Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FHR back-to-back booking questions.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kodalip
My parents and I are traveling to australia and I will be arriving to Sydney one day later than them. If they book a two person room for the first night and then a 3 person room on the second night (second one under my name), would we run the risk of the anti-gaming rules. There is a genuine reason for booking it this way since we save about $100 for the first night and would book two different types of rooms
Is your intent to change room after the first night? It’s fine but you have to decide if it’s worth saving $100 to make your parents move room after a long flight.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
My parents and I are traveling ....
Do you and your parents have unrelated Platinum Card accounts?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by mia
Do you and your parents have unrelated Platinum Card accounts?
No, our accounts are related but the reservations could be done across several accounts. The first will be for 2 and the second will be for 3 so could that be classified as different travelers?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:42 am

No, our accounts are related but the reservations could be done across several accounts. The first will be for 2 and the second will be for 3 so could that be classified as different travelers?
Really boils down to your goal. If you want to save money because a room for 2 people is cheaper, then you are fine. If your goal is to get an extra $100 credit for booking a separate stay, then that's exactly why Amex updated the terms.
Old May 31, 2023, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL PM
Okay, I'm probably overthinking this, but what if I do this:

Night 1: FHR
Night 2-3: entirely different hotel
Night 4: (same) FHR
Night 5-6: entirely different hotel
Night 7: (same) FHR

So basically three 1-night FHR stays, each being 2 days apart. This would get me the $100 credit each time (x3), correct?
Old May 31, 2023, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by kamadzu4
Okay, I'm probably overthinking this, but what if I do this:

Night 1: FHR
Night 2-3: entirely different hotel
Night 4: (same) FHR
Night 5-6: entirely different hotel
Night 7: (same) FHR

So basically three 1-night FHR stays, each being 2 days apart. This would get me the $100 credit each time (x3), correct?
Yup. You’re over thinking this. You should get three $100 credits.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:58 pm

Don't think I've seen this question explicitly answered. If I have 2 different plat card and book bak-to-back stays, would I get $200 credit for each card or it's now against the T&C?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
Don't think I've seen this question explicitly answered. If I have 2 different plat card and book bak-to-back stays, would I get $200 credit for each card or it's now against the T&C?
If you mean the $200 FHR/HC credit you get by booking the hotel on a personal plat card, you can get that credit on both of your cards no problem.

The credit that they are saying is against T&C is the $100 on property credit that you get once per stay. Guests were making single night FHR bookings back to back to get that $100 for each stay/ night. So Amex wants to avoid that and officially you only have a single $100 property credit for consecutive nights stayed at the same property even if you booked each night on a separate credit card as a separate stay.
flyershmlyer likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
If you mean the $200 FHR/HC credit you get by booking the hotel on a personal plat card, you can get that credit on both of your cards no problem.

The credit that they are saying is against T&C is the $100 on property credit that you get once per stay. Guests were making single night FHR bookings back to back to get that $100 for each stay/ night. So Amex wants to avoid that and officially you only have a single $100 property credit for consecutive nights stayed at the same property even if you booked each night on a separate credit card as a separate stay.
Thx! Correct, the hotel credit (Not the amenity credit). Say, you have vanilla plat and schwab and book back-to-back with each.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
Thx! Correct, the hotel credit (Not the amenity credit). Say, you have vanilla plat and schwab and book back-to-back with each.
Yes, each card is eligible for its own $200. Same for spouses that each have their own personal Platinum card.
flyershmlyer likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by blackzarg
I did this successfully during July 2022. 4 nights total, the first and last were FHR and the middle were Marriott certificates.
Originally Posted by frudd38
To clarify, it's a full night gap, not technically back to back.

Night 1 = FHR
Night 2 = non FHR
Night 3 = FHR
Any recent datapoints on doing this? I'm tempted to do a week in which its 3 FHR, 1 Points booking, 3 FHR nights all back-to-back. The motive is the special offer on resort credit for a three night stay.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by BLazarus22
Any recent datapoints on doing this? I'm tempted to do a week in which its 3 FHR, 1 Points booking, 3 FHR nights all back-to-back. The motive is the special offer on resort credit for a three night stay.
There’s nothing wrong with booking it this way, but per Amex rule, the hotel doesn’t have to give you a second $100 for the second 3 night stay.
BLazarus22 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:24 am

I am currently on a 2 night back-to-back FHR stay at Bastid del Gordes in France.

The bookings were made with two entirely separate credit cards with different accounts, and under different names.

The hotel is 100% certain that this only counts as one stay, even though they are making us switch rooms (not their fault, I expected that).

Multiple hotel staff told me:

- we had to check out of our first room by 12 noon because the guaranteed 4pm checkout only counts “once per stay”

- we only get one $100 spa credit as it only applies once per stay

I tried pushing back lightly but they were 100% firm. They are wrong, right?

we are currently at the spa sans room because we had to be out by 12 and our new room won’t be ready for 4 hours. Bummer!
Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dval44

The bookings were made with two entirely separate credit cards with different accounts, and under different names.
Read this thread: Anti-Gaming Language Added to FHR/THC Terms

Back-to-back stays booked by a single Card Member, Card Members staying in the same room or Card Members traveling in the same party within a 24-hour period at the same property are considered one stay and are ineligible for additional FHR benefits ("Prohibited Action"). American Express and the Property reserve the right to modify or revoke FHR benefits at any time without notice if we or they determine, in our or their sole discretion, that you may have engaged in a Prohibited Action, or have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with your FHR benefits.
dval44 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:58 am

Oh interesting and thank you! I had no idea. Logically it really is two separate reservations (and they are treating it as such).

In the end I think we are walking away with 0 FHR benefits:

- breakfast included for all guests anyways
- no upgrade offered
- we checked in at 7pm
- we will have to check out the last day at 11am for travel plans
- prolly not gonna use the 85 EUR spa treatment
- had to be without a room for serval hours in the middle of the day

All in all, don’t think we “gamed” too much though all I really wanted was to get the Amex hotel credit, which we did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.