Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 16, 19, 4:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: krazykanuck
Wiki Link
Existing Benz Platinum cards will be converted to regular Platinum cards on Jan. 11, 2019 per a letter sent to all cardholders.

The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in purchases in the first three months
$550 Annual Fee, not waived

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...details#/cshop
__________________________________________________ _____________

[EXPIRED]75K special offer:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16580

See published restrictions below. #1 is enforced. #2 is not:
  1. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  2. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 5, 18, 7:16 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Make sure that you qualify. Call or chat the CSR.
And ask what exactly? If the offer is attached? If I qualify for the bonus? How did your personal experience go?

I feel like if I just spit out "check declined acquisition", they will not know what I am talking about. I don't even know the context surrounding that phrase.
Old Jun 5, 18, 7:35 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by booyaa View Post
And ask what exactly? If the offer is attached? If I qualify for the bonus? How did your personal experience go?

I feel like if I just spit out "check declined acquisition", they will not know what I am talking about. I don't even know the context surrounding that phrase.
You ask, what SUB offer is with this new card? If yes, if you are eligible.

AmEx has "lifetime" clause with many of its card offerings. Some say the "lifetime" is 7-year. But it is not certain. Its computer system can decide if you are eligible.
Old Jun 5, 18, 8:37 pm

You ask, what SUB offer is with this new card? If yes, if you are eligible.

AmEx has "lifetime" clause with many of its card offerings. Some say the "lifetime" is 7-year. But it is not certain. Its computer system can decide if you are eligible.
For giggles, I called and asked those two questions. And as I expected, once she cited the SUB and I asked if I am eligible, she just kind of gave a "um, yes, that's the offer on the card" answer. I would think most would assume that if the SUB is on the account, the person is eligible instead of two separate clauses. Other than the lifetime clause, which I know I have not had the MB before, although there is also the "This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express" clause but reports are that clause is not being enforced assuming that's referring to the vanilla version. The rep did say she'd look into why SUB wasn't credited, but after 30 min hold the line disconnected...
Old Jun 5, 18, 8:50 pm
Suspended

For giggles, I called and asked those two questions. And as I expected, once she cited the SUB and I asked if I am eligible, she just kind of gave a "um, yes, that's the offer on the card" answer. I would think most would assume that if the SUB is on the account, the person is eligible instead of two separate clauses. Other than the lifetime clause, which I know I have not had the MB before, although there is also the "This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express" clause but reports are that clause is not being enforced assuming that's referring to the vanilla version. The rep did say she'd look into why SUB wasn't credited, but after 30 min hold the line disconnected...
My 60k MRs were credited one day after meeting the initial spending. I would not want to mess up with this bonus. I guess some of your spending may not qualify. Ask them again. Or add more spending. Good luck.
Old Jun 5, 18, 9:04 pm

Alright, just called again. Rep checked the promo is indeed on account, and also specifically that acquisition wasn't declined, which she said usually it's declined because of lifetime rule. She also looked at spend total and said everything looks good, and to wait the 6 to 8 weeks.

Side note, I did receive the $1000 cert, which required the $5k spend, so that should indicate spend is met? However, I never got the $100 cert for first purchase, and rep put in a request to send me a copy.
Old Jun 5, 18, 9:06 pm

My 60k MRs were credited one day after meeting the initial spending. I would not want to mess up with this bonus. I guess some of your spending may not qualify. Ask them again. Or add more spending. Good luck.
I called a third time through the "Membership Consulting" line instead of the Plat CSR line and the rep there could not see the promo at first glance on the "front", he had to go to the "back" to see it and read me the same POID that I have recorded from the terms. He said sometimes it doesn't show on the "front" due to a "glitch", not sure if that "glitch" is related to SUB posting "late". He also said everything looks good for the bonus to post and to wait. I may just add more spend just in case.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 5, 18, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Alright, just called again. Rep checked the promo is indeed on account, and also specifically that acquisition wasn't declined, which she said usually it's declined because of lifetime rule. She also looked at spend total and said everything looks good, and to wait the 6 to 8 weeks.

Side note, I did receive the $1000 cert, which required the $5k spend, so that should indicate spend is met? However, I never got the $100 cert for first purchase, and rep put in a request to send me a copy.
Nice. They say it takes several weeks. But almost all AmEx Platinum bonus get posted day(s) after meeting the spending. Hope you get it. I got both certificates. I have no use of the dealer's certificate. Not sure what to do.
Old Jun 5, 18, 10:03 pm

Nice. They say it takes several weeks. But almost all AmEx Platinum bonus get posted day(s) after meeting the spending. Hope you get it. I got both certificates. I have no use of the dealer's certificate. Not sure what to do.
Yea this is my last flavor of Plat and previous experience has been what you said too. SO's MB Plat was also smooth sailing and received everything on schedule including the certs, so not sure what's going on with mine.
RedSun likes this.
Old Jun 6, 18, 7:18 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... almost all AmEx Platinum bonus get posted day(s) after meeting the spending...
This is an overly broad generalization. New account bonuses may post immediately, or they may post after the time specified in the terms. I have had both experiences in the past two years, and there are scores of reports of posting at the end of the period. There is no pattern, waiting is not an indication of a problem.
RedSun likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jun 6, 18 at 7:52 am
Old Jun 13, 18, 10:22 am

Anyone know what might happen if I redeem the $100 merchandise certificate and then cancel the card a few days later, thus avoiding AF? Would they try to claw back the $100 or anything?
Old Jun 19, 18, 6:11 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
no, the rewards are yours.
Old Jul 11, 18, 1:33 am

Programs: DL PM
amex emailed me an online survey about this card today -- had a few questions about how i would be impacted if the card went away (and also asked about this card compared to whichever non-amex i use the most)

my annual fee posted last statement so i went ahead and applied for a new regular plat and will cancel this one soon...
RedSun likes this.
Old Jul 21, 18, 9:28 am

My wife has also been denied her bonus points for the MB Platinum. They stated that since she previously had the vanilla platinum the promotional points for the MB would not be fulfilled. Not sure why certain people are being selected for denial when the vast majority of times they are treated as separate cards and the blogs these companies pimp their cards on even state you can get the bonus on both cards.
Old Jul 21, 18, 11:15 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lemon123 View Post
.....the vast majority of times they are treated as separate cards and the blogs these companies pimp their cards on even state you can get the bonus on both cards.
The offer terms for this card stated:
This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
...which means the bonus could be denied even though the cards are different products.

For a long while this provision was not enforced. It may be that only now does American Express have a database that effectively cross references the Platinum variants.
RedSun likes this.
Old Jul 21, 18, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lemon123 View Post
My wife has also been denied her bonus points for the MB Platinum. They stated that since she previously had the vanilla platinum the promotional points for the MB would not be fulfilled. Not sure why certain people are being selected for denial when the vast majority of times they are treated as separate cards and the blogs these companies pimp their cards on even state you can get the bonus on both cards.
Also want to add that, everyone's situation varies. All CC banks have some clearly stated policy. You may be lucky to get under the radar, but someone else may not be so lucky.

As discussed before, after the CC was approved, it is already coded as the SUB qualification. You should have checked that before you sunk the spending $$.

Search this Thread