Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: krazykanuck
Existing Benz Platinum cards will be converted to regular Platinum cards on Jan. 11, 2019 per a letter sent to all cardholders.

The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in purchases in the first three months
$550 Annual Fee, not waived

https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/partner/preacq/mbz/mbz-019/carddetails#/cshop
__________________________________________________ _____________

[EXPIRED]75K special offer:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16580

See published restrictions below. #1 is enforced. #2 is not:
  1. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  2. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:11 pm

She confirmed on chat when she got the card about eligibility/spend and we have the transcripts saved which have been forwarded to AMEX. I received the same cards at the same times and hit the spend at the same times and had no problem getting the bonuses immediately. The random enforcement is my main beef. Just letting people know.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:54 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by lemon123
She confirmed on chat when she got the card about eligibility/spend and we have the transcripts saved which have been forwarded to AMEX. I received the same cards at the same times and hit the spend at the same times and had no problem getting the bonuses immediately. The random enforcement is my main beef. Just letting people know.
It is not random enforcement. It is systemic change. The AmEx CSR did not do it, it is the computer. The AmEx RATS team may have alerted the system people to flag this.

This is why I do not trust any AmEx CC offers which some claim do not have the "life time" language there. The "life time' is an AmEx blanket policy, whether or not it is stated.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
...The "life time' is an AmEx blanket policy, whether or not it is stated.
No it is not. We have scores of reports confirming that targeted offers without the exclusion language are eligible for a bonus.

The issue in this example is the wording of the terms of this particular card, which is different from other cards, and the maddening inability of customer service to interpret the terms. There is no benefit to asking customer service if you qualify for a bonus. They can tell you if there is one associated with your application, but they do not have the authority to judge if you are eligible for it.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Has anyone recently applied for the Charles Schwab version after having the MB Platinum and had the sign up bonus post?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
No it is not. We have scores of reports confirming that targeted offers without the exclusion language are eligible for a bonus.

The issue in this example is the wording of the terms of this particular card, which is different from other cards, and the maddening inability of customer service to interpret the terms. There is no benefit to asking customer service if you qualify for a bonus. They can tell you if there is one associated with your application, but they do not have the authority to judge if you are eligible for it.
You can believe your belief. But I do not trust it. We differed on this several times.
I do not want to spend $5,000 and get nothing....

We also differed on your 2nd part. When I opened my MB card (already had the plain Plat card), I asked AmEx to check my SUB. The CSR checked it and said there was nothing preventing me from getting the SUB. So I made the spend and received the 60k MR two days after. The CSR certainly knows if you qualify for SUB or not.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:54 am
mia

You can believe your belief. But I do not trust it. .....
I am not trying to change your opinion, only to make sure others know that there is another viewpoint. I base my conclusions on:

1. Reading American Express card offers, finding that the terms of targeted offers are often different from public offers, and not all public offers are identical.
  2. Reading reports from others who have been denied bonuses, -or- have received bonuses when using targeted offers, to understand the circumstances.
  3. Personal experience.

My most recent personal experience is responding to a targeted offer for Premier Rewards Gold, a card I have held before. The terms did not include the previous cardholder exclusion. I completed the spend on Saturday, and 50,000 bonus points are in my Membership Rewards account this morning. I had no contact with American Express customer service at any time. My conclusion remains that the once-in-a-lifetime restriction does not apply to an offer, unless it appears in the terms or on screen during the application process. There is no substitute for reading the terms of the individual offer.
mhdena likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jul 25, 2018 at 8:29 am
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
I am not trying to change your opinion, only to make sure others know that there is another viewpoint....
This certainly can be true. But there are still so many good SUBs out there. I do not want to mess with all this. If I open a new card and find that I won't qualify for SUB, not much is lost. But if I spend $5,000 and get nothing, then I'm not happy.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:41 am

Since this card is ending, I'm wondering if I should pay the AF and see what happens in January. The AF should be posting shortly. What do people think will happen once this card ends? Will it continue to be offered for those who have it? Any comments appreciated.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:48 am
mia

Originally Posted by lronglien
.... Will it continue to be offered for those who have it? ....
The original announcement, in March, mentioned that the Mercedes cards would be converted to other types. I expect the charge card will be converted to the standard Platinum card. The credit card could be converted to Everyday Preferred.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
The original announcement, in March, mentioned that the Mercedes cards would be converted to other types. I expect the charge card will be converted to the standard Platinum card. The credit card could be converted to Everyday Preferred.
I plan to hit the exit button right after the AF posts. A good ride so far.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Nicksta
Has anyone recently applied for the Charles Schwab version after having the MB Platinum and had the sign up bonus post?
not the schwab version, but i opened a regular plat and cancelled my MB plat after the annual fee posted in july -- i just crossed the $5000 spend earlier this week and my sign up bonus points posted the following day (as far as I can tell I signed up through a public offer for 60,000 points after $5000 in 3 months; the terms included the line: 'Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card')
Nicksta likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:57 pm

Is it too late to sign up for personal platinum card for existing MB Amex Plat charge card holders?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anchor79
Is it too late to sign up for personal platinum card for existing MB Amex Plat charge card holders?
Not late. The change won't take into effect until Jan-2019. You can always reject the terms of the new cards and get the MB card closed.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:03 pm

Will I lose MR points if I close my MB card before 1/11/2019 to get the prorated annual fee back? The FAQ page makes it sound like we forfeit MR points if we close Mb platinum card.

I still have have other Amex cards that earn MR points (everyday and blue business plus)....
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:23 pm

Not late. The change won't take into effect until Jan-2019. You can always reject the terms of the new cards and get the MB card closed.
Can I open the personal plat now to earn bonus then close the MB card before Jan 2019?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.