Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How long do Amex Platinum benefits last after CC is cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long do Amex Platinum benefits last after CC is cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by mia
There will be a notice on the paper/pdf statement before the one on which the fee appears. If there was no notice on the March statement, the fee will not be billed in April.
Thanks again. No notice on my March statement. ^
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:40 pm

I cancelled my Amex personal Plat on December 19th, how long does my Priority Pass last, or does it immediately go inactive? The current PP website still says it's active but obviously that doesn't mean it's current.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
How long after biz plat cancellation retain Marriot + Hilton gold status

Hey guys,

After the fee hike and getting rid of the gogo passes, I decided to downgrade my amex biz platinum to an amex biz gold since the 4x on flights and pay per click advertising fit my business a lot better, and plus I was informed since I previously had the amex biz gold I wouldn't be eligible for the 75k bonus offer (bummer). I might have kept it should I have known they were going to extend the wework benefit for another year, but it is what it is, the deed is done.

Anyways, now that i've cancelled i've noticed its been about 45 days yet, i've retained my gold status with Marriott and Hilton

How long can I expect to continue having gold status with the 2 chains? (and yes I know Marriott gold doesn't give you much but it will get me breakfast and lounge access to a Sheraton in April for 4 days presuming its still active, Hilton gold on the other hand can be very useful, oftentimes they give you free breakfast and even a solid room upgrade)

Also don't care about priority pass I know that was already cancelled have one through my CSR anyways.

p.s. I know this topic has been brought up here on FT before but all the threads were 3-4 years old with lots of conflicting information some say the change happens "right away" other say it could take 12-14 months or more. From what i've read it could be many more months possibly 1+ year until the gold status disappears. Would be nice if we can get some new data points, esp since i'm probably not the only one that just cancelled or downgraded after the fee hike and benefits reduction.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PointsPanda
How long can I expect to continue having gold status with the 2 chains? (and yes I know Marriott gold doesn't give you much but it will get me breakfast and lounge access to a Sheraton in April for 4 days presuming its still active, Hilton gold on the other hand can be very useful, oftentimes they give you free breakfast and even a solid room upgrade)
hotel status is usually good until the end of feb the following year. i too dropped my platinum amex and my hilton and marriott gold are still active.

and for info, marriott gold does not give you breakfast or access to their lounges. and if your status was for 2019, then it will expire end of feb, 2020.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Originally Posted by BenSenise
hotel status is usually good until the end of feb the following year. i too dropped my platinum amex and my hilton and marriott gold are still active.

and for info, marriott gold does not give you breakfast or access to their lounges. and if your status was for 2019, then it will expire end of feb, 2020.
Cool thanks for details.

I don't stay in hotels enough to have a lot of data points but I stayed at a Sheraton in Austin last year for 4 nights and my spg/marriot gold status got me into the lounge, and therefore breakfast since its served in the lounge. Perhaps at Marriott its different, or they just hooked me up one time, I don't know.

Sounds like a coin toss that is going to expire either next month (most likely unfortunately) or Feb 2021 if i'm lucky. I cancelled in late December.

My hope from reading previous posters is that when you cancel Amex aggressively contacts its various benefit providers to cancel, but since I downgraded maybe the agent got lazy or forgot, and I might keep the status for longer, guess we'll see right. Will def report back to you guys! Perhaps downgrading instead of cancelling can be a sneaky way of keeping status a while longer, since i presume maybe they don't follow the "cancellation standard operating procedure" which i'd presume is probably done by an employee and not automatically (except perhaps with Delta)
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:59 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Does anyone know how long you keep the Hilton status after you cancel your Amex Platinum card? My card is up for renewal in end of February but I am not planning on renewing it. Hilton Honors status usually expire at the end of March if I remember correctly. Should I expect my status to expire at the end of March, or would it be valid through all of 2020?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Does anyone know how long you keep the Hilton status after you cancel your Amex Platinum card? My card is up for renewal in end of February but I am not planning on renewing it. Hilton Honors status usually expire at the end of March if I remember correctly. Should I expect my status to expire at the end of March, or would it be valid through all of 2020?
I think Hilton status expires at the end of February, not March. If I'm right about that, it'll be close for you.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by pallhedge
I think Hilton status expires at the end of February, not March. If I'm right about that, it'll be close for you.
Would that mean that I could theoretically log on to Amex, 'renew' my Hilton status before my statement is due, wait for the Hilton Gold status to come into effect, and then cancel my Amex?

Provided that my Hilton status expires at the end of Feb of course. My Amex statement payment is due 23 March.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Would that mean that I could theoretically log on to Amex, 'renew' my Hilton status before my statement is due, wait for the Hilton Gold status to come into effect, and then cancel my Amex?

Provided that my Hilton status expires at the end of Feb of course. My Amex statement payment is due 23 March.
If I'm right about the timing, then yes.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Sorry to revive this thread but any chance a (recently) expired Amex Plat card still works, if swiped, at a Delta lounge for the purposes of gaining lounge access?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by JFSV
Sorry to revive this thread but any chance a (recently) expired Amex Plat card still works, if swiped, at a Delta lounge for the purposes of gaining lounge access?
lol
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
No chance.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:15 am

I actually tried (used the wrong card) this for a Priority Pass lounge and it didn't work. I tried it about 2 weeks after I cancelled it though.
Old May 1, 2021, 7:18 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Optimum time to activate hotel gold status

I applied for and received an Amex Platinum card last month (April). I have no immediate travel plans and may not be traveling until next Spring. I will not be renewing the Platinum card for another year beginning next April. If I wait until early 2022 to activate the Hilton and Marriott Gold status will I retain that status for the balance of 2022 and all of 2023. If not what is my best strategy for activating the status to maximize the duration of gold status. Thanks
Old May 5, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by ned
I applied for and received an Amex Platinum card last month (April). I have no immediate travel plans and may not be traveling until next Spring. I will not be renewing the Platinum card for another year beginning next April. If I wait until early 2022 to activate the Hilton and Marriott Gold status will I retain that status for the balance of 2022 and all of 2023. If not what is my best strategy for activating the status to maximize the duration of gold status. Thanks
if you cancel your Platinum Card you will lose status immediately. You might as well activate when you receive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.