Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetblue Amex minimum payment due increased

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Jetblue Amex minimum payment due increased

I really love this card but they have just increased my minmal payment due.

I called and "threatened" to cancel because I can't afford to pay their increase and my first year anniversary is coming up(October).... the rep caught me off guard and said ok I'll cancel

I became flustered and said uh I'll call back... I have to discuss this with my husband first.

Is there anything I can do or say to get around this increase? Can i get another Amex card with no annual fee?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Not trying to be a jerk here, but if you're only making the minimum payments on your card you really really need to re-evaluate your financial plan. Just making minimum payments on your CC is one of the worst things you can do.

How much did they increase it by?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by foureyedscorpion
Can i get another Amex card with no annual fee?
Probably, but the change in the minimum payment likely applies to all American Express credit cards. This page shows the cards with no annual fee:

http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...s/no-fee-cards

However, if you are carrying a balance the annual fee is only a small part of the problem. If your credit score is adequate you need to find a card with no rewards, a much lower APR, and a balance transfer offer. Most likely you will find the lowest APR at a credit union. This situation ir really outside the scope of Flyertalk. I suggest you look at http://creditboards.com for advice.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jandersinc
Not trying to be a jerk here, but if you're only making the minimum payments on your card you really really need to re-evaluate your financial plan. Just making minimum payments on your CC is one of the worst things you can do.

How much did they increase it by?
I wasn't making the minimal payment. I make frequent payments throughout the month with all my cards and when the bill is actually due i pay over the amount.

Currently I have a $102 balance and my minimal payment due is 35.

The rep told me (not in so many words) that from looking at my payment history I shouldn't have a problem paying so why am i complaining.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:51 am
mia

I wasn't making the minimal payment.
Please start over and explain what change has been made and why it is a problem, because reading both of your posts it's apparent that we do not accurately understand the situation.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Probably, but the change in the minimum payment likely applies to all American Express credit cards. This page shows the cards with no annual fee:

http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...s/no-fee-cards

However, if you are carrying a balance the annual fee is only a small part of the problem. If your credit score is adequate you need to find a card with no rewards, a much lower APR, and a balance transfer offer. Most likely you will find the lowest APR at a credit union. This situation ir really outside the scope of Flyertalk. I suggest you look at http://creditboards.com for advice.
Thanks. I'm just so pissed off because i was planning to use this card to help my sister with her son's college fees so I can get the Jetblue miles.

Discover did this same nonsense to me last year . I didn't cancel the card because I had it since the 90's ...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Please start over and explain what change has been made and why it is a problem, because reading both of your posts it's apparent that we do not accurately understand the situation.
Sorry for the confusion.

Amex modified their minimum payment due requirements

Although prior to this change I was paying more than the minimum amount due.... I simply can not afford to pay their increase.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:06 am
mia

Do you mean you cannot pay $35, or that you would not be able to make the minimum payment after charging your nephew's university fees? I assume your sister will be reimbursing you for those expenses.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere

I called and "threatened" to cancel because I can't afford to pay their increase and my first year anniversary is coming up(October).... the rep caught me off guard and said ok I'll cancel

I became flustered and said uh I'll call back... I have to discuss this with my husband first.

Is there anything I can do or say to get around this increase? Can i get another Amex card with no annual fee?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry, but if you can't make the new minimum payment on your card, which you've only had a year, perhaps you shouldn't have it at all.

These rules are put into effect to ensure people aren't in debt for the rest of their lives because they only make minimum payments.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:21 am

I wasn't making the minimal payment. I make frequent payments throughout the month with all my cards and when the bill is actually due i pay over the amount.

The rep told me (not in so many words) that from looking at my payment history I shouldn't have a problem paying so why am i complaining.
Sorry for the confusion.

Amex modified their minimum payment due requirements

Although prior to this change I was paying more than the minimum amount due.... I simply can not afford to pay their increase.
You really shouldn't be using any credit card if you can't afford an increase in a $35 minimum monthly payment.

Have you looked at the bottom of the statement where it shows how much the carried balance will cost you and how long it will take to pay off if you keep making minimum payments?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean you cannot pay $35, or that you would not be able to make the minimum payment after charging your nephew's university fees? I assume your sister will be reimbursing you for those expenses.
I can pay the 35 but yes after making large purchases/charges that minimum payment due will become a hardship.

I guess the only way of escaping these new changes is to cut up my credit cards

I just rely on them heavily for obtaining miles....
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:27 am

It's really not my business, but you really need to reconsider helping with the college tuition.

Those miles you're getting are going to cost you a fortune after paying interest, particularly on large charges.

That free vacation you think you're getting really isn't free. Add up all your interest charges for the year to see how much that Jet Blue ticket really is costing you.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:43 am
mia

I can pay the 35 but yes after making large purchases/charges that minimum payment due will become a hardship.
What is the new minimum payment requirement? I assume it is X% of the balance, but not less than $35. If that's accurate, what is X? How much will the university payment be?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
What is the new minimum payment requirement? I assume it is X% of the balance, but not less than $35. If that's accurate, what is X? How much will the university payment be?
I promised almost 2 thousand to my sister.... that was before these new CC changes of course.

I just got off the phone with Amex and was told that my interest rate remains the same the minimum amount due will be changed from $20 to the $35 each month depending on the balance. blah blah..........

They also gave me 2000 points and a $10 credit to keep the card open.

I will only use this card when i'm sure i'll be able to pay off the balance in full prior to receiving a billing statement

Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:32 am
mia

...the minimum amount due will be changed from $20 to the $35 each month depending on the balance. blah blah..........
Unfortunately, it's the "blah,blah" part which contains the information we would need to help you calculate your required payment on a larger balance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.