Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: krazykanuck
Existing Benz Platinum cards will be converted to regular Platinum cards on Jan. 11, 2019 per a letter sent to all cardholders.

The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in purchases in the first three months
$550 Annual Fee, not waived

https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/partner/preacq/mbz/mbz-019/carddetails#/cshop
__________________________________________________ _____________

[EXPIRED]75K special offer:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16580

See published restrictions below. #1 is enforced. #2 is not:
  1. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  2. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Interesting find ^.

I am not able to load the application page for the Platinum card. All links leads to the application for the credit card. However, there are two things about the Platinum Card ad copy which might be a preview of changes coming to all USA-issued Platinum cards:

1. Annual fee is $475 rather than $450. I would not be surprised to see an annual fee increase to offset the foreign transaction fee waiver.

2. American Airlines lounge access is not mentioned in the text of the main ad, although still in footnote. De-emphasis of AA ties in with discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...oing-away.html
Not a good sign that AA is in the footnotes.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Cal_92
Yes, that would have been nice. However, MB dealers typically only let you charge a $1K-2K on a credit card. (At least that has been my experience so far.) That's still a good 10K MR points, but it's not >100K MR points as it may imply. So don't feel too bad on missing out.
Mine let me do 5.3k down on my plat. 5x points ->25k MR points -> delta w/40% bonus = ~40k miles
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by roknroll
I was just about to get a Chase Sapph Pref for the 2x to use on dining and ability to transfer to CO miles. I already have PR Gold AMEX that I use for most my spend. The combination of the two seems like a great pair, since the gold didn't give bonus points for dining. I could care less about the mercedes perks, but the 3x on gas and 2x on dining pooled into the same rewards account as my PR Gold which is getting 2x groceries and 3x airlines is pretty sweet. ^

The 5k sign up bonus for the basic card is pretty weak though, compared to the 50k points on the Chase Sapph. What do you all think about the chances of the bonus going up to 25k+?

Edit:
Is it normal for their T&C explaining the bonus points earned for restaurant or gas to have bonus IDs associated with them?

Wonder what would happen if you called to try to add Bonus-ID 5979 to your PR Gold card
I was wondering the same thing. Who wants to be the guinea pig?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
$1000 MB Credit in advance?

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Mine let me do 5.3k down on my plat. 5x points ->25k MR points -> delta w/40% bonus = ~40k miles

Did they charge you the 3.9% merchant fee on the $5.3k you put down? I didnt know dealers would let you put down payments on a CC?

Im trying to purchase a new MB in August to take advantage of summer sales event pricing. However, the T&C say I must spend 5k on the card before I get the $1000 certificate towards a new MB purchase or lease. Do you think I could retroactively apply this credit to a purchase? Ill spend 5k this week but I assume the certificate wont arrive until September or later. I asked MB and AMEX and neither of them could provide a definitive answer because this card is so new. Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:54 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by VU08
I didn’t know dealers would let you put down payments on a CC?
It's very common for auto dealers (in the USA) to accept a down payment by credit card. $5,000 is a typical maximum, but it's negotiable. I suggest reviewing these two threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-car-amex.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...g-program.html
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by VU08
Did they charge you the 3.9% merchant fee on the $5.3k you put down? I didn’t know dealers would let you put down payments on a CC?

I’m trying to purchase a new MB in August to take advantage of summer sales event pricing. However, the T&C say I must spend 5k on the card before I get the “$1000 certificate towards a new MB purchase or lease.” Do you think I could retroactively apply this credit to a purchase? I’ll spend 5k this week but I assume the certificate won’t arrive until September or later. I asked MB and AMEX and neither of them could provide a definitive answer because this card is so new. Thanks for your help!
As far as i know they didnt, they printed a little reciept for me to sign showing the $5300 total. I dunno about the retroactive, thats a good question, I'll tweet it at amex and see, because my 5300 MR points are still pending, if they can give me $1000 back and ~25k MR points ill be psyched.

edit: Sent in a message asking about this. will post when they reply!

Last edited by xolinlevh; Aug 24, 2011 at 2:11 pm
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
the lack of AAdmiral's club access and bonus MRs for travel purchases make it the card a good choice only if you're purchasing a Mercedes every year.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:42 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CRAZYBUBBA
the lack of AAdmiral's club access ....
Admirals Club access is included in the Mercedes Platinum Card version, same as the standard Platinum Card. It's just not mentioned in the large print. This might signal a change in AA's relationship with American Express, or it might just be poor proofreading at the ad agency.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by mia
2. American Airlines lounge access is not mentioned in the text of the main ad, although still in footnote. De-emphasis of AA ties in with discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...oing-away.html
I think the advent of the new Citi AA high level $450 annual fee card is the death knell for Admirals Club access for Amex holders. I am sure Citi will be pushing for exclusivity

As for this new card... well it is interesting. As an MB owner it could make sense, especially as the lease is coming up on our GL. Putting $5k down to get 25k bonus points plus the potential for discount could offset the fee. But not on an ongoing basis. Surprised they didn't switch the $200 airline credit to say $200 MB servicing credit to fit the sponsor
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
As far as i know they didnt, they printed a little reciept for me to sign showing the $5300 total. I dunno about the retroactive, thats a good question, I'll tweet it at amex and see, because my 5300 MR points are still pending, if they can give me $1000 back and ~25k MR points ill be psyched.

edit: Sent in a message asking about this. will post when they reply!
Message back from amex saying to the best of their knowledge, no, i wont get the 1k credit or 5x points for my car (even tho it was just 2 weeks ago). Which i understand, but still....damn those points would have been nice
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Anyone know if the Platinum version gets the $100 global entry credit? I am thinking that was replaced by the $100 towards Mercedes accessories.

Not planning on buying another Benz in the new few years after buying one last year, but paying the extra $25 for the Mercedes card over the regular Platinum card would give me the $100 / year accessories credit for random stuff at the dealer.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:27 pm

I doubt you get the GE fee. If you look at the disclosure statement, this card has Forex fees. And I do not see PP either. Nor additional cards. I think that I will skip the tri-star logo on my card.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: Hilton diamond, BA GCH
Any chance of this being introduced in the UK?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
I have completed a little review on the Mercedes Credit Card ($95). Please visit http://drcreditcard.weebly.com/amex-mercedes-benz.html if you are interested.

My question is that whether or not services & repairs at M-B dealers count towards 5x categories. T&C reads:
5 points for every dollar of eligible purchases at authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerships, excluding monthly loan and lease payments,Bonus ID-5976;
If they do it will be pretty huge for M-B owners.

While the credit card is now on Amex website, the M-B Platinum Card is not, which is understandable. On the MBFS website, the omission of Admirals Club in the bulleted highlights does make people nervous about the regular Amex Plat considering the rumors. My first reaction was the same as some other posters that it hints the end of Admiral Club in the regular Amex Plat.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
My biggest question is can I charge my monthly MB lease payment to the card...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.