Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: krazykanuck
Existing Benz Platinum cards will be converted to regular Platinum cards on Jan. 11, 2019 per a letter sent to all cardholders.

The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in purchases in the first three months
$550 Annual Fee, not waived

https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/partner/preacq/mbz/mbz-019/carddetails#/cshop
__________________________________________________ _____________

[EXPIRED]75K special offer:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16580

See published restrictions below. #1 is enforced. #2 is not:
  1. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  2. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by smith80678
... I wonder what happened? ...
Co-branded cards or features are never permanent. There is a contract, as it nears the end all parties review to see if renewal would meet their marketing objectives. Some partners shop their business, and end up with a different card issuer.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:43 pm

I was offered a $200 statement credit to renew today. I couldn't get answer on if I would be eligible for any welcome bonuses when it converted to a regular card in January. They would only say we never disappoint... I cancelled it...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by TinaNYNY
I was offered a $200 statement credit to renew today. I couldn't get answer on if I would be eligible for any welcome bonuses when it converted to a regular card in January. They would only say we never disappoint... I cancelled it...
Can you kindly share how the conversation went that lead up to the $200 offer?

Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:12 pm

It was fairly simple, however with that said I have been an Amex member in some form or another 22 years and did $73,000 on the card in the 1 year I had it (mercedes let me put half the price of a E300 on it, plus usual spending) Pretty much my card is up for renewal this billing cycle I called 3 weeks ago and nobody knew what would be offered in place come January and I rather not shell out over $500 for a card that will be obsolete in 8 months. I got the usual oh our customers are always happy with our replacement offers etc. Just cancel the card please, and they said how about we give you a $200 statement credit? Well that would pretty much compensate me for the 4 months I will lose come January but no thanks and that was all... He couldn't even honor the Amex business offer that was showing up on my account on line which I quickly signed up for... 75,000 miles when I spend $5,000 in 3 months. I lose my uber credit but will likely pick up a free Ameriprice card for that benefit and an extra travel credit anyway
747FC likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
SO you lost the $200 Uber credit and $200 airfare credit? Seems like the additional $200 credit would more than have covered the $550 annual fee for another 12 months. That was a great offer.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by freakflyer
SO you lost the $200 Uber credit and $200 airfare credit? Seems like the additional $200 credit would more than have covered the $550 annual fee for another 12 months. That was a great offer.
I am new to all this, so maybe somebody could help me what was so great and what I did wrong?
Amex Mercedes:
$200 credit brining my cost to $350 for renewal
minus $200 for airline credit now at $150
minus $200 for Uber Credit (however according to other threads the Uber/Amex relationship may ended well before I use all $200) still if applied I am $50 ahead.
No additional reward points
Risk of losing any future welcome offer for a Amex Platinum vanilla type card if in January it automatically converts to a vanilla Amex Platinum card...

Combined Amex Platinum Business and free Amex Platinum Ameriprise card
Total yearly fee's $450
Airline credits on both cards totaling $400 puts my cost at $50
Uber credit on Ameriprise if like previously stated lasts the full year $200
I am now at +$150 vs +$50
75,000 reward points for spending $5,000 in 3 months
1.5x points on purchases over $5,000
30-35% (I forget off hand) return of points when booking airfare with points.(some restrictions etc)
Additionally I maintain the ability to open a vanilla Amex platinum card if at some point a great offer comes about, or next year etc...
I thought I made the smarter choice, what am I missing?
Thanks in advance
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:08 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I am new to all this, so maybe somebody could help me what was so great and what I did wrong?
Amex Mercedes:
$200 credit brining my cost to $350 for renewal
minus $200 for airline credit now at $150
minus $200 for Uber Credit (however according to other threads the Uber/Amex relationship may ended well before I use all $200) still if applied I am $50 ahead.
No additional reward points
Risk of losing any future welcome offer for a Amex Platinum vanilla type card if in January it automatically converts to a vanilla Amex Platinum card...

Total yearly fee's $450
30-35% (I forget off hand) return of points when booking airfare with points.(some restrictions etc)
Additionally I maintain the ability to open a vanilla Amex platinum card if at some point a great offer comes about, or next year etc...
Thanks in advance
The Uber $200 won't go away. It is the extra MR points that is existing with AmEx, that is going away.

If I were you, I would not mix all the Platinum cards together. Get each card with its full potential.

The MB card will be converted to regular Plat card. So if you never have the regular card, close the account well ahead of the Jan-2019 conversion time. Or you lose the ability to collect bonus for the regular card.

You can pick up the Biz Plat and the Ameriprise card any time you want. But I recall it is better to wait toward the end of the year since you do collect the airline credit for both years.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I don't think any of what you did was wrong, but you started out talking about getting a $200 retention offer on your MB Plat, which I think most of us would agree is a good offer as it more or less offsets your fee for the next year. Also you say you don't want to pay a full year of fee for the remaining 8 months, which doesn't make sense. I mean you'd get a full year of benefits, it would likely just convert to a regular Platinum card. Amex isn't going to shut you off in January and say "thanks for the $550, have a nice life!" That's a good catch about not being able to get the regular Platinum card sign up offer if you let it get converted.

You kinda cluttered up the discussion by bringing both the Biz Plat and the Ameriprise Plat in, which isn't really relevant because you could have applied for, or not applied for them, regardless if you had the MB Plat or not. That's a completely independent discussion.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

Total yearly fee's $450
Thanks in advance
Airline credits are by calendar year - so it's $400 per card for a total of $800 over the first cardmember year. You'd be ahead $350 on airline credits alone.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:29 pm
Suspended

To check if you qualify for any card SUB, contact AmEx CSR and check on "declined acquisition." If you are clear from it, you will get SUB.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Received the 60k MR points after the spending. Already have the regular Platinum card. Happy with the card and the bonus. Going to keep just one when the time comes. May go after the Hilton Aspire card by then.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedSun
To check if you qualify for any card SUB, contact AmEx CSR and check on "declined acquisition." If you are clear from it, you will get SUB.
what is SUB? What are you talking about?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
what is SUB? What are you talking about?
Old May 8, 2018, 2:45 pm

May I ask when the 60,000 MR points sign up bonus get posted?
I got the card in early March, met the spending requirement in late March. However, I am yet to get the points.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Has anyone had recent success in extending the $100 merchandise cert expiration? I was successful (albeit not easy) in past years, but this year after calling Amex, MBUSA and MB Financial, no one seems to know who is the right group to handle this.

I had thought the "can use up to 30 days after expiration" meant I can redeem it until then, but dealer says it's the deadline for them to submit for reimbursement, and I still must redeem by the expiration. My oversight.

Also any DP on how soon you received the above cert after CC approval? Our last card in the family got it within a few weeks, but the latest card (for a different person) hasn't gotten it after 1.5 months.

Last edited by italdesign; May 8, 2018 at 3:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.