Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Supermarket category bonus points not posting [beginning December 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Supermarket category bonus points not posting [beginning December 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Amex HHonors bonus points not posting [December 2013]

So I have to add on another night for a stay at the Conrad Koh Samui and I was short about 50k. I planned on just using gift cards at safeway to earn those quickly. Well my december statement posted with my 8k grocery store spend and a little bit of other legit spend, but I only received 3ppd for the grocery store spend. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I would think that if they saw an itemized statement showing gift card purchases I wouldn't even receive the 3ppd.

Thanks for any help!!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
So I have to add on another night for a stay at the Conrad Koh Samui and I was short about 50k. I planned on just using gift cards at safeway to earn those quickly. Well my december statement posted with my 8k grocery store spend and a little bit of other legit spend, but I only received 3ppd for the grocery store spend. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I would think that if they saw an itemized statement showing gift card purchases I wouldn't even receive the 3ppd.

Thanks for any help!!
The same thing happened to me for roughly the same amount. I called late last week, and the CSR confirmed that for some reason no bonus points were posted for Safeway purchases. She stated that a ticket would be submitted and the correct number of points would be calculated manually, and that I could expect to see them within 72 hours. I'm still waiting, and plan to call again tomorrow.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: ALL :)

Thanks for any help!!
Same thing happened, to me, I was like RUH ROH

I messaged them and they said they would look into it. FYI mine was legit spend at a Grocery store that I had previously received the bonus for.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Well I called a couple times and from what they told me I have to wait for them to "investigate" why the points weren't posted. I was told it should take anywhere from 4-6 weeks. Have you guys had any luck with them posting them any sooner?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:07 am

Well I called a couple times and from what they told me I have to wait for them to "investigate" why the points weren't posted. I was told it should take anywhere from 4-6 weeks. Have you guys had any luck with them posting them any sooner?
They told me they would have a manager call me back but I never heard back. I does not make me feel very confident to use this card in the new year. Never the less I have put a couple grocery charges on it to see how it posts next statement, maybe its a one time fluke. Or maybe they did a massive change to exclude grocery stores, that are not considered "Super Markets" whatever that means
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by steventravel
..."Super Markets" whatever that means
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...fo/retail.html

U.S. Supermarkets

To earn additional rewards on supermarket purchases, the supermarket must be located in the U.S.

A supermarket offers a wide variety of food and household products such as meat, fresh produce, dairy, canned and packaged goods, household cleaners, pharmacy products and pet supplies.

(Superstores, convenience stores and warehouse clubs are NOT considered supermarkets.)

Examples of merchants* that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards include:
Gristedes
Foodtown
Pathmark
Shoprite
Stop and Shop
Vons
Whole Foods
Winn-Dixie
Online supermarkets such as FreshDirect

*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
Specialty stores (e.g., fish markets, cheese shops, wine shops, and other specialty food stores )
Superstores (e.g. Amazon, Target and Wal-Mart)
Warehouse clubs (e.g. BJ's Club and Costco Wholesale)
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:49 am

If you charge on the card and look at the category that shows on the statement. I have never seen Super Market show up, but I have seen Grocery store. Whole Foods = Whole Paycheck so I don't typically shop there, to know if it shows up as a Super Market as opposed to a grocery store.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Amex surpass bonus points not posting

Just an update received an email tonight saying it was an error with safeway and that the points would post shortly.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:35 pm

HH 6x/5x at grocery only posting 3x in December?

Have both Surpass and plain Amex HH card. Both statements just posted and all my grocery 6x/5x only posted as 3x in December. Have never had such an issue in the past.

Anyone else seeing this problem?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Appended farwest101's report to a thread reporting the same, or related, problem.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:21 am

Just an update received an email tonight saying it was an error with safeway and that the points would post shortly.
What does "shortly" mean? A week, a month?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:24 am

Happened to me as well. Took over an hour for them to open up an investigation. I then had to send them documentation of all the purchases through the mail. Haven't heard back. The CSR's are all so imcompetent it is unbelieveable.

Edit: Just got a message in my inbox from Amex stating they have applied the missing points to my hilton account except they forgot to type the last number of my hilton account in the message and the points aren't there, I'll give it a few days.

Last edited by ibleed0range; Jan 6, 2014 at 10:46 am
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
Happened to me as well. Took over an hour for them to open up an investigation. I then had to send them documentation of all the purchases through the mail. Haven't heard back. The CSR's are all so imcompetent it is unbelieveable.

Edit: Just got a message in my inbox from Amex stating they have applied the missing points to my hilton account except they forgot to type the last number of my hilton account in the message and the points aren't there, I'll give it a few days.
What documentation did you have to send them?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by steventravel
What documentation did you have to send them?
I printed a copy of my statement and circled all the purchases. I then typed up a short letter and created a table explaining the exact number of points I am missing and why in terms of a 5 year olds comprehension.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
I printed a copy of my statement and circled all the purchases. I then typed up a short letter and created a table explaining the exact number of points I am missing and why in terms of a 5 year olds comprehension.
Did you have a "lot" of Safeway/Vons purchases in increments of $505.95 region? I did, and am hesitant to bring eyeballs to my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.