Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX MR refusing to honor matched bonus IDs (even those already notated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX MR refusing to honor matched bonus IDs (even those already notated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Just to be sure I'm understanding this thread correctly, generally speaking, people are frustrated that Amex may no longer allow folks to obtain marketing bonuses that they were, well, not actually eligible for to begin with.

Do I have that about right or am I missing something?

Regards
You have it wrong. I don't see anyone being frustrated. They may be dissapointed because they hoped for something more. What is a bit frustrating is your snide comment.

There was not one word of frustration on this thread. Just keep to yourself if your goal is cause trouble you should be banned from these threads.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: Too much flying; Lots of hotels
I thought this whole routine was part of the Amex standard procedure:

1) Create and advertise new bonus to drive application traffic;
2) Once traffic reaches sufficient level, pull the bonus page link and replace (maybe) with lesser bonus prior to advertised deadline;
3) If someone calls in within the previously advertised deadline, and begs in the proper manner, let them have the bonus...but don't make it too easy;
4) Otherwise, enjoy the added application traffic without giving away too many bonuses.

In general, I suspect most of the people around this site are used to it, but can understand why someone might view this process differently.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum; SPG Gold; UA Prem Exec; Hilton Gold
Will AMEX honor CSR committments?

I understand if AmEx decides not to make targeted bonuses available going forward or change the "best available" match (although I sure wish they wouldn't).

What I am concerned about is whether they will honor bonus bump committments they've already made. I received a bonus bump a couple months ago (Platinum) and called a few weeks ago to see if I could get a bonus bump on the Gold Card using 6661. The CSR told me that if I met a $2000 spend requirement, I'd be eligible. I met it, but when I called today, the CSR said she couldn't process it manually because I'd already received a bump. She advised me to send a secure message asking AMEX to honor it and advise that the notes in the file confirmed the particulars I'd like to think that AMEX will honor it, especially since I changed my spending to meet the requirements, but we'll see. I'll post either way as a follow-up.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
I'm calling the bluff on AMEX & Frugaltravelguy.

Let's go a little deeper here ...
If you are claiming the FTG is doing it to steer people to his referral offer I'm not buying it. Rick will be the first to let you know if there's a better deal out there than using his referral links. He does that regularly. Having met him, my impression is that he does what he does as a way of giving something back to the community, and if he can get some referrals out of it at the same time, all the power to him. He's certainly not trying to steer you to an inferior deal than you can get on your own, and tells you when there's better deals out there than his referral links. Here's a recent and perfect example of that.

He's got some data points from both personal experience and some readers, and that's how he posted it. Sure, YMMV, but that's always the way it is. You should always do your own homework. That's what savy FTers do.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 23, 2011 at 7:06 pm
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I just called MR, as I got bonus codes added on my accounts a few weeks ago. I met the min spend a statement closed recently, so I called to see what's up. The CSR said offers are only for targeted people, but since my account was notated that they would honor the IDs. But I'd need to wait the 6-8 weeks for the points to post, and he put me on hold to calculate roughly when I should see the points.

So the waiting game begins...
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:35 pm

Let's go a little deeper here - Rick/ftg just got a new offer to post a new Amex Biz Gold card with a 50k bonus after spending $10k in 5 months and him and all the other bloggers that get referrals are trying to pass it off as a good deal.... take a look at his post today on his site:
"Some of us may have lost a few MR points with the tightening of bumping the bonus, but these two cards look like a chance to get some of those bonuses back. "

It's like.. are you kidding me?
He got ONE email from a reader who was told by AMEX they weren't honoring codes anymore and his wouldn't be honored, and posted it like it was now fact. Even if that's not what he meant, it's what all the readers are reading into. Now he's using that 1 data point, of 100's (thousands?), to try and convince people that the $10k card is a good deal, when we all know it's not that great of a deal...

Maybe the guy called AMEX instead of MR?
Did OP call MR or call AMEX? There's ways to do this, and people are still reporting success in the AMEX PRG personal/biz card threads on Milesbuzz to get the bonus.

There were people in the original milesbuzz threads that were having issues with codes MONTHS ago and weeks ago. Same with the Platinum 100k, but it doesn't mean other people won't get it to work.
Let's not create a big worry for something that really is not proved to be happening.

Y
M
M
V
(yes, actually)
+1. Rick has see been going pretty crazy trying to get miles/referrals lately, so this wouldn't surprise me. Just look at his reaction on Million Miles blog and you'll see.

FYI, I just got the 6661 code applied to both mine and my wife's account about three minutes ago. Applied beginning of this month but just got my card (she got hers a couple weeks back). Need to meet the minimum spend and then call back.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:08 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by leftpinky
+1. Rick has see been going pretty crazy trying to get miles/referrals lately, so this wouldn't surprise me. Just look at his reaction on Million Miles blog and you'll see.

FYI, I just got the 6661 code applied to both mine and my wife's account about three minutes ago. Applied beginning of this month but just got my card (she got hers a couple weeks back). Need to meet the minimum spend and then call back.
So glad you got your code applied. Now lets see if you get the points actually posted? I wish you all luck with your past entered bonus codes. I do it myself. I want you to win. Thats why I spend hours a day answering emails full of questions and comments.

I'm passing on what I'm hearing from readers and the emails, and comments continue to come in that Amex is cracking down on installing codes to your cards. Don't look any further than this thread for additional confirmation.
Best of luck to us all.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by FlyerDad
I understand if AmEx decides not to make targeted bonuses available going forward or change the "best available" match (although I sure wish they wouldn't).

