Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: krazykanuck
Existing Benz Platinum cards will be converted to regular Platinum cards on Jan. 11, 2019 per a letter sent to all cardholders.

The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in purchases in the first three months
$550 Annual Fee, not waived

https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/partner/preacq/mbz/mbz-019/carddetails#/cshop
__________________________________________________ _____________

[EXPIRED]75K special offer:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16580

See published restrictions below. #1 is enforced. #2 is not:
  1. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  2. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:00 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by anchor79
Can I open the personal plat now to earn bonus then close the MB card before Jan 2019?
Before it was safer to apply the regular Plat CC first, then the co-branded Plat CC. The plain Plat card normally carries higher bonus. But you can certainly try to apply.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by roberta_h
amex emailed me an online survey about this card today -- had a few questions about how i would be impacted if the card went away (and also asked about this card compared to whichever non-amex i use the most)

my annual fee posted last statement so i went ahead and applied for a new regular plat and will cancel this one soon...
Any Update now as to if you received the Personal Plat Sign up Bonus? Did you use standard application link / offer off of website?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM
yeah, i posted it up thread but i got the 60,000 points sign up bonus on the regular personal plat -- the points posted the day after i crossed the $5000 spend

and yes, i just signed up through the standard public offer/link on the website

i cancelled my MB plat once i received the new regular plat, it was within a month of the annual fee posting and the fee was refunded no problem
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Can the mb plat be converted to the prg card? Thanks!

EDIT: just realized if I downgraded then I would be ineligible for any bonus on the gold card.

Im thinking to apply for both vanilla plat and gold on same day, and then cancel the mb plat before Jan 10.

Last edited by thefiverivers; Nov 7, 2018 at 2:18 am
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
So I just applied for the gold card, and was Approved with the 50k/2k offer. I’m going to wait on the platinum in hopes of a better offer than 60k or if I can get the 75k offer to come up. Otherwise will try for it at the end of December.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:50 pm

Started to get the 75k offer while browsing incognito, and wanted to know if anyone who has/had the MB plat, has applied for the vanilla platinum and received the SUB?

My plan is to apply for the vanilla plat and cancel the MB after approval (I wonder if they will offer any retention bonus?)

Thanks!

EDIT: Also saw this on the FAQ page: "If you do not wish to receive your new Card, you must reject the change by calling us at 1-855-865-1451, or by calling us collect at 1-336-291-1361, no later than 5:00pm Eastern time on January 10, 2019. If you cancel, you won’t be able to use your Card Account for new transactions and you’ll forfeit any rewards. In addition, cancelling your Card will result in a prorated credit for any Annual Membership Fee paid in the last year."

Does the "rewards" refer to the MB certificate and lease miles, or MRs that I received when I first applied for the MB card?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by thefiverivers
....If you cancel, you won’t be able to use your Card Account for new transactions and you’ll forfeit any rewards. In addition, cancelling your Card will result in a prorated credit for any Annual Membership Fee paid in the last year."...
I read this to mean that declining the replacement card immediately closes your Mercedes Benz Platinum account, and your Membership Rewards balance may, or may not, also expire depending on the other American Express cards that you hold.

Read here, in particular the Forfeiting Points tab:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...v=footer-tandc
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I read this to mean that declining the replacement card immediately closes your Mercedes Benz Platinum account, and your Membership Rewards balance may, or may not, also expire depending on the other American Express cards that you hold.

Read here, in particular the Forfeiting Points tab:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...v=footer-tandc
Hi, thanks for the info and the link. I recently just signed up for the Amex Gold so i do have another MR earning card. But this section is worrying:

"If you voluntarily cancel your enrollment in the program (or if you are an Additional Business Card Member with your own separate program account and the Basic Business Card Member voluntarily cancels his/her enrollment in the program), but you keep at least one American Express® Card open and is not past due or canceled, you'll have up to 30 days from the date of cancellation to use any points in your program account."
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by thefiverivers
....this section is worrying:
If you have another card that participates in Membership Rewards, and it is linked to the same rewards account (which is normal), you are not cancelling your enrollment in the program, you are simply closing a card account.
thefiverivers likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
I decided to bite the bullet and apply for a regular Platinum card with a 75K offer before my MB Amex gets converted to a regular Plat and denies me a bonus forever. Anyone else doing the same?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by expressboy
I decided to bite the bullet and apply for a regular Platinum card with a 75K offer before my MB Amex gets converted to a regular Plat and denies me a bonus forever. Anyone else doing the same?
Yeah I just did the same about a week ago. Going to cancel my mb plat at the end of the month. Just finished msr on gold too.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:44 pm

I just got off the phone with Amex and I'm slightly confused. I had the MB Plat only. I applied for the regular Plat last month to get the 75k bonus before I was automatically converted. I just called to cancel the MB Plat and he said I did not need to do that and just wait until it got switched over. Then I could cancel it and get some of the Annual Fee back according to him. That's nice, but I'm worried about not getting the bonus if this happens. Do you think that will be an issue if I wait to cancel?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:09 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by krogers34
I just got off the phone with Amex and I'm slightly confused. I had the MB Plat only. I applied for the regular Plat last month to get the 75k bonus before I was automatically converted. I just called to cancel the MB Plat and he said I did not need to do that and just wait until it got switched over. Then I could cancel it and get some of the Annual Fee back according to him. That's nice, but I'm worried about not getting the bonus if this happens. Do you think that will be an issue if I wait to cancel?
Your current welcome bonus (if any) is already attached to your new card. So the existing MB card has nothing to do with it.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:50 pm

Just cancelled my MB platinum and wanted to know how long it took for others to receive the prorated refund for the annual fee? Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:00 pm

Looks like I can't access my MR points summary. Getting error LA01-101 on the summary page, which just started after I got my cancellation email for the MB plat. I do have the gold and regular plat which I got in past month and half. I'm just going to wait and see what happens. Account page is still showing my total balance .

Last edited by thefiverivers; Dec 22, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.