Wiki Posts
Search

Use MR points for hotel stays

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2011, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver
Use MR points for hotel stays

I'm trying to book Holiday Inn Lake George Turf for 9/30 to 10/1. I see a couple options:

1. book via their website, I see total after tax around 163$.
2. book via IHG Friend and Family Rate, I see total 138.49$
3. transfer 25K MR points to PC club for one reward night
4. Use "pay with points" on MR site, that requires about 21K points.
5. Buy a $50 hotel gift card using 60K points (they don't have PC club gift card, but that's generally the rate I see)

So seems it's a terrible value to book hotel using MR points? as various options give way less than 1 cpm

So, is it true that it's generally bad value to book hotels using MR points or am I missing anything here? Would you expect to achieve 1cpm using MR points for hotels?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
Originally Posted by allanfan
I'm trying to book Holiday Inn Lake George Turf for 9/30 to 10/1. I see a couple options:

1. book via their website, I see total after tax around 163$.
2. book via IHG Friend and Family Rate, I see total 138.49$
3. transfer 25K MR points to PC club for one reward night
4. Use "pay with points" on MR site, that requires about 21K points.
5. Buy a $50 hotel gift card using 60K points (they don't have PC club gift card, but that's generally the rate I see)

So seems it's a terrible value to book hotel using MR points? as various options give way less than 1 cpm

So, is it true that it's generally bad value to book hotels using MR points or am I missing anything here? Would you expect to achieve 1cpm using MR points for hotels?
i think the value comes from moving MR points to whatever hotel program your using..

i definetly wouldn't use the pay with points option....either move the MR to Priority or just pay cash..or move how ever many MR points to delta to get 22k skymiles and get the 2 $100 amex gift cards(only if you have a delta amex).
Old Aug 31, 2011, 1:21 am

To book a reward night through the Holiday Inn sight you only need to transfer 17000 MR points as 2 MR points are worth 3 PC points, so appears the best option.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by George8052
To book a reward night through the Holiday Inn sight you only need to transfer 17000 MR points as 2 MR points are worth 3 PC points, so appears the best option.
where do you see 2MR to 3PC? I couldn't find that in either MR or PC website.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...2 MR points are worth 3 PC points, so appears the best option.
This is not accurate for the USA version of Membership Rewards. The rate is 1000:1000

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...readcrumb=true

1,000 Priority Club® Points =
1,000 Membership Rewards Points
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Do you need to use the points, or are you just hoping to save a little money? If you travel regularly or take annual vacations, you could probably get more value out of the points by using them later. $138 isn't a whole lot of money and I'd just pay it. You could easily get 2+ cents per point redemption using by transferring to miles and booking air. Even transferring to hotel programs could be better by using the points for higher rate rooms.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roknroll
Do you need to use the points, or are you just hoping to save a little money? If you travel regularly or take annual vacations, you could probably get more value out of the points by using them later. $138 isn't a whole lot of money and I'd just pay it. You could easily get 2+ cents per point redemption using by transferring to miles and booking air. Even transferring to hotel programs could be better by using the points for higher rate rooms.
yes, i'm not going to redeem for less than 1cpm. Just surprised to find MR points are so bad value when redeeming for hotels.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
If you use pay with points, they are a bad value for hotels. Even pay with points for airfare is a bad value at 1 cpm. The reason the points transfer to hotel program was such a bad value was because you wanted to use it for a very low rate. You might be able to find another hotel that only requires 25k points per night, but the room rate is $400.

For example MR transfers to hilton at 1:1.5 so transfering 25k MR points gets 37.5k points which can be redeemed for a category 7 room (if you have status). Those rooms could easily be $400+ a night.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:27 pm

It maybe 3 PC points for 2 MR for the UK only then. I have just transferred 15000 MR points and received 22500 in my PC account.

Priority Club® Points Transfer
2 Membership Rewards points is equal to 3 points

A minimum of 100 points can be transferred to this Partner

Overview
Priority Club® Rewards opens up over 4,300 worldwide locations with some of the world's most prestigious hotel brands, including InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels and Resorts, Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn® Hotels and Resorts, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites® and Candlewood Suites®.

Priority Club
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It maybe 3 PC points for 2 MR for the UK only
Correct. Every version of Membership Rewards has its own set of transfer partners and and redemption rates. In this instance the redemption rate difference roughly reflects the UK/USA exchange rate, but there is no consistency on this practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.