What I am concerned about is whether they will honor bonus bump committments they've already made. I received a bonus bump a couple months ago (Platinum) and called a few weeks ago to see if I could get a bonus bump on the Gold Card using 6661. The CSR told me that if I met a $2000 spend requirement, I'd be eligible. I met it, but when I called today, the CSR said she couldn't process it manually because I'd already received a bump. She advised me to send a secure message asking AMEX to honor it and advise that the notes in the file confirmed the particulars I'd like to think that AMEX will honor it, especially since I changed my spending to meet the requirements, but we'll see. I'll post either way as a follow-up.
Good luck. I have a feeling that those with accounts notated will be ok. As I mentioned, I got the distinct feeling last week on my platinum bump that they were searching for a way to tell me no, but I ultimately prevailed after multiple calls. One of the problems was that a note in my account early on was not that specific -- it just referred to the bonus id and perhaps not the commitment to honor it.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Angry becarefull everyone

it seems that many who are adding a bunch of codes are getting hit with the dreaded "financial review" from AMEX.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...on-merged.html

Everyone keep in mind that "pigs get fat" and "hogs get slaughtered"! Get all the points you can but be ready for the hammer as well!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG plat ambassador
no dice, multiple attempts failed for the bump to 75k on an approved PRG app. YMMV. Am actually glad FTG spoke up about this, unlike some of his peers who give the impression it is business as usual.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:10 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by dodger 1k
no dice, multiple attempts failed for the bump to 75k on an approved PRG app. YMMV. Am actually glad FTG spoke up about this, unlike some of his peers who give the impression it is business as usual.
I don't think other bloggers were mum to deceive anybody, they just had not been tipped off yet. I had a very trustworthy source and spread the information as he passed it on. I hope every body gets their previously committed bonus codes, but for sure YMMV with this one.

BTW leftpinky and x712, I posted just ONE email but was getting constant confirmation from many the game was changing.

Last edited by ingy; Aug 25, 2011 at 5:18 am
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
I know from experience that they are not honoring codes that were added. I spoke to someone at length yesterday about the code on my husband's account for 10K for 15 transactions...(Code 6664)

At first I called and had it added to my account on 8/11. After the rep added it to mine, I asked him to add it to my husbands (I am authorized on his account). I then provided him with husband's account info and he added it there also.

The rep explained to me on 8/11 that I could only get the promo for 2 more months (since I had the card for 3 months already). So the most I could earn was 20K. He also explained on 8/11 that I would need to call in AFTER the 15 transactions were made, as the credit would have to be done manually. He stressed he was making an exception and that the system would not do this automatically.

So after 15 transactions on both my account and my husband's I made the call in for the manual credit. I called on my husband's account first....

The rep said she saw a note of "promo 6664" but said that I did not qualify for this promotion since I got my card before 7/1. I did not meet the terms and conditions. She said the rep I spoke to only noted the promo code, but she would not honor the code since I did not qualify. I asked if he had noted all that we had discussed and she said no...just the code. She refused to offer the promo and then proceeded to remind me of the fact that the account just got 75K for a bump, 10K for Insite and 20K for 2 additional users.

It was a good call...meaning I didn't get ugly or pushy. I then thanked her and ended the call.

Next call was on my account. Sure enough...he noted MY account in detail. He clearly stated that he explained to me that he would honor code and that I would get 10K for 15 transactions. So the rep said he saw where the account was noted and that I made the 15. But he did say I needed to wait 8 weeks and call back and then they would give me the 10K.

So it seems if codes are just "noted" they might not get honored. But if the rep provided notes on the account then they will honor. I guess my rep on 8/11 noted my account in detail and just noted the code on my husband's account. So my husband's account was denied the promo.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: Amex PRG, United Mileage Plus Explorer, Chase Sapphire Preferred
So, are there any codes out there to sign up additional cardholders? I want to add my wife to the account...waiting for some promotion. Do these promotions come often?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:23 pm

This has not been my experience I still got the 6661 PRG bump to 75k two days ago and I did it over SM not by phone. Note by the time I SM'd, I had already hit the spend req. I see the points online as pending.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:11 pm

Let's go a little deeper here - Rick/ftg just got a new offer to post a new Amex Biz Gold card with a 50k bonus after spending $10k in 5 months and him and all the other bloggers that get referrals are trying to pass it off as a good deal.... take a look at his post today on his site:
"Some of us may have lost a few MR points with the tightening of bumping the bonus, but these two cards look like a chance to get some of those bonuses back. "

It's like.. are you kidding me?
He got ONE email from a reader who was told by AMEX they weren't honoring codes anymore and his wouldn't be honored, and posted it like it was now fact. Even if that's not what he meant, it's what all the readers are reading into. Now he's using that 1 data point, of 100's (thousands?), to try and convince people that the $10k card is a good deal, when we all know it's not that great of a deal...

Maybe the guy called AMEX instead of MR?
Did OP call MR or call AMEX? There's ways to do this, and people are still reporting success in the AMEX PRG personal/biz card threads on Milesbuzz to get the bonus.

There were people in the original milesbuzz threads that were having issues with codes MONTHS ago and weeks ago. Same with the Platinum 100k, but it doesn't mean other people won't get it to work.
Let's not create a big worry for something that really is not proved to be happening.

Y
M
M
V
(yes, actually)
I agree with bloggers pushing referrals but Amex is really cracking down on codes. MR Reps told me so. I would not be so cavalier in calling and emailing too because every call you made, they notate and you don't want them to get a "file" on you as "guy who only calls in for points. I would let things calm down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.