, so I would give up on the phone calls. Phone calls take longer and are proven to not be working at the moment.
YMMV. Best of luck, hope everyone gets it!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:54 am

Could you tell me what category you sent your SM too? was it membership rewards, points balance inquiry?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SameDay
Please let us know what you find out. I plan to wait the 8 weeks to make sure I followed the rules. I have the SM from Amex saying the Bonus IDs were added.
Hi SameDay, just wonder when did you send in the SM? Thanks for your help
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by NttDocomo
Hi SameDay, just wonder when did you send in the SM? Thanks for your help
Sent the SM in Mid July to request bonus ID 5985.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:45 pm

This has been reported in other threads but I feel it is important enough to warrant a new topic in MilesBuzz since this issue affects many here under various AMEX cards / bonus offers. AMEX MR is now refusing to honor bonus points that had previously been notated to accounts. They will now only honor these bumps if you were targeted, ala the imfamous Chase Sapphire extra 50K bump that was taken back.

When I called today to get the 75k bonus points applied for my personal PRG card the MR department refused to honor the 75K bonus ID that had been notated to my account on July 10. They said it was a "rep mistake" to have notated it to my account and that they would ONLY honor the bonus ID if I could prove I was targeted for the offer. Furthermore, instead of extending an olive branch, they told me I would not qualify for *any* sign up bonus since I previously had a gold card. They would not budge, so I asked for the phone number of the executive offices and was given 212 640 2000. After calling that number I was asked what I was calling about and I said it was about a credit card bonus I had been promised for meeting a minimum spend and was being refused. I was then transferred to someone who asked for more details. I told them I had signed up for a PR gold card at the end of June, heard about a (better) 75K signup bonus offer that I might qualify for, called MR on July 10 to see if I could get that bonus ID applied for my card, the MR rep had told me I qualified and my account had been notated with the bonus ID and to call back in 6-8 weeks if the points did not post after meeting the minimum spend, and now after meeting the minimum spend and calling back 6-8 weeks later MR is refusing to honor what they had promised claiming it was a "mistake". The executive office did not give me the same song and dance and immediately applied the points to my account. I would encourage anyone who is getting the run around from the MR department to call the executive office.

Last edited by HikerT; Sep 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:49 pm

i applied for the 15K bonus gold rewards card, got it, called them, got the bump to 75K applied, called back a couple of days later, dragon lady told me no way and pretty much I am lying and my account doesn't show anything. Sent the e-mail with list of events and names of people i had talked to, received a very apologetic response telling me every thing is good, they have added all the right codes to my account and after 8 weeks I will get the added 60K to bring it to 75K. Today when I checked I had 25K in there. I have no idea where that came from seeing as it is neither 15 or 75. I am trying to decide if i should reach out to them now or wait until 6-8 weeks.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:55 pm

This will only last for a day or so before everyone starts abusing the executive office number.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:08 pm

No such luck already. Just called and they said they will not be honoring any such verbal agreements that were made priorr without proof of being a targeted customer.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss
This will only last for a day or so before everyone starts abusing the executive office number.
True, just another reason to take action sooner rather than later. There's a lot of points at risk here. I had a 75 biz and a 75k personal bonus that I almost lost. Glad I saw the initial reports of this buried in other threads and called today. I suspect a lot of people are in for a rude awakening.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by scoobyalty
No such luck already. Just called and they said they will not be honoring any such verbal agreements that were made priorr without proof of being a targeted customer.
If they notated the account it's not verbal. It's there, in their notes.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
If they notated the account it's not verbal. It's there, in their notes.
Mistyped...notated.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
I have written proof via Amex electronic message.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by vxmike
I have written proof via Amex electronic message.
+1 You are golden then!

Me, I heard voice recording in background the whole conversation, as well as notation to the account - confirmed three times on the same call by the CSR (yes, asked over and over to be sure).

Waiting to see the next round as I have points in the pending area. Can anyone tell me if they are in the pending area if they will successfully drop into active at the end of the statement?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
Me too

tried calling in twice already. the verbal offer was made in their jacksonville call center, i was asked to call there but even then no luck. they asked me to prove i was targeted. i was not, so there goes.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
The 10k for 15 transactions reversal

I called on 8/10 asking for the 10K for 15 transactions. I was told I would receive the promotion, but only for 2 more months since I already had the gold card for 3 months. I was also told I had to call back 8-10 weeks after I met the criteria and they would manually post the points.

OK..so she noted my account. Then, since I am authorized contact, I asked her if she could add it to my hubby's account also. She said she added the code also.

Fast forward to recently. I was a little confused on whether the promo ran 1st-30th or on the billing date which is 9th of month. I wanted to know which dates to use for the "15 transactions" reset. The rep pulled up my husband's account and said "We can't honor that promotion because you were not targeted nor did you qualify because you got the card before 7/1 AND you got the 75K bonus". Yes the promo code was noted. She told me it was. But she was very clear and apologetic stating that I would not get the points even though the code was noted AND I had made the purchases required for bonus.

I was pretty frustrated. So I hung up and about 15 minutes later I called about MY account. This time the rep told me that they saw a bunch of notes on the account on 8/10 explaining that I could get the promo but that I was told I could only get it for 2 months. It was detailed and she told me I did need to wait 8 weeks after I made the transactions and to call in for manual credit, but I must wait 8 weeks.

Sounds like the original rep put detailed notes on my account, then when she looked at the husband's account only noted the promo code.

Last week I was assured I would at least get it on my account. I sure hope it hasn't changed since then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.