Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone think American Express's "Link, Like, Love" promo is creepy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, I think it is.

Here's what it wants me to do:

LINK
Go to our secure sign up page to link your American Express® Card to the Facebook program.

Explore the special deals and experiences we've selected for you based on your likes and interests, as well as the likes and interests of your Facebook friends.

LOVE
Choose the deals and experiences you love! Just click 'Add to Card' or 'Redeem Online' and use your linked American Express Card to enjoy couponless savings.

Once you LINK, LIKE, LOVE, all you have to do is use your American Express Card as you usually do! American Express will send statement credits to your card account as you shop online or in store. No coupons, no print-outs and no need to pre-purchase anything -- just cash back on your statement!

Your card account information will remain private, protected, and will not be shared with Facebook.
Really? I don't think I can trust that promise!

I really, really do not think it's wise to link my private financial account to my Facebook account.

Besides, why don't they set up a promo where every card member can join without using a Facebook account!
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:08 pm

As someone who has developed Facebook applications with similar use cases, Facebook is not getting knowledge of your AMEX account, rather its the opposite being done: AMEX will have access to your Facebook data and can likely make targeted offers and creditworthiness decisions using this new data, along with all the other information they have on you.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
Besides, why don't they set up a promo where every card member can join without using a Facebook account!
Ummm... because they are targeting Facebook users?!

I think it's called "Marketing"

Regards
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:03 pm

I wish I could sign up for the Roy's credit under this promotion but it never shows up as an option for me. Bummer! I could really use it too.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SIAMEX
As someone who has developed Facebook applications with similar use cases, Facebook is not getting knowledge of your AMEX account, rather its the opposite being done: AMEX will have access to your Facebook data and can likely make targeted offers and creditworthiness decisions using this new data, along with all the other information they have on you.
I've signed up a few promotions where I had to "like" the company's page. In this case, I have to link my Amex card to the FB account.

Creepy!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:06 am

I signed up, you are taken to amex secure pages to enter any amex info.

It's only creepy if you forget to press the "skip" button when it asks about posting the deal you signed up for to your wall. You can also "skip" the posting to your wall when you do the initial linking.

Even better, make a 2nd fb account for promos. But in this case, some of the promos are good enough that you might want use 2 accounts to register 2 different cards if you can take advantage of them. (like the $40 off Westin & Sheraton deals.)

-David
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:42 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I signed up, you are taken to amex secure pages to enter any amex info.

It's only creepy if you forget to press the "skip" button when it asks about posting the deal you signed up for to your wall. You can also "skip" the posting to your wall when you do the initial linking.

Even better, make a 2nd fb account for promos. But in this case, some of the promos are good enough that you might want use 2 accounts to register 2 different cards if you can take advantage of them. (like the $40 off Westin & Sheraton deals.)

-David
I'm from HK, but we have the same thing with our banks here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-65.html#964
http://www.facebook.com/TheDBSBlackCardHongKong (the DBS Black Card is an AE-licenced card issued by a local bank)
http://dbs3.esdlife.com/blackbazaar/en/

We are not required to enter our FB account into the bank's (DBS's) web pages - the bank seemed to have merely hidden the link to the promotion in its FB group page.

But what can the merchant do to me or find out about me if I FB "liked" it? Why are they so keen on doing this?

I haven't thought about using a second FB account cos I am worried the bank will check who has FB "liked" it before releasing the promotion's award, so a name identical or similar to our bank account names are necessary. However, if we are allowed to pre-register our Facebook names, then I see the possibility of using a second FB account (I already have two - one covering my net handle and one for my real life contacts).

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 2, 2011 at 4:53 am
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith

I haven't thought about using a second FB account cos I am worried the bank will check who has FB "liked" it before releasing the promotion's award, so a name identical or similar to our bank account names are necessary. However, if we are allowed to pre-register our Facebook names, then I see the possibility of using a second FB account (I already have two - one covering my net handle and one for my real life contacts).
Good idea. Thanks. I guess I can set one up that has zero friends.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem

-David
Thanks for the suggestion; I might do this. Also saw there may be a Whole Foods discount. Do you see it? What is it?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:34 am

Also saw there may be a Whole Foods discount. Do you see it? What is it?
Yeah, used it on both cards, got the credits. $5 off $20 purchase.

The annoying thing to me is that you have to keep hitting "more" to see all the offers. I wish they would have a way you could just see all the offers on one page.

Originally Posted by percysmith
Yes, I understand your concern, so read the t&cs and privacy polices carefully, I suppose. If you can't live with it, then don't sign up?

In the US, the process to sign you up and give you your credits is all done by computer. When I shopped at Whole Foods, by the time I got home there was an email thanking me and telling me the credit would post in a few days. And it did.

US Amex is having a big tv advertising campaign trying to tie their cards into "social networks", showing friends communicating about their shopping on their smart phones. So I guess this fb promo is part of that tie-in.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 4, 2011 at 5:43 am
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:51 pm

The discount is really fast, BTW. I signed up for the promo, and I got an email confirming that I would be credited 2-3 mins after the retailers swiped my card! ^
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Change cards

Does anyone know if we can change cards after we've signed up on Facebook?

I signed up a few days ago using my AMEX Platinum card. However, I just applied and was approved for the Starwood AMEX. I would perfer to have that card tied to this promotion, instead of the one I registered with.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by cyncyn129

I signed up a few days ago using my AMEX Platinum card. However, I just applied and was approved for the Starwood AMEX. I would perfer to have that card tied to this promotion, instead of the one I registered with.

Why not just create another fb account? All you need is another email address. (gmail, hotmail or whatever.)

-David
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cyncyn129
I was just wondering the same thing (couldn't even remember if I'd signed up my Gold or SPG card for the promotion). Sent a message to @AskAmex and got a swift reply that it's not possible to change the linked card at the moment but they're working on that. Offered, in the meantime, to let them know if I made a purchase on another card and wanted to have them apply the coupon - nice customer service!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
I've signed up a few promotions where I had to "like" the company's page. In this case, I have to link my Amex card to the FB account.

Creepy!
Since these offers are transaction-based (i.e. you get the $ because you purchased [X] on your Amex), I don't really see a way around linking your actual account information. How else can the promotion be applied to your card (from you clicking on Facebook) without you logging in? There's no way to just verify an Amex account based on clicking "like" (your alternative)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.